Number of workers on zero-hours contracts up by 19%

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Number of workers on zero-hours contracts up by 19%

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/02/number-of-workers-on-zero-hours-contracts-up-by-19

A disgrace and it's only going to get worse under this government.

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ZHC job suits me.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ZHC job suits me.

Good for you.

There are many people it does't suit however, and this is no doubt becoming an increasing the number.

The answer is simple, give people a choice. We know why they won't give people a choice, because many would choose not to have them. If everyone loves them so much, it wouldn't be a problem then would it to offer a choice, as everyone would stay on these lovely exploitative things?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Research has shown that workers on zero-hours contracts earn less per hour than staff in similar roles and are denied benefits such as sick pay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Good for you.

There are many people it does't suit however, and this is no doubt becoming an increasing the number.

The answer is simple, give people a choice. We know why they won't give people a choice, because many would choose not to have them. If everyone loves them so much, it wouldn't be a problem then would it to offer a choice, as everyone would stay on these lovely exploitative things?

Not everyone loves them, but they do suit a lot of people and aren't all exploitative by a long way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Research has shown that workers on zero-hours contracts earn less per hour than staff in similar roles and are denied benefits such as sick pay.

Depends on the role I guess. There are plenty of jobs where the rate on ZHC would be higher per hour.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Good for you.

What evidence do you have?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »

That no choice is offered.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That no choice is offered.

That's not evidence to the question. Then again, you don't do evidence :)
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ZHC job suits me.

Does it pay your mortgage,rent,bills etc. or is it just a top up pin money
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What evidence would you need? Only an idiot would think that a ZHC offering no guaranteed minimum income would be suitable for someone with guaranteed minimum outgoings to pay from their wages, and that said person would accept a ZHC position if they had a choice.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zero-hours = slavery :( >:(
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Zero-hours = slavery :( >:(

Not if you're getting £150 per hour
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

or a student wanting flexible working hours, or a stay at home mother wanting some work, or a semi-retired person wanting a few hours to top up their pension.

People seem to think ZHC is something bad, when in fact it's the opposite.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    or a student wanting flexible working hours, or a stay at home mother wanting some work, or a semi-retired person wanting a few hours to top up their pension.

But no good for people who need a regular income. Ok if you need a bit of pin money, or pocket money. And no good if you are expected to be avaible at the drop of a hat if you have commitments like children to look after, as aranging child care at short notice can be a nightmare
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

Thousands of the working poor from the thread link on ZHC's don't get that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Most Zero Hour Contract workers dont have sick pay or pension.

There is a big pension timebomb coming. The autoenrollment so far only applies to full time workers.

Not looking forward for when I'm too old to work, personally. I dont think a state pension will exist in any form.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Thousands of the working poor from the thread link on ZHC's don't get that.

But some slaves do?

Or perhaps Zero-hours <> slavery after all
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

[some] People seem to think ZHC is [automatically] something bad, when in fact [for some] it's the opposite
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    [some] People seem to think ZHC is [automatically] something bad, when in fact [for some] it's the opposite

Really? On DS threads ZHC is a brilliant invention. What better way of stopping JSA than 'offering' an unemployed person a ZHC at Sports Direct or somewhere similar, which in some cases can actually equate to Zero Hours in a week. And then watch the Housing Benefits office have to re-evaluate their claim every single week because financial help is completely linked to weekly wage.

Of course ZHC works in situations where both the employer and employee see fit and shouldnt ever be scrapped in these scenarios, but these are a small minority of ZHC's. Most are just big corp finding an ever cheaper way of employing people so that the state has to pick up the rest of the tab to allow said person to survive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    Does it pay your mortgage,rent,bills etc. or is it just a top up pin money

It goes towards the bills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    What evidence would you need? Only an idiot would think that a ZHC offering no guaranteed minimum income would be suitable for someone with guaranteed minimum outgoings to pay from their wages, and that said person would accept a ZHC position if they had a choice.

It depends entirely on the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    Really? On DS threads ZHC is a brilliant invention. What better way of stopping JSA than 'offering' an unemployed person a ZHC at Sports Direct or somewhere similar, which in some cases can actually equate to Zero Hours in a week. And then watch the Housing Benefits office have to re-evaluate their claim every single week because financial help is completely linked to weekly wage.

Of course ZHC works in situations where both the employer and employee see fit and shouldnt ever be scrapped in these scenarios, but these are a small minority of ZHC's. Most are just big corp finding an ever cheaper way of employing people so that the state has to pick up the rest of the tab to allow said person to survive.

I don't think that they are a small minority. Out of the 744 thousand total ZHC, how many are students working, people with 2nd jobs, older semi-retired folk or various locum jobs? I couldn't give you the exact figures, but I doubt it's a small minority.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether ZHC's are fair or not all boils down to how much per hour people on them are getting. If it's minimum wage, I don't see how you can afford to take on a mortgage / pay rent and pay your monthly bills unless you've got a partner who's also working. I can only think that minimum wage ZHC are for people who want top-up money and aren't having to worry about paying their rent.

I've noticed that more and more retail stores - including Next - aren't employing people above 16 hours a week most of the time and if you're a young person wanting independence from your parents - ie your own place - that kind of job is no good to you.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    No. Jol said the number of people with ZHC when it doesn't suit them is increasing. What evidence does he have? (Hint. The answer is none as per usual for Jol's tirades)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Jol said the number of people with ZHC when it doesn't suit them is increasing. What evidence does he have? (Hint. The answer is none as per usual for Jol's tirades)

And 'Pumping Iron' made similar unsupported statements.
    And the only tirade I see is from you, as usual.