EE's 100GB PAYG SIMs are back

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    There are different top ups. If you needed calls and texts, you wouldn't add a data pack that comes with some token calls/texts.

But I agree about EE seemingly wanting to protect its network from heavy usage, but it is worth noting that in some parts of central London and elsewhere, I've seen (and others have too) that EE is already suffering and speeds can be waaaaay down in the daytime.

Sadly this suggests that EE hasn't quite got the capacity to cope, and may not be able to offer those nice big data packages without quite a lot more investment.

Nevertheless, I still want EE to work to a point where it can offer larger mobile broadband tariffs, which is of course possible, technically at least.

We all know how BT hates investment! The shape of things to come I guess.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I don't understand this thread at all. I have a spare phone on EE PAYG and at the rate per minute being charged, a £10 top-up would only give me a few short calls. I keep it for emergencies and hardly dare use it for casual phone calls.

I don't understand your lack of understanding.

The reason why people get sort of excited about it is because you're getting 201GB or data (1GB for topping up + two months of 100GB each) for a tenner, on a network with pretty good 4G coverage. It's not bad really, but we're all moaning because EE won't offer actual price plans with decent amounts of data for reasonable prices

Obviously the SIM is not for you if it's for a phone you keep in the glovebox
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Topped up the £10, texted the code and now I have my free 100GB for this month! VOILA thanks EE! ;-) :D
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Topped up the £10, texted the code and now I have my free 100GB for this month! VOILA thanks EE! ;-) :D

I also still got the £10 credit?

Yes, the 100GB starts when you use the 1GB up.

Is it really another 100GB the second month? I thought it just lasted two months, but perhaps needs a second top up in month two.

It's all very confusing.

I should know soon though, as my SIM is coming today and the postman usually gets to me by 11am.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I agree about EE seemingly wanting to protect its network from heavy usage, but it is worth noting that in some parts of central London and elsewhere, I've seen (and others have too) that EE is already suffering and speeds can be waaaaay down in the daytime.

Perhaps this is ultimately why the double data promotion was ended, and we seemingly always hear rumours about the Mobile Data Sim Tariffs being 'refreshed' / reviewed but it never actually happening?. Somebody previously also mentioned about the Home 4GEE tariff seemingly grinding to a halt in its roll out, so again......

I suspect they watched Three eventually remove its "The network built for the internet" tag and don't want to have to repeat a similar climb down themselves with having to remove their own "The fastest, most reliable network".
    Nevertheless, I still want EE to work to a point where it can offer larger mobile broadband tariffs, which is of course possible, technically at least.

Me too, however i'm getting less and less convinced that this will ever happen, especially as you have already said, in London its struggling to cope with existing use, from what, let's be honest, are pretty mundane data allowances sold at a premium price point.

Both EE and Three have become pretty Stagnant in their MBB offerings, nothing has changed significantly there other than perhaps contract periods or a rolling 30 day option being introduced. Am I right in thinking that Three's current MBB tariffs have been around since about 2009 / 2010?, and I was on an Orange 10GB MBB Tariff in 2010!. I honestly wouldn't at all be surprised to get to 2020, and still find exactly the same tariffs on offer! :o
    Is it really another 100GB the second month? I thought it just lasted two months, but perhaps needs a second top up in month two.

If you read the T&C's at their face value it only mentions one £10 top up, after which you get 100GB per month, for two consecutive months for Free - plus of course the original 1GB which came with the £10 top up - add on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yer I think it's just the one £10?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my Sim in the post today. Popped it in my phone and data worked straight away so no need to top up. Happy days :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I haven't put my SIM in yet, and left it at home, but plan to wait a bit before activating it.

Of course I might just order one for the wife, my three year old son, the car, goldfish, the birds nesting in my garden...!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got the press release from EE about this. I hope the email wasn't sent using EE's network!!
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my Sim in the post today. Popped it in my phone and data worked straight away so no need to top up. Happy days :D

Has that happened for anyone else?

How much data does it say you have, 1GB or 100GB?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »

To check data allowance: http://add-on.ee.co.uk/status
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Am I right in saying that your phone won't switch to 4G until any data is done transferring over 3G?

My Vodafone 4G SIM will take a solid 10 minutes to switch over to 4G sometimes or it might not switch at all, despite being in an area with full 4G signal.
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that your phone won't switch to 4G until any data is done transferring over 3G?

My Vodafone 4G SIM will take a solid 10 minutes to switch over to 4G sometimes or it might not switch at all, despite being in an area with full 4G signal.

My Voda sim takes awhile as well, seems to be longer than the EE SIM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »

It says 50MB 19/05/2015 Active

This data add-on expires when you have used up the data or when the time has run out. You can top up and buy a new data add-on to go back online.

1GB Watiing

From your £10 data pack.

This give you 50mins, 50 texts, and 1GB for up to 30 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. All PAYG cards come with 50MB free.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my sim today, topped up £10 and am using my data now. When it's all done it will go in the bin and I'm back to Three. If EE start to offer bigger data allowances I'll take them up but if they just want to do these promos then I'll use them while I can and that's it.
  • Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange... I didn't have to top up and there was already £0.01 creditted to my account ;-

http://i.imgur.com/rEhnIeT.png

and it also says :

Current pack
    £10 Data Pack
    30 days remaining
    Once pack starts
    Your £10 Data Pack will start as soon as you call, text or browse

Strange... I've done the above and it's not activating the pack maybe there's a way around it ;)
  • Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now it quickly changed to :

Current pack
    £10 Data Pack
    -1 days left
    Ends
    Don't forget to top up or you'll miss out on your next pack.

Unable to call or text but i'm perfectly fine streaming a youtube video... Confusing

and now it's changed to ;-

Current pack
    £10 Data Pack
    1 day left
    Ends 21 MAY 2015

is EE's systems messed up or something?

I had the IVR system yesterday tell me my EE bill was paid when it wasn't?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they've set it up to automatically debit £10 (and do so again after 30 days) once you put some credit on.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine thru the post this morning, will activate it later this week
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time you didn't even have to buy a add-on with the Dan and Phill sim I got the addon pre-applied.

Lets hope this is the same (If it is i'll be getting another 3) ;)

Hi as you have previously used a similar offer do you know if it is possible to put the sim in a 3G non smart phone to activate via the text message and then put it in a dongle or mifi to use.
    Enquiring for a friend who does not have a smartphone but uses a mifi.
    Thanks
    mastanlem
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi as you have previously used a similar offer do you know if it is possible to put the sim in a 3G non smart phone to activate via the text message and then put it in a dongle or mifi to use.

Can't answer your phone question directly, but every Dongle and Mi-Fi that i've ever owned has had some kind of ability to send / receive a text via the Mifi admin panel (or Dongle connection software).

I've just topped up my sim with £10 by texting a voucher code number, and then activated the 100GB allowance, all via texts sent to '150' via the admin panel on my mi-fi - I didn't need to put it in a phone.
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mastanlem wrote: »
    Enquiring for a friend who does not have a smartphone but uses a mifi.
    Thanks
    mastanlem

Yep that should work fine, and a lot of users here use these sims in mifi devices fine
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched a few 1080p youtube videos last night and this morning, got a text saying the data from my £10 pack has run out. The data is still flowing though, 99.9GB to go according to the EE app :)

I have to say, the EE app is still shockingly bad. Have to open it and force close it then open it again to make it start, and once it's open, it runs at about 5fps and feels so laggy.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I don't understand your lack of understanding.

As I understand it, I understand that I don't not understand your lack of understanding of his lack of understanding.......
    Gettng my coat now.......
    :D
This discussion has been closed.