Are they allowed to use the internet?

redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since they never seem to, it would appear that they're not allowed. If I were researching prices, market etc google would certainly be my first stop. It's the same with the valuing tasks etc, they'd make way more money and it's something you would be able to do in any real job.

I understand that they need to be resourceful etc but given the length of the tasks......who could rebrand a town given pretty much a day and a half? It just seems to make things very difficult for the candidates. :confused:

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The internet and Google is such a crutch for everyone today, I suppose Sir A wants to see them exercise there own little brains.
  • redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    The internet and Google is such a crutch for everyone today, I suppose Sir A wants to see them exercise there own little brains.

So you would never use it work, especially when you have two days to complete something? I am particualrly thinking about valuing tasks, how on earth are they meant to know the value of second hand shoes, which are actually vintage when they are a trainee stockbroker or marketing manager?
    Google is only a crutch if that is all one uses, I just think it would allow them time to exhibit actual business skills. They will still have plenty opportunity to exercise their brains.
  • ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fairly sure I've seen them researching in that there interweb in past series

It just doesn't make good telly does it? Plus you do need a certain amount of smarts to know how and where to search
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I auditioned a few years ago and was told no phone, family, OR internet!
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »

No internet!
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
  • redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic8Ball wrote: »

Aren't you clever......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »

I assume you mean no contact with family members via the internet.....I`am sure I`v seen team members using the internet for research purposes in previous series`s.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume you mean no contact with family members via the internet.....I`am sure I`v seen team members using the internet for research purposes in previous series`s.:confused:

It depends on the rules of each ask. In design tasks they are sometimes allowed to use the internet. If the task involves evaluation they are only allowed to use the yellow pages.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What always confuses me is how they always seem to find a lead for everything. I know they can use the yellow pages if their looking for something specific, but sometimes im like :eek: how the hell did they find that place?
  • cookie_365cookie_365 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't - the producers do.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member

The irony that the first couple of results are DS- related :D:D
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    ~V~ wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I've seen them researching in that there interweb in past series

It just doesn't make good telly does it? Plus you do need a certain amount of smarts to know how and where to search

They certainly have used the Internet in the past and given the timescales its one of the few ways of doing the research

The reality as well is it would be almost impossible to stop them using the internet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob22A wrote: »
    They certainly have used the Internet in the past and given the timescales its one of the few ways of doing the research

The reality as well is it would be almost impossible to stop them using the internet.

They are not allowed to use the internet in the house. In some tasks the rules clearly state that they cannot use the internet. For example in the 10 items task they are only allowed to use the yellow pages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it all goes to show what we know already: that the tasks (and particularly the time-frame in which they have to be accomplished) bear no relation to anything you would be asked to do in the real world of work where the internet is obviously the main tool for initial research - and a great deal more.
    Forum Member
    They are not allowed to use the internet in the house. In some tasks the rules clearly state that they cannot use the internet. For example in the 10 items task they are only allowed to use the yellow pages.

It would very difficult to stop them. You can get wireless internet on a mobile.
    Forum Member
    It depends on the rules of each ask. In design tasks they are sometimes allowed to use the internet. If the task involves evaluation they are only allowed to use the yellow pages.

There are no publihed rules that I am aware of people seem to be inventing their own rules
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would very difficult to stop them. You can get wireless internet on a mobile.

An ex candidate said that their personal mobile phones are taken from them. Each team is given two mobile phones to communicate. They are also filmed all the time so it would be difficult for them to use the internet without the Camera crew seeing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely ridiculous they can't use the internet. What's the yellow pages but an older and much reduced form of the internet printed in a big yellow book?

And Sir Alan's company has been producing stuff to get us on the internet and get connected so I can't see what the problem is. Crazy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no publihed rules that I am aware of people seem to be inventing their own rules

I am not inventing these rules. I am getting this information from the diary of Adam Hosker and from the posts of other past candidates. These rules are sometimes clear in the voiceover at the beginning of the 10 items buying task in series 3:

At 5.56 the voiceover says:

"with only the yellow pages to help them".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha!
    That's great! :D
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha! That's hilarious. Thanks for the timesaver for future ref. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

Haha. Funny that the first hit leads back to here.
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought it's as much to do with entertainment value as with using their brains.
    Watching a load of people huddled around a computer for umpteen hours saying 'oh look at this' is not very entertaining, whereas watching them have silly phone conversations with random people in the yellow pages is!