Comments

• horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me I'm afraid..... I know some people don't like him, but John Barrowman was one of the reasons I tuned in.

Another Jay Hunt decison that I'm not keen on - I'll stick it in with those changes to Striclty....
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Not for me I'm afraid..... I know some people don't like him, but John Barrowman was one of the reasons I tuned in.

Another Jay Hunt decison that I'm not keen on - I'll stick it in with those changes to Striclty....

Apparently Barrowman is doing desperate housewives:confused: and its clashing

Jay Hunt doesnt actually micromanage the bbc you know:D
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant wait for Charlotte Church, she's amazing!
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed that Sheila Hancock is on the panel, she'll make up for the loss of Barrowman's experience, John Partridge will provide the pretty. I'm hoping to see Sheila Hancock rip through Lloyd Webber at least once, actually at least once a show would be nice. I wasn't going to watch when I read there would be no John Barrowman but Sheila Hancock makes up for it.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Charlotte makes sense as the singer and one who started very young which may fit with a lot of young Dorothy's. Sheila comes from sister Act so has recent experience of musicals and if she did Annie will also have experience of working with young people in roles. She can cover the acting ? John Partridge seems to have started at 17 and brings dancing expertise - though according to wiki his experience was in Cats (perhaps he picks Toto too.......?)
    Forum Member
    John Partridge trained in ballet from a young age, and went on to train specifically in musical theatre. His first appearance on stage was on tour in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats, playing Rum Tum Tugger. Other theatre credits include: Starlight Express, Tommy, Grease, Rent, Notre Dame de Paris, Miss Saigon and The Drowsy Chaperone

Sheila Hancock has appeared in numerous theatre, film and tv roles over many years. Musical theatre credits include: Annie, Sweeney Todd and Cabaret. Sheila is currently appearing in Sister Act. She is also the author of The Two Of Us, a memoir of her marriage to John Thaw, which won her the 2005 British Book Industry Author of the Year Award

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/02_february/18/rainbow.shtml
  • LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Interesting

Delighted about Charlotte, she'll be phenomenal. The other two look like great additions too. Despite wanting to claw JB's eyes out last series I will miss him on the panel and think that he would have been a great foil for Charlotte. Oh well, I can understand why Desperate Housewives would be higher on his agenda. ;)

No producer/director? I guess they've been more trouble than they are worth lately.
  • ariadosariados Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    No John Barrowman, well I won't be watching - he was the main reason for watching of the previous shows. I'm disappointed and not overly keen on any of the people on the new panel.
    Forum Member
    Denise didn't offend me or anything, but she never seemed to add anything of value. I can't think of any comment she ever made that was a real insight. I have high hopes for Charlotte, though I imagine she'll be more controversial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    An interesting choice of panel. I don't watch Eastenders so have no idea why the guy is. I would rather have had David Ian back. Charlotte will talk rubbish. I would ditch her and replace her with Ruthie Henshall if she isn't doing that DOI nonsense. Only Sheila seems to be worth listening too from that panel.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting choice of panel. I don't watch Eastenders so have no idea why the guy is. I would rather have had David Ian back. Charlotte will talk rubbish. I would ditch her and replace her with Ruthie Henshall if she isn't doing that DOI nonsense. Only Sheila seems to be worth listening too from that panel.

Ruthie Henshall was universally loathed on DOI. I don't think I could watch if it meant listening to her again.
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    Ruthie Henshall was universally loathed on DOI. I don't think I could watch if it meant listening to her again.

And she's doing Chicago at the moment anyway....
    Forum Member
    I couldn't bear Ruthie on DOI, but that was mostly because she hadn't the faintest clue what she was talking about but didn't let that stop her having strong opinions and playing favourites. She might be okay on a show like this as she has the expertise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise didn't offend me or anything, but she never seemed to add anything of value. I can't think of any comment she ever made that was a real insight. I have high hopes for Charlotte, though I imagine she'll be more controversial.

Telling Rachel to take acting tips from Sam was priceless. Also her bias during ADWD was naseuating.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Saw John Partridge in 'Notre Dame De Paris' ,he was excellent.
    Forum Member
    Looks like shows are from 3 april to 22 May as Sheila Hancock is off for 8 saturdays from Sister Act according to westendunderstudies.com. - does that mean 10 contestants?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like shows are from 3 april to 22 May as Sheila Hancock is off for 8 saturdays from Sister Act according to westendunderstudies.com. - does that mean 10 contestants?

Or two double evictions.
    Forum Member
    jill1812 wrote: »
    Or two double evictions.

Which was what they did with the Marias?

I suppose there will be some recorded audition shows before that and there's lots of rumours around on assorted sites that there's also a catch up show on all the past contestants on ALW's shows. Can they do everyone at all properly in one show?? I would think you could spend an hour on each series's contestants without trying hard so 20-30 minutes per show is going to be tight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which was what they did with the Marias?

I think so. There was one in ADWD.
    I suppose there will be some recorded audition shows before that and there's lots of rumours around on assorted sites that there's also a catch up show on all the past contestants on ALW's shows. Can they do everyone at all properly in one show?? I would think you could spend an hour on each series's contestants without trying hard so 20-30 minutes per show is going to be tight.

It depends what they highlight, I would think it will be down to roles played, albums released, anything else of note.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will probably do two 'double evictions', which (with 12 contestants) leaves a final with 3 contestants (as with the previous series).

There should have been two 'double evictions' in ADWD, but the 'Powers That Be' at the BBC were so impressed with the ratings that they asked for another ep to be added to the run (which involved scrapping one of the 'double evictions').

Re: the Where Are They Now? documentary, I'd guess that they'll mention all the contestants, but only focus on a few- top 3 from each show and any others (e.g. Aoife, Siobhan, Ben, Daniel, Chris B, Rachel, Sarah), who have done particularly well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    They will probably do two 'double evictions', which (with 12 contestants) leaves a final with 3 contestants (as with the previous series).

There should have been two 'double evictions' in ADWD, but the 'Powers That Be' at the BBC were so impressed with the ratings that they asked for another ep to be added to the run (which involved scrapping one of the 'double evictions').

I wonder where the other double eviction was suppose to be? Probably the semi final as in HDYSAPLM.
    Re: the Where Are They Now? documentary, I'd guess that they'll mention all the contestants, but only focus on a few- top 3 from each show and any others (e.g. Aoife, Siobhan, Ben, Daniel, Chris B, Rachel, Sarah), who have done particularly well.

I think everyone who's landed in the west end or had a leading role in a touring production will be mentioned. It'll be interesting to see who's achievements are talked up and if anyone's are talked down.
    Forum Member
    Alw and the panel are picking 10 girls and the viewers are picking one wildcard.

Episode one of
    Over The Rainbow is on Friday 26 March between 9.00-10.00pm.

Episode 2 is the following night

Over The Rainbow
    Saturday 27 March
    Time to be confirmed BBC ONE
    The nationwide search to find a Dorothy – and Toto – to fill the ruby red slippers continues this week as the auditions reach their conclusion. Andrew Lloyd Webber and his panel of experts – Charlotte Church, John Partridge and Sheila Hancock – must choose just 10 girls from the remaining 20 to progress to next week's first live show.

For the first time the audition process is opened up to viewers, allowing them to choose an 11th wildcard Dorothy to complete next week's first live show line-up.

On hand to share their expertise are five of the West End's most successful leading ladies, who work with the girls on their performances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2010/wk13/sat.shtml

Live shows begin Saturday April 3rd.
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Alw and the panel are picking 10 girls and the viewers are picking one wildcard.

Episode one of
    Over The Rainbow is on Friday 26 March between 9.00-10.00pm.

Episode 2 is the following night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2010/wk13/sat.shtml

Live shows begin Saturday April 3rd.

Bizarre. The one with the public vote is going to be interesting and whether she will be left out to get voted in is an issue. How are they going to show us enough of the ten other people to pick? If they had done it on IDA Nancy Sullivan might well be Nancy still and Briony would have probably been in HDYSAPLM?
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizarre. The one with the public vote is going to be interesting and whether she will be left out to get voted in is an issue. How are they going to show us enough of the ten other people to pick? If they had done it on IDA Nancy Sullivan might well be Nancy still and Briony would have probably been in HDYSAPLM?

I was thinking that. Unless all 10 of the other girls are given equal exposure in the two 'audition' eps, the 'Wildcard' girl will surely be at an unfair advantage (as the audience at home will already have connected with her).

The whole 'Wildcard' thing seems like an unnessesary gimmick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking that. Unless all 10 of the other girls are given equal exposure in the two 'audition' eps, the 'Wildcard' girl will surely be at an unfair advantage (as the audience at home will already have connected with her).

The whole 'Wildcard' thing seems like an unnessesary gimmick.

ALW does like his gimmicks!

Wildcard girl will start off on a different playing field. She will be more known to the viewer at home, but that may be a positive or a negative. She may already be some people's favourite but will also have knocked out other people's favourite. Also I assume the wildcard will be someone the judges have rejected so she will have to convince them and maybe given a hard time by the judges.