Options

Motors TV gone from CH71

Comments

• Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it FTA then now? That would make sense if they are no longer getting the sky payments.

The IP channel appears to work OK, other than than the odd stutter. It does look like the picture quality is a bit better on the IP service though.

This non multicast method cant be a long term solution if you have popular events though. Serving 2mb to each user is going to need some server power, I would love to know what the Max capacity they can serve would be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take back the PQ comment as this sports car racing looks shocking at the moment
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I correct myself here: It is infact FTV via satellite, sorry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The sound quality isn't great either. May just be my Internet and surround sound.
    But it does get very hissy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah its not the best unless it's the show that is on?

It's a shame with it being IP based they couldn't up the bit rate to improve the PQ, however guess its all cost at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's data hungry as well. Looking at the router stats it appears using about 800meg per hour. Good job most of us have unlimted broadband thses days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone having issues with the stream tonight? It seems to be loading and then stopping, then loading. I suspect this is the IPTV version of buffering? Surly this can't be down to server load as its hardly going to be a major show at 6.30pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the viewing figures for last week, compared the the previous week. It appears that roughly all the figures have fallen by 50%.

So if that proves to be the case over the weeks, that possibility could reduce their advertising revenue by half (assuming direct links). Then it comes down to how much much saving in cost that they have seen?
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Looking at the viewing figures for last week, compared the the previous week. It appears that roughly all the figures have fallen by 50%.

So if that proves to be the case over the weeks, that possibility could reduce their advertising revenue by half (assuming direct links). Then it comes down to how much much saving in cost that they have seen?

Yes, they might find it more profitable to lose ad revenue in return for reduced carriage costs.

On satellite, some FTV channels have moved to a UK spot beam transponder, presumably so that they can eventually save money by dropping the encryption and going FTA.

This also gives them the option to go onto Freesat.

Maybe Motors TV will do this to increase their reach more cost effectively- whilst still maintaining a presence on Freeview??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree as the ad revenue drop may be 50% but then costs may fall by 70%.

I guess its all a game of numbers and like you say, maybe freesat spot beam could be the answer, however guess that is down to the rights they have.

Would be nice if the IP channel quality had different modes so say SD and then near HD if your broadband was fast enough.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sound quality isn't great either. May just be my Internet and surround sound.
    But it does get very hissy

Mr mouse analysed this issue and came to the conclusion it would be down to your CRAP tv, rather than an arqiva issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or motors tv playout as their audio isn't the best at times. Yesterday was shocking loads of crackling
  • Options
    weatherweather Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    wonder why the EPG is still showing programs on 71
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arqiva have done a case study on Motors TV:

http://www.arqiva.com/case-studies/motors-tv-on-freeview/
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arqiva have done a case study on Motors TV
    That pre-dates its appearance as a broadcast channel on LCN 71.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    That pre-dates its appearance as a broadcast channel on LCN 71.

It is yes, they say that the introduction of the IPTV channel onto Freeview increased their audience by 400%.

I wonder if they expected a similar increase after LCN 71 and didn't get it, so couldn't justify the extra cost to continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is yes, they say that the introduction of the IPTV channel onto Freeview increased their audience by 400%.

I wonder if they expected a similar increase after LCN 71 and didn't get it, so couldn't justify the extra cost to continue.

I did some stats somewhere and the growth was massive when they went 71. However we don't know the costs of that channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way that commercial landlords will sometimes do an initial cheap deal to let a property, I wonder if mux operators do this for broadcasters??

Maybe the arrangement was cost-effective at the cheap deal, but unsustainable when the proper rate kicked in.

Also, one year seems a short time. Aren't carriage deals normally about three years??

All pure speculation of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not looking good for Motors TV.

First the channel was removed from linear Freeview and today it's been reported that Motors TV has been taken off the Sky EPG.

It's still broadcasting off the EPG, but in my experience, where there is no fault stopping the channel from broadcasting normally, it's often due to the EPG fee being paid late ie money problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that doesn't look good. I wonder if it's on its way out as a channel.

How will that work with their encryption on Satellite though? Wonder if they will move to spot beam if they survive and go free sat?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    From Sky on Twitter after someone asked them where its gone!
    See here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what does that mean? Suspect down to EPG costs or are they making the move to a spot beam and freesat?

Doesn't sound good though does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what does that mean? Suspect down to EPG costs or are they making the move to a spot beam and freesat?

AFAIK there has only ever been one Freesat channel that wasn't on Sky- and they eventually joined.

My gut feeling is that this channel is to go online only or is implementing an exit strategy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think the exit strategy could be the plan. The lack of live rights suggests there could be an issue.

I hope not as its a decent channel, but its very much a niche.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doubt it's down to EPG costs, more likely they've sold their Sky EPG slot.

It'd be nice to see it appear on Freesat if it continues.