Sound dropout on BBC 1 HD

steven_good2steven_good2 Posts: 91
Forum Member
Sorry if this has been posted before, I was watching BBC 1 HD earlier this morning and had sound drop outs, the Mast I receive freeview from is Emley Moor according to the Digital UK site and my TV is a Samsung PS51E490.

Has any one else having problems?

The only way I can get sound back is to go to another channel and then go back to BBC 1 HD

Comments

• BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way I can get sound back is to go to another channel and then go back ...
    I believe that is Samsung's recommended fix while they work on a solution http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=81928142&postcount=30.
  • David ParkDavid Park Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I have a UE55HU7500 from Samsung not getting this sound issue from Emley Moor but do get pixilation breakup on HD Freeview particularly BBC1 HD picture do you folks get this as well as your sound problem?
    Doesn't occur in some programs but seems to be when studio based.
    Forum Member
    I have contacted Samsung and they today tell me they are aware of my problem and in conjunction with the broadcaster are working on a solution which will be ready soon.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Park wrote: »
    I have a UE55HU7500 from Samsung not getting this sound issue from Emley Moor but do get pixilation breakup on HD Freeview particularly BBC1 HD picture do you folks get this as well as your sound problem?
    Doesn't occur in some programs but seems to be when studio based.

This is normally a software issue on the TV that is unable to cope with the switch from 1080i to 1080p seamlessly. The Freeview spec calls for the capabiity to handle mixed progressive and interlaced group of pictures within the same broadcast stream.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/bbc-begin-broadcasting-in-1080p
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is normally a software issue on the TV that is unable to cope with the switch from 1080i to 1080p seamlessly. The Freeview spec calls for the capabiity to handle mixed progressive and interlaced group of pictures within the same broadcast stream.
    Except the BBC have been doing this for aeons* on the BBC B (HD) mux so something has changed fairly recently for this latest flurry of complaints...

Perhaps an upgrade/update/change in their code & mux kit and/or firmware has caused this new incompatibility issue... :o (which also affects Toshiba sets - and Sony sets in a different way!).

*around March 2011

I agree that the P/I switching is the most likely cause, but no-one has confirmed that officially, sadly.
    Forum Member
    I have contacted Samsung and they today tell me they are aware of my problem and in conjunction with the broadcaster are working on a solution which will be ready soon.
    Is there any info. put out regarding that the BBC are to do a change before they do it?
    Or do we just notice one day the problem(s) have gone away?
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday i has no sound dropouts but today i have, now into the 6th week and no fix. How long before people affected start to lose it with the bbc and say enough is enough?
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    How long before people affected start to lose it with the bbc and say enough is enough?
    Is it the BBC to blame, so much these days are different companies.
    Freeview
    Transmitters
    Links
    BBC
    ITV1
    Ch4
    Program makers.
    Sub contract Engineering
    TV set makers.
    etc.

I get my picture fault on all the HD channels.
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fix, but a work around...

If you have a YouView or Freeview HD box you can watch BBC 1 HD using that and no more drop-outs.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Yesterday i has no sound dropouts but today i have, now into the 6th week and no fix. How long before people affected start to lose it with the bbc and say enough is enough?

The problem has been established to lie with some TV sets ....
    And the BBC has said it may try to do something to off set it ...
    But the issue lies with the TV set..... And the manufacturers to sort it

But will a change cause more problems with more sets .. ??????

Btw we had similar issues with digital systems over 20 years ago
  • martin_kmartin_k Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    But the issue lies with the TV set..... And the manufacturers to sort it

Which organisations have definitively stated that the problem is solely with the TV sets?
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martin_k wrote: »
    Which organisations have definitively stated that the problem is solely with the TV sets?
    AFAIK none... (Broadcasters tend not to slag off the set makers as that is usually counter-productive).

But the set makers DO have form for NOT building kit that conforms to the fine detail of the Specification of the Broadcast Standards... and when the broadcasters utilise an advanced feature their sets fall over...
    [e.g DVB-T: Split NIT. DVB-T2: 25p/50i switching.]

Some bits can be resolved by software/firmware upgrades on modern sets, fortunately. But such development takes time, as fixing one bit can break another so needs extensive testing. Sometimes it's a hardware issue, though.

Very occasionally the broadcaster gets caught out, too: e.g. the BBC HD 5.1 sound 'glitches' every 2^64 frames due to a faulty electronics card not conforming to a specification; and that took 6 months+ to get a firmware fix developed, tested and rolled out. In the meantime the glitches continued - less annoying to glitch than to lose the 5.1 surround sound? imho, yes.

There's no doubt the BBC have made a change that's caused issue(s) for some sets... but many other sets are unaffected...

If I had to gamble on it I know where I'd place my money on the fault laying.
  • Secret-SquirrelSecret-Squirrel Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Samsung ue32j5100ak and the sound is fine on all BBC HD channels. So, it is only some sets affected.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every 2 mins it drops out :mad:
    Forum Member

Says completed 19 May 2016
    As it cured the sound faults?
  • ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed any dropouts on my Sony TV for several days now.

Clem
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clem wrote: »
    I haven't noticed any dropouts on my Sony TV for several days now.

Clem

How are sony getting in delivering the update .....
    . Just Because the BBC have limited their coder to not do PNS
    does not mean the problem is fixed .....

PNS will be used in the future "all AVC / AAC /T 2 world"
    Forum Member
    Hope they fix my Samsung TV picture breakup soon on Freeview HD channels, this fix not done it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are sony getting in delivering the update .....
    . Just Because the BBC have limited their coder to not do PNS
    does not mean the problem is fixed .....

PNS will be used in the future "all AVC / AAC /T 2 world"

In the past, there seemed to be plenty of updates for my Sony TVs. However, as the units are quite old (in Sony's terms) and are no longer current it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't provide any further firmware, which would be really annoying. However, when the units were current, firmware updates were pretty frequent, when needed, and it was easy to update via USB. The issue here is that PNS is part of the specs. and it's clear that my TVs don't comply with the standards, so I'm hoping that there will be an update. If Sony doesn't come across with something, then I'm not sure what I'll do .....

Clem
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Sony HX,EX and W series TVs, none of which have any HD sound problems. As you seem to be the only one on this forum with a troublesome Sony, are you sure it isn't faulty?

Hopefully Nigel can cast some light on your problem as he is a Sony dealer.
    Forum Member
    Clem wrote: »
    If Sony doesn't come across with something, then I'm not sure what I'll do .....
    Clem
    Return to your supplier, not fit for purpose?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Sony HX,EX and W series TVs, none of which have any HD sound problems. As you seem to be the only one on this forum with a troublesome Sony, are you sure it isn't faulty?

Hopefully Nigel can cast some light on your problem as he is a Sony dealer.

Well, a fault is always possible, but the dropouts have stopped as quickly as they started, and pretty much follow eveyone else's experiences. I do know of at leat one other EX owner on AVForums who also had audio dropouts, so my money is on a firmware issue somewhere. However, if it is a fault, with the TV being at least six years old it'll be a good excuse to buy something new :D

Clem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Return to your supplier, not fit for purpose?

Too old. The TV is outside of the 5-year JL guarantee. As the TV generally works OK, if it is a tuner fault I'll add something like a Manhattan HD receiver in the short term, if I don't decide to replace the set. Now is not really the right time to buy something new, especially as the 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision thing still seems to be in a state of flux, and buying a set that is just what I have now is pretty pointless.

Clem