Second box question

sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi may be a silly question, but hows the second box fitted, is split off the main cable coming in, or is it a kind of slave box off the main box, like rf out

Regards

Sheppy

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    i dont use sky but what i do have is a few other sat boxes and the main lead goes in to lnb in and the one you are talking about that will probably go into the loop out which should be just underneath the lnb in
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    For a second cable STB it's split off the main cable but unlike satellite this can be at any point along it
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    They will either split it in lounge
    or they may need to put another box
    inside your house, it all depends
    where the new box is going

With my house the Lounge
    and the Dinning Room are next to each other,
    so they split the cable in the Lounge
    and attached a splitter to all the cables
    one cable went to the Lounge set top box
    and another cable went to
    the Dinning Room set top box,
    if the new box is going upstairs,
    then they will run a cable outside
    and they may put a box inside your house,
    in the bedroom and connect it to the set top box that way

It all depends on the engineer
    who comes to your house that day
    and what they have to say
  • Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the engineer
    who comes to your house that day
    and what they have to say

That's it in a nutshell.

The boxes are independant of each other and it's upto to you and the engineer on how the cables run round your house.

As the other poster said it's not like sky where each cable has to run right back to the LNB on the dish and nor are the boxes "slaves" like magic eye gadgets.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Many thanks for repiles, right, as I wanted my second box in the conservatory, didnt really want cable going through the house, so he should be able to do it round the house on the outside, and I thought if it was rf out jobby, I do have a extra rf cable coming into the lounge behind the tv that services the rest of the house including the conserv, or can he use that cable, as I do have an old ntl box from a previous owner virtually next to that cable in the lounge.

cheers

sheppy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont use sky but what i do have is a few other sat boxes and the main lead goes in to lnb in and the one you are talking about that will probably go into the loop out which should be just underneath the lnb in

Apart from cable doesnt use a dish, or lnb!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheppy124 wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks for repiles, right, as I wanted my second box in the conservatory, didnt really want cable going through the house, so he should be able to do it round the house on the outside, and I thought if it was rf out jobby, I do have a extra rf cable coming into the lounge behind the tv that services the rest of the house including the conserv, or can he use that cable, as I do have an old ntl box from a previous owner virtually next to that cable in the lounge.

cheers

sheppy

More than likely they will run a new cable unless the one you have is the same quality and type of the cable virgin use, which is doubtful.