Amazon selling homeopathic (therefore useless) cancer "treatments"

2»

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are still listing 23 products from this company. Don't you think Homeovitality should have been kicked-off Amazon altogether for selling the bogus "Cancer Care" product?

As long as they are making illegal claims, selling homeopathic "remedies" (i.e. water) is perfectly legal.

If we were to ban all products that didn't do what they claimed then the whole cosmetics industry would collapse overnight.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    As long as they are making illegal claims, selling homeopathic "remedies" (i.e. water) is perfectly legal.

Should there have been a 'not' in front of 'illegal claims' there?
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,015
    Forum Member
    If we were to ban all products that didn't do what they claimed then the whole cosmetics industry would collapse overnight.

I'd have no issue with products being required to back up their claims. After all, as bad as Big Pharma is, at least they have to provide some evidence (the fact that Big Pharma manipulates, hides and distorts things at times doesn't give 'alternative' treatments a free pass).

If you cannot provide data to support a product claim, you shouldn't be allowed to make it. At least "74% of 110 women surveyed agreed" is a (small) step beyond anecdote and "I think this is true"
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,193
    Forum Member
    Surely all of these remedies aren't equal? I mean, some might actually do something?

Some might help. Nothing will cure.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Some might help. Nothing will cure.

Help lighten your wallet, certainly. Beyond that its purely the placebo effect.
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's a good gift for a homeopath?

An empty box with the memory of the chocolates it once contained
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    They will remove them if you contact them, Amazon can't review every listing.

they should have an algorithm that would pick this up though
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should there have been a 'not' in front of 'illegal claims' there?

Woops. You are quite right,
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is disgusting. The active ingredient according to the page is "Acidum Nucleicum" which is Latin for DNA. Basically, they are claiming they can treat cancer with diluted DNA mixed with ethanol. The fact that they didn't just write DNA leads me to believe that they attempted to cover up what was really inside the solution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are certainly plenty of reviewers who agree with you. Also aren't these sorts of products illegal in the UK?

One would have thought so..but like taxes it may not apply to Amazon
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    This is disgusting. The active ingredient according to the page is "Acidum Nucleicum" which is Latin for DNA. Basically, they are claiming they can treat cancer with diluted DNA mixed with ethanol. The fact that they didn't just write DNA leads me to believe that they attempted to cover up what was really inside the solution.

It might be something like the way you can put "aqua" in a list of ingredients rather than "water".
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    I took Pulsitilla once for my blocked sinus, worked a treat.

Did anyone else read that as 'blocked anus'?:o
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I took Pulsitilla once for my blocked sinus, worked a treat.

A Pulsitilla homeopathic tincture?

Since there would have been no active ingredients, any apparent 'cure' would have been the result of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_fallacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
  • bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are countless things that medical science hasn't discovered. In 50 years time we'll look at medicine today and compare it to the Dark Ages.

What won't happen, however, is that a few drops of water in a glass of water will be found to be the cure for anything (apart from dehydration) although it may have a placebo effect for those gullible enough to believe in it.

If in doubt, check out this website: http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/

Due to overuse of antibiotics, you may find that we're comparing medicine in 50 years time to the dark ages.