Options

Jack the Ripper Programme Channel 5 17th Nov 14

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone else watching this. I have never heard this name. I wouldnt call myself a Ripperologist but am very interested in these crimes and have read a lot about them but Ive never heard of this man

Comments

• Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turned it on and lost interest immediately when they said Jack the Rippers 6 victims. There were only 5. It has been agreed by all Scholars of the subject that there were 5. We decided if they couldn't get that right the rest of it would be likely the usual crap that surrounds the ripper story, so we gave up.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Turned it on and lost interest immediately when they said Jack the Rippers 6 victims. There were only 5. It has been agreed by all Scholars of the subject that there were 5. We decided if they couldn't get that right the rest of it would be likely the usual crap that surrounds the ripper story, so we gave up.

It hasn't been 'agreed' at all. Could be 5, could be 6. Could be less, could be more.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canon is important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is all opinion.

What is more annoying is how these programmes claim to 'reveal' the killer rather than simply proposing a suspect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. I think Martha Tabram was a victim, one of the patterns of the killings were the dates. The first weekend at the end of the first week in the month, or the end of the month. She was killed at the end of the first week in August and for me that fits the pattern. The style of the body being left in the same way fits too.
  • Options
    Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I thought they'd already solved this mystery last year using updated DNA technology .
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tabram has been included as a victim in many Ripper theories.

As theories go it was quite interesting, his route to work and the victims locations was convincing , however it failed to explain why he suddenly stopped killing after Kelly's murder, did he move away ?

Hey ho, another ex-copper author getting his snout in the Ripper trough.
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all. Some people include Tabram as a Ripper victim. Some don't believe Stride was a Ripper victim. Some believe all 6 were.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I take a fairly keen interest in Jack The Ripper and, as documentaries claiming to solve the case go, I thought it was one of the better ones.

Obviously it glossed over some obvious potential objections to the theory being proposed but I'll be interested to hear what other Ripperologists have to say about it.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. Some people include Tabram as a Ripper victim. Some don't believe Stride was a Ripper victim. Some believe all 6 were.

They should have pointed out that Holmgren's theory presumes Tabram as a Ripper victim in addition to the canonical five, instead it was blithely asserted as uncontested fact.
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched about thirty five minutes and then thought to myself, what a load of bullshit, there were so many flaws in this programme, Do Chanel Five get some sort commission out of these shock jock documentaries. For the record the killer was Arron Kosminsky....trust me, I was nearly a Doctor
  • Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    I thought they'd already solved this mystery last year using updated DNA technology .

Looks like they stuffed up and the DNA matches 99% of the European population.

Also even if DNA is found on one victim it's hardly proof of anything other than that person was in contact with the victim at some point.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The number of victims of Jack the Ripper is usually said to be 5 but according to various sources it may be as many as 11. There were a number of differences in the M.O. of the killings, even within the 6 covered in the programme - so it is right that there is some uncertainty.

The programme gave a reasonably good prima-facie case, but if I were a juror I think I would struggle to convict the accused even on the "balance of probabilities" let alone "beyond reasonable doubt". I would want to watch, see, or be reminded of, the various other documentary programmes and theories and suspects who have been proposed.

I think the programme over-emphasised the similarities and was too light in dismissing the possibility that he was just coincidentally in the vicinity. Lots of other men living in the area would have had similar journeys to work and locations where they worked or lived.

The big elephant-in-the-room which was not explained, and hardly mentioned, by the programme is: why did he stop? Most serial killers carry on killing - often at an increasing rate, and with increased frenzy - until they are stopped, or caught, or killed. Are we supposed to believe that this man killed 6 women with a few weeks and then just stopped, and lived a conventional life for the next 30 years?

Still, it was a much better theory than some of the rubbish which has been proposed over the years.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Thought it was valid.

But sadly, we're all looking back from a different time. Perhaps this man genuinely WAS in the wrong place at the wrong time, had a fear of police (so lied), didn't know how to deal with police or was on the run for something else (so lied), had mental issues (so lied/diffused) or was just another quirky character living on top of other strange little people shuffling together in the gloom.

It assumed he was guilty in hindsight when in actual fact several circumstances could have been the luck of the draw and his own personality traits, which were not researched.

He is a likely contender, no doubt. But I don't think it's a given and you dearly need to see stuff in the context of the times in which it happened, which we ever really can. I read a book by an author who puts forward that the Ripper murders are strategically satanic/occult from start to finish, right down to the paths trodden and streets chosen and that too is very compelling - different murderer, different name, but all equally convincing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Tabram has been included as a victim in many Ripper theories.

As theories go it was quite interesting, his route to work and the victims locations was convincing , however it failed to explain why he suddenly stopped killing after Kelly's murder, did he move away ?

Hey ho, another ex-copper author getting his snout in the Ripper trough.

Totally agree, and knowing lots about victorian social history as I do, the early life he experienced would not have been out of the norm for most poor victorian Londoners. People did move all over the place lots of the time, and people did tend to remarry after their spouses death, although Im not sure how they came to the conclusion that his mother was a 'dominant' force in his life, where was the evidence for that?

So for me, motivation was missing (although it would be this long after the murders) and as you say the reason for the lack of criminal behaviour after the killings. It might be that there were more murders after which havent been categorised as Ripper murders but Im not sure how much evidence there is for that.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't catch the latest theory.

Was this based on the DNA from Lizzie Stride's shawl? Cos if it didn't then it was hardly relevant. Not that I am saying that theory is correct. It's just it seems to be we can expect a 'new' definitive answer every few months, all positively, definitely, without a doubt, no other theory need to be looked ever again gives us the name of the Ripper.

Let's be honest we will never really know and it's not going to mean a lot today anyway. Gave up reading Ripper books when I bought two about ten years ago and they both spent most of the time trashing the theory in the other book I had bought. Gets a bit annoying like that these days.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Didn't catch the latest theory.

Was this based on the DNA from Lizzie Stride's shawl? Cos if it didn't then it was hardly relevant. Not that I am saying that theory is correct. It's just it seems to be we can expect a 'new' definitive answer every few months, all positively, definitely, without a doubt, no other theory need to be looked ever again gives us the name of the Ripper.

Let's be honest we will never really know and it's not going to mean a lot today anyway. Gave up reading Ripper books when I bought two about ten years ago and they both spent most of the time trashing the theory in the other book I had bought. Gets a bit annoying like that these days.

You can catch up with it here http://www.channel5.com/shows/conspiracy-the-missing-evidence/episodes/episode-3-616

I found it interesting and fairly convincing.. until the next theory comes along. This is the description of the programme
    During a three-month period in 1888, a knifewielding serial killer murdered six women on the streets of Whitechapel. Their throats were cut and their bodies horribly mutilated. He was never caught and his identity remains one of the worldʼs greatest crime mysteries. In the years that have passed since Jack the Ripperʼs killing spree, many high-profile suspects have been suggested, yet the fact remains that none of them can be placed at any of the crime scenes.
    Now, journalist Christer Holmgren believes that he has found a suspect who can not only be linked directly to one of the murders but also whose daily routine could be consistent with all the other deaths.
    Holmgren has been studying the case for more than three decades in the belief that somewhere in the mass of records, some overlooked detail would point to the killer. His focus eventually fell on the seemingly trivial confusion that surrounded the testimony of a witness called Charles Cross.
    Cross is credited with finding the body of the Ripperʼs second victim, Polly Nichols. Yet when Holmgren looked further into the details, it emerged that not only did Charles Cross lie to a policeman on the night but also that he lied at the inquest and even gave a false name. For years the pseudonym ʻCrossʼ chose to give the police shielded him. Only recently have modern researchers discovered his real identity. Once Christer had his real name – Charles Allen Lechmere – a mass of incriminating evidence became clear.
    Lechmereʼs job, home and family tie him to every Ripper crime. Christer travels to London to explore the Nichols murder in forensic detail. Did Jack the Ripper manage to lie his way past the police to kill again?
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting the differing opinions of Ripperologists re the inclusion of Tabram, but the Kelly killing is always included as his horrific final bow.

Yet it has always seemed to me the work of a completely different madman [ and in the infested streets of East London in 1888 one could throw a brick and hit 4 or 5 bona fide fruit loops ]. It's indoors, the prostitute [ ? ] is young and attractive and has her own room, the multilations are incredible beyond belief, must have taken 2 hours, and if it hadn't been for her rentman the murder might not have been discovered for days.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Interesting the differing opinions of Ripperologists re the inclusion of Tabram, but the Kelly killing is always included as his horrific final bow.

Not always, there have been theories that the killer moved to a different country and continued his killing spree there.

I thought I was reasonably well-read on the subject but had never heard of Tabram before last night :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I was going to slash up women in a frenzy and cover myself in blood, I wouldn't do it on my way to work...
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I watch all Ripper programmes and take on board all theories, although I believe it hasn't been, nor will ever be, solved.

I've had a lifelong morbid fascination for the whole Ripper phenomenon, living a short distance from where it all happened and having seen, before demolition and redevelopment, most of the original Ripper landmarks.

I missed the C5 programme last night, but there is one on tonight at 9pm on London Live, called Murder Casebook, so I will watch that.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not by any means an expert or aficionado (not quite the right word, I know!), but i do find the subject of interest.

I thought this was interesting enough but it seemed to be looking for evidence to back up a theory rather than examining the evidence impartially. As someone else mentioned, there must have been many men whose journey to work took them various routes through the East End, and claims of "suspicious behaviour" - such as moving from his home and leaving his daughter with his mother - didn't quite add up. With large families among the poor, this must have happened quite often.

It was plausible but not really compelling. The voiceover saying the man was going to write a book on his "findings" was telling - identifying a new suspect and writing a book on Jack the Ripper is very lucrative.

One thing - it was blessedly free of people in dodgy wigs "acting" out the scenes. It did take a more measured approach.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am no expert but it was one of if not the best programmes on the subject that I have seen.

I had started a thread on General on this very topic before I spotted this one. :blush:

When I have time I will check on what Casebook thinks of it all. :)

http://www.casebook.org/
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if it will be repeated, and when, can't believe I missed it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    If I was going to slash up women in a frenzy and cover myself in blood, I wouldn't do it on my way to work...

Yes, thats another thing I was thinking, just casually walking to work and then spotting someone you think needs to die, and then carrying on your way to work afterwards.