Options

Have you ever sneaked in a new pet?

ChawtonChawton Posts: 210
Forum Member
Like, the other half says, "No more cats/dogs/fish" whatever - have you ever 'just happened to find one' that you 'just had to bring home'?

No, I've never done that, but saw some gorgeous kittens at the RSPCA place, and am sorely tempted! ;)

Comments

• Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chawton wrote: »
    Like, the other half says, "No more cats/dogs/fish" whatever - have you ever 'just happened to find one' that you 'just had to bring home'?

No, I've never done that, but saw some gorgeous kittens at the RSPCA place, and am sorely tempted! ;)
    I have a friend who does the opposite. When she gets bored of her animals she pretends to have found them by the canal in a bag, and hands them to an animal charity. Pointless because six months later she removes her guilt by getting another animal.

Once she did it for her beloved cat as she was going away for five days and she would collect the "lost" cat when she returned back (the idea being it was cheaper than a cattery). What happens next is confused, but the cat was never returned to her. She claims the charity denied ever receiving a cat, but I think the charity were on to her 'little game', and refused to hand the cat over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do bring or find or get given cats. I do the right thing by ringing around but then we keep them as by then there a part of the family. I have brought 4 of the guinea pigs intonight but OH doesnt know, OH is in the hospital might not notice when OH gets home:D
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with fish, yes

also with my current hamster

but i think mum's past caring anyway :D
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Yes i have, but I didn't get far. I was 13. my teacher's cat had just had kittens, I lied and said my mum had allowed me to have one. The teacher gave me a lift home with my new kitten. Mum was home early from work, and went nuts. She stopped my teacher just as she was about to leave and I had to give poor kitty back.

Not very responsible of me, I know, but I was only 13.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband is a dog person who always claimed he was allergic to cats so we couldn't have one.

When I first saw Rosie she was a stray living in a tree in my mums garden, so I bought her home, with the intention of either finding her owner or if that proved impossible taking her to a cat rescue..of course I was praying that if I couldn't find an owner we would keep her

Luckily as it became obvious we weren't going to find who she had belonged to, it also became obvious my husband was falling in love with her, and he's ended up absolutely adoring her. He now spends most evenings with her purring on his lap
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my husband has only chosen one dog, all the rest he has just come home from work and found another one living with us, same happened with our cats he never quite knew how many would be at home when he arrived. Luckily he is fairly laid back and takes it in his stride.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Yes, when I was 17 and still lived with my mum, I wanted a kitten (my mum already had a fairly elderly cat). There were some kittens born on a building site where my friend was working, I got her to say they were going to be drowned if they weren't homed - of course my mum fell for that. (I did tell her afterwards:D) He was a lovely cat, lived to be 16.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Have you ever sneaked in a new pet?

Of course. Doesn't everybody? :D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    One at time is enough for me. My Impossible Princess wouldn't like anyone else in the house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum used to do this often, my dad would have to put his foot down eventually and insist that only one dog come back from the rescue place:D

Their 3 cats just liked the look of the place and moved in:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I have a friend who does the opposite. When she gets bored of her animals she pretends to have found them by the canal in a bag, and hands them to an animal charity. Pointless because six months later she removes her guilt by getting another animal.
    - Quote snipped

That really is disgusting. :mad:

Back on topic, nope, I have never had to 'sneak' an animal home, as my OH often comes around to my way of thinking! Though it has taken me 2 years to pursuade him that it would be a good idea to build an aviary and keep budgies and maybe some other birds.
    It only took a few months to pursuade him to get the cat and just a few days for the fish, rabbit and guinea pigs lol