Options

Fussy Eaters - Kitties

MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how best to combat cats that seem to be really fussy??
We have two 7 month old kittens and they seem to be soo fussy! sometimes you will feed them and they will woof it down, yet sometimes they ll just turn their nose up at it!
They seem to like Iam's & Whiska's but not Felix so much - although this tends to vary sometimes they will just turn their noses up at these when they ate it all the day before!
I have started to give them little tins of fish - ie. Tuna/Mackarel/Sardines - is this ok? Not every day but every other day or so, as they absolutely love these and even every single bit! They also love chicken whenever i've given it to them!
Any idea's as to how to get them to eat their food every day? As sometimes they don't seem to eat very much.
We give them a pouch of wet food in the morning and evening and leave a bowl of dry food out during the day as we are out at work and don't want them to go hungry!

Comments

• Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sounds very like my old cat. She would have a binge on some sort of food for days and then wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Our mistake was giving in. She did get worse as she got older so it could have been linked to failing health. She used to basically starve herself for days before wolfing down several bowls full of tuna or chicken. She was a cheeky sod!

I suppose eating the same thing every day could be quite boring!

ETA: Sorry, no tips, OP... my cat had me wrapped around her little paw so I'd give in and give her something more exciting sooner or later!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I think fussy cats is par for the course isn' it :rolleyes:
    They usually wait until you've stocked up on something they love before deciding all of a sudden they hate it :confused:

A word of warning though...too much fish, especially tuna, is not good for cats. I can't remember why but if you google it you'll find out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OscarsMum wrote: »
    They usually wait until you've stocked up on something they love before deciding all of a sudden they hate it :confused:

A word of warning though...too much fish, especially tuna, is not good for cats. I can't remember why but if you google it you'll find out.

i was told tinned tuna contains vast amounts of mercury also rots their teeth
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OscarsMum wrote: »

Thanks for the warning, i never knew this! they ve only had about 2 tins of it so far in their life but i will certainly be limiting that.
    Does anyone know if tinned mackarel has the same dangers?

Yeah i know they can be fussy, though my cats we had when i was growing up always seemed to eat their food, where as ours seem way more fussy!
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a local fishmongers (try a market) ask them if they can provide a bag of scraps (maybe offer them 50p!!) - and see how that goes down with the pussies. That fish shouldn't contain anything that would upset them - unless they were native to the Irish Sea :eek:

Mine used to live the fresh stuff, and the rest was frozen and allowed to thaw for his next treat. It can be cooked, but gets too dry when left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Missjef wrote: »
    Does anyone know if tinned mackarel has the same dangers?

I don't think it's as bad as tuna but I would only feed it occassionally as a treat, same with any tinned fish.
    You could give them poached coley but again I wouldn't recommend more than twice a week (except when trying to help an upset tummy).