Doctor Who cancellation 1989

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would it have made any difference if it was cancelled rather than put it on a hiatus in 1986 as opposed to 1989?

Comments

• bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Sylvester McCoy would never have been the doctor, Colin baker would have been in the TV movie, the matt smith doctor would not be in his last incarnation so time of the doctor would be totally different and the peter capaldi version of the doctor would be the last incarnation of the doctor.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I did enjoy parts of McCoy's three year stint although I had given up watching by season 26. By 1989, I felt the show just looked cheap and I really struggled with the acting and writing. I just didn't believe in McCoy's Doctor and I didn't really believe in Ace either.

That said, I am pleased the show came back for Trial of a Timelord, and that it ran for a further three years after that. That were a few gems along the way.

I would say, also, that Colin's one of my favourite Doctors. Personally, I would love the show to have continued with him in the role.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Would it have made any difference if it was cancelled rather than put it on a hiatus in 1986 as opposed to 1989?

We would have been spared the McCoy era.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a way it was a shame. Would have liked to see how the cartmell masterplan would have unfolded. The writing was improving by mccoys last season but the budget was just not there. It was being killed off by the bbc, they hated sci fi at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have liked to see how the cartmell masterplan would have unfolded.

Check out the Virgin New Adventures novels
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I would say, also, that Colin's one of my favourite Doctors. Personally, I would love the show to have continued with him in the role.

At the time, I couldn't bear him. But re-watching, it's pretty clear: without the constant pointless bickering with Peri, and the frankly ludicrous outfit, he would've been many more people's favourite Doctor.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    At the time, I couldn't bear him. But re-watching, it's pretty clear: without the constant pointless bickering with Peri, and the frankly ludicrous outfit, he would've been many more people's favourite Doctor.

Its why I love him on Big Finish - you can't see his outfit and there's minimal bickering!
  • RozesRozes Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    From 86 to 89 it looked cheap and the acting was either dreadful or panto. Think of a CBBC programme aimed for 8 to 14 year olds and you can get an idea of what it was like. Should have finished in 86.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a way it was a shame. Would have liked to see how the cartmell masterplan would have unfolded. The writing was improving by mccoys last season but the budget was just not there. It was being killed off by the bbc, they hated sci fi at the time.

The Star Trek movies were doing much better financially back then. Also, because of the limited budget, and the less than perfect writing, the fans were getting bored. Hence the low ratings, then the unfortunate cancellation. :(
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »

Tom is my most favourite Doctor. He had the perfect outfit, my favourite being the Burgundy clobber he wore in 1980/81.

http://doctorwho-execution.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/1/2/15121058/3854899_orig.jpg?0

He definitely acted a lot better than Colin and Sylvester. The Philip Hinchcliffe and Graham Williams eras were great, as the writing seemed up to scratch. Most of the time anyway.

To me, The Fourth Doctor was the most alien of all the Doctors so far.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    He definitely acted a lot better than Colin and Sylvester.

I thought Colin Baker was consistently excellent. I don't think the scripts or production values were a whole lot better or a whole lot worse than they'd been in the Peter Davison era. Unfortunately if the series had been cancelled in 1986 everyone would have had that ghastly costume and Bonnie Langford as their final memory of it. I still think I would have preferred that to what happened, because at least that way it wouldn't have felt like all the blame for everything that was going wrong was being dumped on Colin Baker.