Options

Cat wanting to go out

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have two cats, one is not bothered about going out and the other one is desperate to. The problem is that I don't have a cat flap and can't have one until next spring when I replace a door and put a cat flap in there so for the time being, they are reliant on being let out and back in.

I'm worried about letting her out when she has only been with us for 2 months and it's dark now in the evenings but she whines at the window wanting to be let out and it's pitiful and I feel as though I am being cruel. She's also not eating much and I think it's stress.

Do I let her out and hope she comes back when she's called when I go to bed and possibly run the risk of her being out there all night or only let her out at weekends for now?

She is driving me crazy:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    lettucelettuce Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    try letting your cattivo out before feeding, that way if you call them and they're hungry they'll come bounding back.

Once the outside novelty wears off they won't be so bothered.
    so maybe introduce the outside a few times at the weekend to show them the world aint that interesting :D

don't start them off tonight though with all the fireworks ;)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Mine isn't out as much these days. She does have a cat flap.

If your cat comes to call in the house, I would let it out for a bit each day.

You could buy a little dog kennel or a cat out house. Some animal charity shops have them.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    So the cats have not been out at all since you got them?

I definitely would not let her out at night to begin with (actually I wouldn't personally let her out at night ever, I only let my cats out during the day). She is most likely to get into trouble at night, and certainly to begin with I would want to supervise her a bit, and have the chance to see what she's getting up to.

I assume you work all day which is why you say you could only let her out when you get home? If so I think letting her out at the weekend would probably make it worse as she would 'know what she is missing'.

Are they both neutered?

If there is no chance of getting the door replaced sooner, it's up to you whether you prefer to put up with the whinging to go out.... or the worrying if she doesn't come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies:)

Yes they have both been outside, but not a huge amount and only in the daytime and not at night since the clocks went back. Yes they are both neutered and never stray far and never out of the garden.

I think I'll let them out at weekends and keep them in at night until the clocks change again so they can be out for longer in the evenings. Hopefully by April I'll be able to put the cat flap in.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Daisy70 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies:)

Yes they have both been outside, but not a huge amount and only in the daytime and not at night since the clocks went back. Yes they are both neutered and never stray far and never out of the garden.

I think I'll let them out at weekends and keep them in at night until the clocks change again so they can be out for longer in the evenings. Hopefully by April I'll be able to put the cat flap in.

April would be good. Mind you watch what comes in. I find mice,snakes,a slow worm ,lizard, grasshopper and a frog in the house depending on the season. She doesn't seem to find birds interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    April would be good. Mind you watch what comes in. I find mice,snakes,a slow worm ,lizard, grasshopper and a frog in the house depending on the season. She doesn't seem to find birds interesting.

:eek: I've only had birds and mice from my now deceased cat, I have a feeling one of my cats is going to be a real hunter:eek: