Options

The Mercury Prize award

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows what goes on behind the scenes etc, and yes it would be great if a non-mainstream act could have the chance to win one year. But, for whatever reason they are included, the inclusion of jazz acts and others can only help to bring helpful attention to these genres that are in need of and deserving of it - so I still hold that however 'token' they are it is still a positive thing that they are included..
    I'm struggling to remember what their profile was like at the time but I don't think Talvin Singh and Speech Debelle could really be described as mainstream when they won. It is generally quite well known artists though and it seems to be more mainstream and predictable now than it used to be.

I say every year that my main interest is in seeing which artists are on the shortlist rather than who is actually going to win. It's often disappointing because really good albums from lesser known artists (that also would have added more variety) don't make the list but that's inevitable I suppose. You can't even be sure that those type of artists have bothered to pay to enter and be considered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Right with you on that Smudged!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right with you on that Smudged!
    There are some of us who are able to judge music on it's own merits and couldn't give a crap how popular it is with the wider public ;).
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    And then there are others who use the fact that they support obscure artists as some sort of nerdy badge of honour and are often sniffy about successful acts because they are, actually,you know, successful. Add a lack of any semblance of a sense of humour into the mix and we have a heady brew indeed :eek::D. But I guess it takes all sorts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Now now konebyvax I wonder who you could be talking about ;) It''s all meant in good humour from this side too y'know. Still haven't seen you address any of my points yet thought... Of course it goes without saying that a well known band can be very good and deserving (you'd certainly hope at least some of them would be!!) - I'm certainly not advocating supporting people simply for being lesser known! That said most of the best music I've ever seen has been in small rooms to small audiences and most of the worst music I've ever seen had been to stadium crowds or on television! Supporting quality music that is out of the limelight is very different to supporting music for being unpopular! Don't need a badge thanks - just saying there's a *lot* of good music out there in the jazz world for people who want to hear it, and that perhaps it's not right that the vast majority of people seem so scathing of it being even slightly accounted for by the mercury award - but hey I'm probably being humourless ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    And then there are others who use the fact that they support obscure artists as some sort of nerdy badge of honour and are often sniffy about successful acts because they are, actually,you know, successful. Add a lack of any semblance of a sense of humour into the mix and we have a heady brew indeed :eek::D. But I guess it takes all sorts.
    Grow up. What you still don't seem to realise is that some of us would rather just discuss music for what it is and not even bring popularity/success into the equation. As far as I'm concerned it's got absolutely nothing to do with the actual music itself and I don't waste my time worrying about what other people like. So when you keep banging on about it, the annoyance comes from the fact that you've mentioned it (again) in the first place, it's got nothing to do with the level of popularity of the artists themselves.

Every thread you're involved in turns into a discussion about popularity and it's really boring. Can't you just stick to discussing the actual music? This is a thread about the Mercury Prize so I would like to see people discussing the merits of the albums/music involved, not someone looking down on artists for not being really successful :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my 12 faves from the last 12 months, in no particular order, I wonder how many will end up on the real shortlist?

Arctic Monkeys - AM
    Georgia Ruth Williams - Week of Pines
    Disclosure - Settle
    Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
    Rudimental - Home
    Peace - In Love
    Foals - Holy Fire
    Sweet Baboo - Ships
    Bowie - The Next Day
    Palma Violets - 180
    Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal
    XX - Coexist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shortlist to be announced at 5:30pm. Hopefully this thread can stick to discussing the music from then on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shortlisted Albums:

Rudimental - Home
    Foals - Holy Fire
    Jon Hopkins - Immunity
    Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
    Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon
    Villagers - Awayland
    David Bowie - The Next Day
    Savages - Silence Yourself
    Disclosure - Settle
    Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
    James Blake - Overgrown
    Arctic Monkeys - AM

Biggest surprise is the lack of the jazz and folk album. Oh and lack of London Grammar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No real surprises I guess but I'm sure some will be upset at some albums that didn't get on the list.

I think Marling and Turner have both now equalled Radiohead's record 4 nominations? Edit: looks like Marling only has 3?

PS No 'token' noms. Have the judges been reading this thread? :p

PPS This bloke predicted 10 of 'em (but to be fair his list seemed to be about 100-strong :D )

http://www.thecmuwebsite.com/article/editors-letter-mercury-prize-2013-contenders/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Marling and Turner have both now equalled Radiohead's record 4 nominations? Edit: looks like Marling only has 3?
    Laura Marling 3, Arctic Monkeys 3, Alex Turner 4, PJ Harvey 4, Radiohead 4, Thom Yorke 5. Not that nominations really mean anything. PJ Harvey has the best record for winning it twice.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Bat For Lashes? I assumed that she would have been a dead cert.

If Jon Hopkins, Laura Mvula, Savages or Disclosure win then I'll be mildly satisfied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    Laura Marling 3, Arctic Monkeys 3, Alex Turner 4, PJ Harvey 4, Radiohead 4, Thom Yorke 5. Not that nominations really mean anything. PJ Harvey has the best record for winning it twice.

Great 'statting' there; thanks for that :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the shortlist may have been quite predictable but I think it's really open this year. You can make a case for most of the albums winning, depending on the type of music the judging panel want to reward.

My view is that David Bowie and Laura Marling are the strongest albums. I like most of the others but whilst they're decent, I think they are more patchy albums. Pleased to see Jon Hopkins on the list and wouldn't mind him winning either.

I initially thought (few weeks ago) that David Bowie would win but people were pointing out that he's very unlikely to turn up or take an interest in the award so maybe not. Can't really predict the winner this year no matter what the betting says later.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably won't win but my vote goes to the Savages. They have a little more of an edge and aren't as conventional and MOR as some of the other choices. Plus, I'm all for women playing instruments and starting their own band. These awards do tend to be kind of male dominated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bowie probably got nominated primarily because they know it would be a real coup if he actually showed up, but if he also played live, well, the prize would be his. But he's very unlikely to do either so I'm looking elsewhere. Marling could be the one given she has now received 3 noms and it's not really fair to ignore her thrice.
  • Options
    constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I own all apart from two of these albums (John Hopkins and David Bowie) and feel this is one of the strongest shortlist in years. All the albums are excellent but I'd prefer it if David Bowie and Arctic Monkeys didn't win simply because the money would mean nothing to them where as with the others I feel it will contribute to making stronger bodies of work in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I would love James Blake to win it, but probably won't happen.
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    I'd give it to Marling, shame Peace weren't nominated though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie probably got nominated primarily because they know it would be a real coup if he actually showed up, but if he also played live, well, the prize would be his. But he's very unlikely to do either so I'm looking elsewhere.
    He didn't get nominated just for being Bowie, it's a really good album and deserving of being shortlisted. He could still win but I think the judging panel will know that the award will mean a lot more to a newer, younger artist.

If I was forced to make a bet (or someone gave me the money ;)) I would probably choose Disclosure. New, young artist and something a bit different to what they normally go for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet James_Linham1 is a little annoyed at the lack of a jazz artist on the shortlist. Although the list is quite varied I kind of miss it not being there, it doesn't feel right somehow :D.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie probably got nominated primarily because they know it would be a real coup if he actually showed up, but if he also played live, well, the prize would be his. But he's very unlikely to do either so I'm looking elsewhere. Marling could be the one given she has now received 3 noms and it's not really fair to ignore her thrice.
    I'd be very surprised if Bowie didn't show up. As long as I've been following the Mercurys, every entrant has always been present on the night. And that includes the big names like Robert Plant. Adele etc as well as the more obscure entrants.What's so different or special about Bowie's case?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Bowie didn't show up. As long as I've been following the Mercurys, every entrant has always been present on the night. And that includes the big names like Robert Plant. Adele etc as well as the more obscure entrants.What's so different or special about Bowie's case?
    He may do, but it depends how much he cares about the award, if at all. The award really isn't that special, especially to long established artists like Bowie. It may also be that he doesn't want all the fuss and attention.

I'm sure he would have done a pre-recorded video acceptance speech but that's not how the award works. The judges decide on the night so no one knows who's going to win until the last minute.
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    After just listening to it for the first time there now, disappointed Frank Turner's; "Tape Deck Heart" wasn't even short-listed!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    He may do, but it depends how much he cares about the award, if at all. The award really isn't that special, especially to long established artists like Bowie. It may also be that he doesn't want all the fuss and attention.

I'm sure he would have done a pre-recorded video acceptance speech but that's not how the award works. The judges decide on the night so no one knows who's going to win until the last minute.

I bet he's a little bit chuffed to be nominated