Options

Patsy was so right that BB was trying to mock her beliefs

KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
Forum Member
Patsy was dead on in what she said in the diary room about BB trying to use the meditation task to mock her and her beliefs. Good on her for calling them out (and I'm very shocked BB aired her saying so, since she was so clearly right).

Comments

• Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree...mediation is not a belief, it is a practice. BB just seemed to be giving her some airtime doing something she purports to do in real life to calm down the house. No religious or spiritual connotations detected by me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its a belief for Patsy, and that's what's at issue. BB clearly meant to show her as some kind of flake--if they backed off that a bit its because she confronted them about it.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that BB were having a laugh at her expense. I wonder what comprise was made to make her change her mind.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meditation is not a religion, although it can be part of a religion in a similar way to yoga. What beliefs were being mocked? For many practitioners it is a life-style choice; a way of calming in a chaotic world. To use a cliche, she made a mountain out of a molehill, and came across as a petulant child
  • Options
    Flo71Flo71 Posts: 2,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then she should have had more self respect than to go along with it. No point whinging afterwards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I agree that BB were having a laugh at her expense. I wonder what comprise was made to make her change her mind.

More time in bed with tea and food being served to her. Do we actually see her standing up .. even on Launch night she was splayed over the sofa.
  • Options
    bbcrzybbcrzy Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Its a belief for Patsy, and that's what's at issue. BB clearly meant to show her as some kind of flake--if they backed off that a bit its because she confronted them about it.

it seemed clear BB just wanted to do a "calm before the storm" segment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meditation is not a religion, although it can be part of a religion in a similar way to yoga. What beliefs were being mocked? For many practitioners it is a life-style choice; a way of calming in a chaotic world. To use a cliche, she made a mountain out of a molehill, and came across as a petulant child

Are you being contrary just for the hell of it?

It's not about the reality of what meditation is or isn't. It's about how BB can present a belief system (which only YOU are saying means "religion") and use it to make someone look like a flake, a lightweight, a kook. This is not a debate over if meditation is any of those things, or if it's a religion, it's about a case where a media portrayal of someone who believes in living their lives with meditation as a key point was going to present them like a hippie, a flower child, a new Age idiot, etc. and imply they're a kook.

It didn't wind up looking that flakey or kooky because Patsy sussed out what they wanted to do and they backed off a bit. I'm sure the version of this we would have gotten otherwise would have looked and sounded a lot different than it did if she hadn't challenged them on it.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what they get paid for, CBB is not Betty Ford, they know the gig.

Meditating is just a "thing" like jogging, or Tai Chi. What if she was an adherent of Feng Shui? Should the house be designed to suit her Chakra?

They should have made her do it in a shock suit, or have her stand on her head so it for once looks like she's smiling.

By the way, I don't dislike Patsy, but she needs to lighten up. I don't think that the meditation is working.

After the hissy fit and refusing to do the first thing asked of her in the house, the task wasn't humiliating at all, far from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »
    This is what they get paid for, CBB is not Betty Ford, they know the gig.

Meditating is just a "thing" like jogging, or Tai Chi. What if she was an adherent of Feng Shui? Should the house be designed to suit her Chakra?

They should have made her do it in a shock suit, or made her stand on her head so it for once looks like she's smiling.

Oh I'm not even claiming the show had no right to try and do what they did. Just that she was dead on SEEING what they were doing. She's taken a lot of trash talk on this forum and I thought it was interesting that there is some evidence that however boring she is, she's not stupid. She saw what they were doing. The right or wrong of BB setting up the situation is something else entirely.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I like Patsy but that behaviour really wasn't her finest hour. She came accross as a stroppy teenager. It was an opportunity for her to impart her meditativeknowledge or even have a good old laugh, she didn't and I'm disappointed in her.:(
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She needs to get over herself.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm not even claiming the show had no right to try and do what they did. Just that she was dead on SEEING what they were doing. She's taken a lot of trash talk on this forum and I thought it was interesting that there is some evidence that however boring she is, she's not stupid. She saw what they were doing. The right or wrong of BB setting up the situation is something else entirely.

I've added to my post, but to be fair in my opinion the task she was given was not taking the piss at all. At least she could have agreed to it and look at what they had set up before she stonewalled the whole thing. Which I found to be a little over sensitive.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really:confused: Genuinely haven't seen a lot of negativity let alone "a lot of trash talk". :oAs I said I like Patsy, but don't think she engenders too much strong/forceful opinions on this forum.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you being contrary just for the hell of it?

It's not about the reality of what meditation is or isn't. It's about how BB can present a belief system (which only YOU are saying means "religion") and use it to make someone look like a flake, a lightweight, a kook. This is not a debate over if meditation is any of those things, or if it's a religion, it's about a case where a media portrayal of someone who believes in living their lives with meditation as a key point was going to present them like a hippie, a flower child, a new Age idiot, etc. and imply they're a kook.

It didn't wind up looking that flakey or kooky because Patsy sussed out what they wanted to do and they backed off a bit. I'm sure the version of this we would have gotten otherwise would have looked and sounded a lot different than it did if she hadn't challenged them on it.

No, I am offering my opinion. That is allowed on a discussion forum. OK?
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patsy is a poor housemate and looks like she should be in the nut house half the time with her pathetic attempts and trying to be noticed
    trying tothink of a single instance where she has done or said anything remotely interesting
    get her out before she has a nervous breakdown
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    For what it's worth, I agree with you. I like Patsy but that behaviour really wasn't her finest hour. She came accross as a stroppy teenager. It was an opportunity for her to impart her meditativeknowledge or even have a good old laugh, she didn't and I'm disappointed in her.:(
    Agree. She needs a big dose of lighten up.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is part of her religion then she should have treated it as such and done it with a bit more grace and made everyone understand it was serious. What a wasted chance to show everyone why she finds it so helpful and possibly help others into the discipline.
  • Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patsy is a poor housemate and looks like she should be in the nut house half the time with her pathetic attempts and trying to be noticed
    trying tothink of a single instance where she has done or said anything remotely interesting
    get her out before she has a nervous breakdown
    My view exactly--I thought she'd be fab, but the Meditation Session was BB trying desperately to get her to Do Something Remotely Interesting which she'd enjoy, plus it was meant to be Positivity to counteract all the vile Perezery going on. Patsy's too stupid to see this and freaked out, but I really enjoyed that segment. She's a Fool--get her out!
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    I do like Pats, but seriously when you go in the BB house you are handing yourself over to them to be made into a laughing stock. It goes with the territory and that's why they are being paid shedloads, to be made fun of, so in that respect I haven't go much sympathy for her.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patsy was dead on in what she said in the diary room about BB trying to use the meditation task to mock her and her beliefs. Good on her for calling them out (and I'm very shocked BB aired her saying so, since she was so clearly right).

She is being paid so so much money. It's an entertainment show. The rules state you have to do as big brother says or face the punishment. The show is about humiliation. She took the money.

Meditation is not a religion.

Following what happened in Paris, everyone is saying there is a right to offend and even offending a whole religion is not as important as being allowed to mock that religion. So Big Brother can mock her, and she has to accept it or leave.
  • Options
    JVSJVS Posts: 12,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BB will humiliate anybody and do anything to get a storyline - except maybe being overly sexist or anti-ethnic minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    If it is part of her religion then she should have treated it as such and done it with a bit more grace and made everyone understand it was serious. What a wasted chance to show everyone why she finds it so helpful and possibly help others into the discipline.

Something can be a belief without being a religion.

It's like being a vegetarian. Or the more radical version, a Vegan. Those are beliefs too, but nobody would try and pigeonhole them as religions.

And that also has a lot in common with the meditation in that it's a non-religious belief that can easily be grabbed on by a media portrayal to make someone look like a total nutter. A percentage of the people doing it perhaps even being nutters... but usually for far broader reasons than them non eating meat, or doing lots of yoga.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She is being paid so so much money. It's an entertainment show. The rules state you have to do as big brother says or face the punishment. The show is about humiliation. She took the money.

Meditation is not a religion.

How many times in how many responses do I have to basically say "meditation is a belief, not a religion" before people stop spitting back to me posts acting like I said the very opposite? Please read my posts before commenting, it would be appreciated.

I also explicitly stated in a follow up post (and strongly implied in my original post) that BB had every right to do what they did, but that I thought it interesting (and quite satisfying) that she'd turned it around on them. Again, me saying that seems to be being ignored, with a response taking me for task, as if I'd said the opposite thing (that BB somehow had no right to do it). They have every right to try to get her to do it, but if she was able to get them to back off on it, then good for her.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Pats, but seriously when you go in the BB house you are handing yourself over to them to be made into a laughing stock. It goes with the territory and that's why they are being paid shedloads, to be made fun of, so in that respect I haven't go much sympathy for her.

Agreed
    She's a bit precious so somehow expects to retain her dignity in CBB, which is ridiculous. No one's "belief system" was being swiped at, it was just a bit of lid lifting on the "Patsy Kensit Persona" she's created.