Options

Zimbabwe Election Results Through

jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
Forum Member
✭✭
Finally released Tsvangirai 47.9, Mugabe 43.2. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7380445.stm

Looks like it will be the same outcome as last time. :(

Comments

• Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Doesn't look good. Because Tsvangirai didn't get more than 50% there needs to be a run off within 21 days. Tsvangirai is currently refusing to take part in any run off, if he doesn't then Mugabe wins by default.

I can't blame Tsvangirai, there is only ever going to be one result and that's a win for Mugabe and lots of MDC members and supporters losing their lives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Surely that should read 'Zimbabwe Election 'Results' Through'.

I shouldn't make light of an awful situation, but I do think that Tsvangirai should take part in the run-off, as not taking part would had the election to Mugabe.

The MDC's own results say he won 50.3% of the vote. Given standard margins of eror, and the clandestine way the results were collected, it is possible he got under 50%.

Hopefully the runoff will go ahead, and the international community will pressure the SADC and, in particular, South Africa, to ensure free and fair elections, and, hopefully, a change of government.
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Surely that should read 'Zimbabwe Election 'Results' Through'.

I shouldn't make light of an awful situation, but I do think that Tsvangirai should take part in the run-off, as not taking part would had the election to Mugabe.

The MDC's own results say he won 50.3% of the vote. Given standard margins of eror, and the clandestine way the results were collected, it is possible he got under 50%.

Hopefully the runoff will go ahead, and the international community will pressure the SADC and, in particular, South Africa, to ensure free and fair elections, and, hopefully, a change of government.

It's pretty easy for someone to find out the results before the ZEC announced. Once polling has closed each polling station has to post the results on the wall outside for all to see. All the MDC had to do was have a representative at each polling station to note down the results. So unless the MDC are flat out lying then their numbers of 50.3% are likely to be accurate.

The problem with Tsvangirai taking part in a run off is it's giving legitimacy to the whole thing. Even if by some miracle they let him win I can't see Mugabe letting go that easily.

Plus Tsvangirai is in exile in South Africa at the moment. If he returns to Zimbabwe at the moment I'd say his chances of living are 50/50.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    pje1979 wrote: »
    It's pretty easy for someone to find out the results before the ZEC announced. Once polling has closed each polling station has to post the results on the wall outside for all to see. All the MDC had to do was have a representative at each polling station to note down the results. So unless the MDC are flat out lying then their numbers of 50.3% are likely to be accurate.

The problem with Tsvangirai taking part in a run off is it's giving legitimacy to the whole thing. Even if by some miracle they let him win I can't see Mugabe letting go that easily.

Plus Tsvangirai is in exile in South Africa at the moment. If he returns to Zimbabwe at the moment I'd say his chances of living are 50/50.

First of all, I'd like to point out I want Mugabe out as much as everyone else.

However, having someone ring results through to a national database isn't an entirely accurate way of doing things. I'm not accusing the MDC of lying, rather that their 0.3% over the necessary threshold is a bit close to the edge to actually claim victory given the way they collected their results.

Tsvangirai taking part does give the process legitimacy. However, to my mind, not taking part just gives Mugabe the legitimate right to crow about how he was unnopposed in the runoff election, and therefore wins by default.

The MDCs tactics ought to be to fight Mugabe at every opportunity, not to just sulk off when they are seemingly better supported than ever before.

Losing a second national vote would just put even more pressure on Mugabe, and the international community.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First I am glad to say that the results, as finally declared, are at least believable. The Zimbabwe Electoral commission has probably done a good job in what is certainly a very difficult situation for its staff, both high and low.

There might be several good reasons why Tsvangirai might decide not to stand in a run-off.

1. A re-run might be fixed for Mugabe in some manner of means, so no point in wasting time and resources on it.
    2. Voter intimidation could lead to many deaths, with MDC supporters bearing the brunt.
    3. The MDC now controls parliament. It can therefore, hopefully, moderate the President's more extreme actions (although personally, I doubt it).
    4. It could well be an embarrasment to "the old man" to win power this way when everyone knows he lost the first round of voting. He might even withdraw himself in that situation (again doubtful, but he is a proud man).
  • Options
    SamoanJOESamoanJOE Posts: 3,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised Boris didn't win!!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MDC did indeed send representatives to many polling stations across the country, that's where there 50.3% figure came from. By forcing the polling stations to indivually release the results, it has given the opportunity for the truth to be known.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamoanJOE wrote: »
    Surprised Boris didn't win!!

LOL:D

Perhaps the reason we still don't know the result of the London Mayor election is that the counting has been subcontracted to the Zimbabwe electoral Commission!:D