Snow Watch 2010/11 Season

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    www.raintoday.co.uk is what I've been using lately ;)
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is light Snow here in Fenland:eek:

I think the Dustmen are going have bit of trouble in the next few days with the Wheelie Bins as the lids are all Iced up and and most of the people in my road are having trouble opening them:eek:
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »

I think the Dustmen are going have bit of trouble in the next few days with the Wheelie Bins as the lids are all Iced up and and most of the people in my road are having trouble opening them:eek:

Boot the side. pops the lid up a treat. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the hardest snow I have ever witnessed.
  • tania4stevetania4steve Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which bit of Fenland are you in?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    ff999 wrote: »
    How is Winchester doing so far? I'm supposed to be findinga B&B for sat night to do some christmas shopping for the weekend, but I don't know if it's a good idea to set out. Any advice now how things are at your end would be great.

First question would be, where are you coming from?

It's been snowing here now for a couple of hours or so, the flakes are thicker than when it began and it's laying. The sky appears to be full of snow, so it could carry on for some time.

However, I doubt we'll get the volume that up north have had, and if there's a drop in temp by the weekend it could well turn to mush.

My advice would be to check the roads on Saturday but I'll post in here again with updates anyway :D
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First question would be, where are you coming from?

It's been snowing here now for a couple of hours or so, the flakes are thicker than when it began and it's laying. The sky appears to be full of snow, so it could carry on for some time.

However, I doubt we'll get the volume that up north have had, and if there's a drop in temp by the weekend it could well turn to mush.

My advice would be to check the roads on Saturday but I'll post in here again with updates anyway :D
    Thanks - I'll be coming from just north of Heathrow, M25/M3, and so hopefully avoiding the worst of the M25.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had more than 6" today just to top up what we've had the last week. More due tomorrow. It's already over the top of my wellies, will have to get the waders out of the shed:D:D

No public transport or schools open. Shops struggling with supplies. Many major routes closed.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double B wrote: »
    This is the hardest snow I have ever witnessed.

Where are you?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy_S wrote: »
    Just looking at the raintoday site and it looks like there could be heavy snowfalls along the south coast. Look out Portsmouth - it's headed right for you.

Just when you think it's moving on from near you, more appears on the radar!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    Where are you?

Poole/Bournemouth, Dorset. Tonking it down for nearly an hour and has already settled.

Already seen a few cars doing a good impression of those celebrities on week one of Dancing on Ice.

Quite amusing.
    Forum Member
    It's so pwetty! :D Just realised I need new battries for the camera though, wish I'd thought of that earlier! I'll have to trudge in and get some tomorrow, but I can never resist taking snow pics :D
  • tubzy2001tubzy2001 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very light snow near dorchester
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    The stuff in the SE at the moment may not be falling too heavily but it will be hanging around through into tomorrow morning....so it will build up over about 12 hrs at least. Very dry powdery snow too so blowing around in the wind as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Snowing much heavier here in Southampton now. Big flakes as well. :cool:
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    The stuff in the SE at the moment may not be falling too heavily but it will be hanging around through into tomorrow morning....so it will build up over about 12 hrs at least. Very dry powdery snow too so blowing around in the wind as well.

Yeah, it's no as heavy as it has been but it's constant.
    Forum Member
    I hate going to sleep when it's snowing, just case it's gone when I wake up :D
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I must be hallucinating! Both the Met Office and the BBC don't forecast snow for us tonight. ( Albrighton, Shropshire); yet we've had a slow, light fall for the last couple of hours.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which bit of Fenland are you in?

i am in March!
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrendous around and outside Edinburgh. I was supposed to go there this week but I'm not bothering now. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend in Aberdeen said she couldn't see out of her window this morning because of it.
    Leeds first got hit with the heavy stuff yesterday, it continued into today and is supposed to continue tomorrow too!

Buses effectively stopped running by lunchtime today, I doubt there'll be much of a bus service tomorrow.

Should make Friday's commute an interesting experience!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Nah....fingers tightly crossed....it's got to be extreme for us to get snow

Indeed. We've managed to be out of reach of it here in Bristol - it's usually run out of steam by Wiltshire/Oxfordshire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am in March!

Aha! I have rellies in Wisbech, Emneth & Outwell.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's changed from light snow to very heavy in SW London.

More to the point my neighbour got into her car courtesy of the spare keys. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    My friend in Aberdeen said she couldn't see out of her window this morning because of it.
    Leeds first got hit with the heavy stuff yesterday, it continued into today and is supposed to continue tomorrow too!

Buses effectively stopped running by lunchtime today, I doubt there'll be much of a bus service tomorrow.

Should make Friday's commute an interesting experience!

My brother drove from Aberdeen back to East Anglia yesterday, usually takes 7 hours, took 12!!
This discussion has been closed.