Options

Our eldest cat is not well at all :(

Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Our eldest cat who is coming up for 19 has suddenly become ill. He has always loved his food and been very affectionate but all of yesterday he slept and is going a bit weak and his back legs are giving up on him. :( He has also stopped eating and drinking. Think we are going to have to take him to the vets later and I'm fearing the worst. Its going to be really tough because we haven't lost a cat for over 10 years now and we've always had them. I get the sense that our other two cats realise something is not right too. Does anybody think there may be hope? I was wondering if it might be cat flu brought on by the bad weather and therefore treatable but the symptoms don't seem to match up. :( I have a bad feeling its simply old age.

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your puss OP.

I won't give you false hope though as he is an old boy BUT until you take him to the vets you wont know, so please book an appointment ASAP.

At least when you know you can do the right thing for him!

Best wishes to you and your family.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    If his back legs are packing up and he's not eating/drinking it sounds to me as though his kidneys and/or liver are packing up too. Sorry OP. I know it's not a comment of hope but I'd prepare yourself. 19 years is a very good age. A trip to the vet is a must ASAP as if he cannot digest/process anything then he is suffering greatly, internally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies.

As soon as my mum or dad get back from work today, we will take him to the vets.

At the moment he is lying in our lounge on the floor with a blanket over him. When I go to stroke him he still purrs but its much weaker than normal as he has little strength. :(
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old boy :(

I hope they can treat him, but as others have said, with his age, the signs are all there I am sorry to say. You will make the right decision I am sure. I know I have posted this before on another thread, but I hope it will help you in deciding when the time is right

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    and pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then you must do what must be done,
    For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
    Don't let this grief then stay your hand.
    For this day more than all the rest,
    Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years
    What is to come can hold no fears.
    You'd not want me to suffer, so
    When the time comes let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend
    Only, stay with me till the end.
    And hold me firm, and speak to me,
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you too will see
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Though my tail its last has waved
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve that it should be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do.
    We've been so close we all these years
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a lovely poem, thank you for posting it.

It makes me feel very sad though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    That's a lovely poem, thank you for posting it.

It makes me feel very sad though.

Many of us have been where you are, all thinking of you. Just spend your day having as nice a time as you can with your little friend as I think it's a day you'll remember forever.
  • Options
    DaisyMaisyDaisyMaisy Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same thing was happening to me 9 weeks ago today.

Reno was 21, she went downhill fast. It was a heartbreaking decision to make but I know it was the right thing to do before she started suffering.

If there's nothing that could be done for him, my advice is when the time comes, be there with him and for him. Let him know that you are there and that you love him eternally.

I'm hoping for the best for you and your little fella.:)

What's his name, by the way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your kindness everybody.

His name is Tink (my sister called him Tinkerbell but we've always called him Tink). Its going to be really sad if the worst happens because we had him from a really small kitten from about 5 weeks old when I was about 7 or 8 years old and my sister was younger than that. I'm 27 now so he has been in our lives for a long time.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww How did it go with tinks ......:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum and dad have just taken Tink to the vets. Doesn't look good at all because he couldn't move his back legs. I said my goodbyes just in case. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Edit: Posted just as you posted.

Fingers crossed but at least you spent the day with him comforting him. In the future it will be a comfort to you that you did this.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your kind messages.

My parents have just got back and the vet didn't want to put him to sleep just yet so they are going to monitor him for a couple of days and ring us if his condition deteriorates. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed that all will be well, and I'm sending out positive energy for Tink
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for your kind messages.

My parents have just got back and the vet didn't want to put him to sleep just yet so they are going to monitor him for a couple of days and ring us if his condition deteriorates. I will keep you posted.

Well that's positive news. :) Fingers, toes etc crossed that he improves. Just a thought but maybe he's arthritic and the cold weather has caused him to seize a little. Anyway, won't speculate anymore. Thanks for the update OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Thoughts are with you and Tink :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm deeply saddened to say that we had to have Tink put to sleep today. Unfortunately he didn't respond to any treatment so it was the kindest thing to do. I'm feeling really sad right now but I think the poem has helped me and my family a lot. He is going to leave a big gap in all of our lives.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm deeply saddened to say that we had to have Tink put to sleep today. Unfortunately he didn't respond to any treatment so it was the kindest thing to do. I'm feeling really sad right now but I think the poem has helped me and my family a lot. He is going to leave a big gap in all of our lives.

I'm so, so sorry :( I know exactly what you're going through. Our pets are part of the family and it's devastating when they leave us.

Thinking of you!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am realy sorry. A big part of your life as gone now but you have so many memories from Tink. RIP little one
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear this Jay but Tink knew he was loved very much. I'm glad the poem helped you all.

Sleep tight Tink :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's sad news. :(
  • Options
    DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so, so sorry

RIP Tink :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    So sorry to hear this :(

x Sweet Dreams Tink x
  • Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this Jay but Tink knew he was loved very much. I'm glad the poem helped you all.

Sleep tight Tink :cry:

Sad to learn of this I'm sure Tink thought of you as you did of him sleep well puss :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    :cry: RIP Tink. So sorry to read that Jay. Best wishes to you and your family.
  • Options
    JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Tink.

I had to say goodbye to Neo two months ago. I turned to DS pet posts and many DS members helped me through it. So I will say to you what helped me... Neo will be waiting for Tink at the bridge and will show him the ropes. Another DS member had his cat Nico wait for Neo, and I truly believe that they will play at the bridge, painless, chasing butterflies and will be waiting for us when its our time.

What I will say is as bad as it is, after its happened there is a sense of relief for Neo and Tink, that the pains gone, it's eased, and you can be left with the happy memories of him, and what you had together.

Stay strong

xxxx