Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've never been on a plane before have you. You wouldn't get a signal.:kitty:

Clearly not. I used to walk to Amsterdam each week when I worked there ..
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    How do you steal a plane midflight? What about the passengers?
    I never thought of that before but it is indeed possible that its been hijacked and flown elsewhere but then again people would have seen it as its pretty hard to hide a plane . But I guess it's tracking equipment could have been switched off?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is all very strange.

Apparently the oil slicks have been confirmed as NOT being from the plane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    This is all very strange.

Apparently the oil slicks have been confirmed as NOT being from the plane.

Nothing strange that. Plenty of vessels dump waste, including oil, into the sea.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hijacked by whom and where is the thing hiding?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never thought of that before but it is indeed possible that its been hijacked and flown elsewhere but then again people would have seen it as its pretty hard to hide a plane . But I guess it's tracking equipment could have been switched off?

Was the captain involved?
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Hijacked by whom and where is the thing hiding?

SPECTRE in a volcano of course

Blofelds not dead
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    From wiki: While Brazilian authorities were able to locate the first major wreckage within five days of the accident, initial investigation was hampered because the aircraft's black boxes were not recovered from the ocean floor until May 2011, nearly two years later.

So going by that we shouldn't be surprised they haven't found anything yet. Although this area is smaller and would seem to have vast more ships/boats and planes looking for debris.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not unless the Malaysians are ahead of the game, which I doubt. Especially on that particular plane.

The difficulties of getting a signal in a plane are highlighted here (Ref Flight 93).
    Being over water would reduce the odds even more, where are the cell phone masts?

I doubt that that plane would have the pico cell transponder upgrade installed either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of that film when an Aircraft Carrier went back in time. Some way from the Bermuda triangle too!
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    The mystery surrounding this lost airliner would make for a great TV show.

It'll probably be a film in a short time.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Reminds me of that film when an Aircraft Carrier went back in time. Some way from the Bermuda triangle too!

Philadelphia Experiment?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    They may know more than they've said so far. When the Air France flight crashed it was feeding back data from the avionics up until the actual crash... data which indicated failures in the avionics. From what I remember the authorities didnt release this information until a week after the crash. Hopefully this plane would have a similar system.

That was ACARS, which isn't widely monitored though (it goes to the manufacturer's database). It is infrequent pings of data (maybe once every couple of minutes), though I agree that is something which investigators will be trying to track down, as it would give an indication of any avionics problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SPECTRE in a volcano of course

Blofelds not dead

If it had crash landed then there would be some trace of wreckage? Unless it has been hijacked and know one is letting on incase they are spooked?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 hours into flight about 35000 feet up. Radar might have picked up something turning which hasn't been ruled out. Then vanished.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    This is really freaking me out that they haven't found the plane yet. It's all strange!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Clearly not. I used to walk to Amsterdam each week when I worked there ..

It is possible to be within GSM cell range on flights, but generally only short-haul and even then only when near or above land. At 35,000 above the South China Sea....not likely.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been doing some research, and found this interesting article about a deep sea submersible which China has, and tested, laying a flag at the bottom of the sea, in secret.

But point is, this same vehicle could be used to look for the missing plane a lot faster. The media haven't said if this deep sea vehicle has been used in the search.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/science/12deepsea.html?_r=0
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Philadelphia Experiment?

sounds to me like The Final Countdown except it was in the pacific ocean near Hawaii
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QPRbabe wrote: »
    This is really freaking me out that they haven't found the plane yet. It's all strange!

Not everything is instantaneous. The search area is massive and a plane/debris is very small
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    Nothing strange that. Plenty of vessels dump waste, including oil, into the sea.

The first comment wasn't linked to the second. I meant the whole thing is strange, not that the oil slinks not being from the plane is.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

It is totally normal for it to take this long. Tv shows that show a plance crash and a boat arrives 10 minutes later at the exact site make people assume these things happen quick
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It is possible to be within GSM cell range on flights, but generally only short-haul and even then only when near or above land. At 35,000 above the South China Sea....not likely.

Indeed.

When we were going to Crete last year, as we were descending over some of the other Greek islands, we were able to pick up a signal from mobile networks. However, we were unable to send or receive anything.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Again, it's not unusual for a plane not to be found yet. Can take weeks or months to find sometimes.

There is absolutely nothing unusual about this case at all.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

Well yes I was taking their location into consideration. :D I have on occasions had a mobile signal when descending on a plane. Of course I shouldn't have had my phone on. :blush:
This discussion has been closed.