If you are sick or disabled, be fearful tonight

1235»

Comments

• bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    How then do you explain the numbers of people with major ailments who are denied ill-health benefits every week?

Two words: health tourism
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    exactly this is what gets people who work and pay tax

its the way the work "disabled" has been abused

if youre obese , well you did that to yourself

its a self inflicted injury

why should you expect the state to subsidise your lack of control

its the NHS timebomb which will cost BILLIONS

people need to stop blaming everyone else for there weaknesses

No one is classed as disabled just for being fat
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Unlikely.
    Forum Member
    exactly this is what gets people who work and pay tax

its the way the work "disabled" has been abused

I would hope that most working taxpaying people realise that it's disabled people themselves who have been abused, not the word.
    Forum Member
    truth hurts

A glib phrase, often used when "truth" is confused with personal opinion.
    looks like the GBP agrees with me
    How do you make that out?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    truth hurts

looks like the GBP agrees with me

There's all the difference in the world between expressing an honest opinion and showing yourself to be vile in the way that you express it.
    Sadly the distinction seems to have escaped you.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Evidence for that assertion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Evidence for that assertion?

Oh go and look it up for yourself. This isn't the 1980's anymore where you have to dig through papers and libraries. Google is your friend.
    Forum Member
    Oh go and look it up for yourself. This isn't the 1980's anymore where you have to dig through papers and libraries. Google is your friend.

It's up to the person who makes a claim to provide evidence for it. If you don't do that, then you can't really expect anyone else to take it seriously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's up to the person who makes a claim to provide evidence for it. If you don't do that, then you can't really expect anyone else to take it seriously.

You'd better call the police then.
    Oh, no, don't. I just remembered it's not a law !
    Forum Member
    You'd better call the police then.
    Oh, no, don't. I just remembered it's not a law !

You're right, it's not a law. It's just common sense.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    One third of voters voted for this.

I know but that could not matter less. The conservatives have said that they now have a clear mandate and I suppose they do.

The Disabled should be worried along with the unemployed, those with chronic illnesses and anyone who relies on the public sector at all for support should be worried.

I cant be bothered to argue anymore with the right wing. They have won and a dark age of cuts, zero hours working, NHS privatisation, 1930's levels of public sector spending, further dismantling of the welfare state, EU exit and Scottish Independence will descend on the UK over the next 5 years and by 2020 the UK will be a very different place than it is today.

You conservative voters have got what you wanted, I hope you will be happy with what you have done
  • mick rmick r Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also be fearful if you are employed ? Be fearful of MAXIMUS who are an american company appointed by the tories to get you back to work if you are on sick ,if you dont comply with them you will get your sick pay stopped ?.This is being in place since march 2015 .The attack on the disabled and poor is just the start .
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It may be lack of sleep, but you'll have to help me out here.

How does health tourism lead to people with disabling health issues failing their ESA assessments and being declared fit to work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    It may be lack of sleep, but you'll have to help me out here.

How does health tourism lead to people with disabling health issues failing their ESA assessments and being declared fit to work?

I would not bother to argue, after all the party lying about health tourism have won a majority and a mandate
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    One third of voters voted for this.

so what?

only 35% vote for tony blair in 2005

eg 65% DIDNT

you lost, man up deal with it
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Boo hoo for the self-declared benefit scroungers who will now have to actually make contributory plans to support themselves instead of expecting me to pay for their lifestyles.

**** GEORGE, George - David's calling you - I think you've got a speech to make ****
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not bother to argue, after all the party lying about health tourism have won a majority and a mandate

Thanks to people who don't understand the reality of life for vulnerable people in Britain and think that because their sister gets plenty of support it must be the same for everyone else. >:(
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to people who don't understand the reality of life for vulnerable people in Britain and think that because their sister gets plenty of support it must be the same for everyone else. >:(

It's my sister-in-law not sister and I didn't say that - I said that despite the scaremongering on here the system seems to be working for some disabled people.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member

Indeed Lakie, having looked at various disability forums it is clear that the overwhelming majority of posters, knowing that chronically ill and disabled people were hit the hardest under the coalition, are terrified about what the next 5 years will hold for them. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens but it is understandable that people are so worried. The recently leaked paper about welfare cuts acknowledged there is "not much low-hanging fruit left" so it will be genuine people in need that will be hit, not the "scroungers" so childishly mentioned earlier in the thread. It is inevitable that sick and disabled people will be targeted yet again, it is just a question of how severely.

As for the housing situation mentioned by a previous poster, here you are not even allowed to register for social housing, even after being assessed as being in the most urgent medical need, if you are not a pensioner or an existing social housing tenant. The Leonard Cheshire "Home Truths" campaign highlighted the horrific conditions in which many disabled people are forced to live because of the shortage of suitable properties. It is an issue that needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency but sadly I don't think the politicians care.
    Forum Member
    so what?

only 35% vote for tony blair in 2005

eg 65% DIDNT

Just shows that we need to change the voting system.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like some posters I also predicted a Conservative majority. Although I will go further and predict they will repeat the feat in 2020.

When times are tough the electorate turn to nationalism. It is the way of the world.
    Even though Ed Miliband was never going to be elected leader of the country, it doesn't help that he led the Labour party in the current economic climate.

My hope is the Conservatives make the cuts they're going to make straight away. Instead of doing it in piecemeal fashion.
    If £200bn needs to be cut from the Nhs. Do it now.
    If £100bn needs to disappear from JSA. Do it now.

If economic prosperity can come from less spending, let's get to it.

I saw real poverty in the 80's. It doesn't exist in that form today.

Those in difficult circumstances (many of whom voted for the Conservatives) aren't worried about cuts or the consequences of them.
    Which makes me wonder why I would care for them, or their lot.