Neighbours - Declan to be recast

Jadelyn09Jadelyn09 Posts: 655
Forum Member
✭✭
Neighbours favourite James Sorensen is departing the long running soap, but in a twist, his character is remaining on Ramsay St. Sorensen will depart the show in April after three successful years playing Declan Napier.
He will be replaced in the role by newcomer Erin Mullally. The Neighbours gig is the 20-year-old Sydney-sider's first major TV role. He was introduced to his new cast mates on the Neighbours set on Thursday.
Sorensen, a keen photographer, is leaving the show to pursue other interests and, according to a show spokeswoman, producers were not ready for the character of Declan to leave Erinsborough.

So Declan/James fans, what do you make of the news?

Comments

• garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Jadelyn09 wrote: »
    Neighbours favourite James Sorensen is departing the long running soap, but in a twist, his character is remaining on Ramsay St. Sorensen will depart the show in April after three successful years playing Declan Napier.
    He will be replaced in the role by newcomer Erin Mullally. The Neighbours gig is the 20-year-old Sydney-sider's first major TV role. He was introduced to his new cast mates on the Neighbours set on Thursday.
    Sorensen, a keen photographer, is leaving the show to pursue other interests and, according to a show spokeswoman, producers were not ready for the character of Declan to leave Erinsborough.

Do you have a source for this please?
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    this stinks seriously. what are they trying to do with the show? so what if james is leaving. just have declan go live with steve & miranda its not that bloody hard to write him out!!!

JAMES is DECLAN :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Aww i like this Declan,, even if he is young enough to be me son :D
  • flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,804
    Forum Member
    Aww that's such a shame. James IS Declan!
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    That sounds odd to me. If James Sorensen wants to leave, it would be more realistic to have a storyline in which he and India go and settle somewhere else, or go to university or something.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,871
    Forum Member
    In my opinion this is exactly what they should have done with Dan instead of having Libby losing yet another bloke.
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    This is actually awful new's and doesn't really make much sence.. i'm hoping Digital spy says something soon.

I really hope not, it doesn't make much sence, but then him leaving doesn't either, however i don't see why they couldn't have him have 3 months off like Sam Clark did and then see where it went from there.

Although.. one less reminder of Bridget...

But damm James is hot =[
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If im honest Neighbours feels like a show in its death throes to me.

The only problem is I fear Five will put it on life support and prolong its suffering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,306
    Forum Member
    Doubt it, its one of Five's highest rated shows!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please also recast that awful acress who plays Kate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackrew wrote: »
    Doubt it, its one of Five's highest rated shows!
    exactly Five will put in on a life support machine and prolong its suffering.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most recasts really don't work. Declan is such an iconic character in neighbours I don't know how it could succeed. Some of the few exceptions were Scott and Flynn/Pipper in H&A, but mostly because they were they for such a long time after.

This one... oh noes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm suprised Neighbours decided to re-cast Declan considering how long James has been playing the character for. Personally i think it's a stupid mistake on there behalf. If James wants to leave then they should of just written Declan out.

I take it this is the new actor who will be playing Declan?

http://www.facebook.com/people/Erin-Mullally/1517986230

Not sure what to think.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    If this is true, for me I would like it. Declan came in the show tricking a 8 year old to rob a house, plus all his other 'bad boy' storylines.. Now look at his character, so dull, even if he is a teenage father, they need to give him more to do away from India, he has nothing going for him. Hopefully with a recast they will change him slightly to give him some character and give him more storylines.
  • Jadelyn09Jadelyn09 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this please?

Sorry, meant to write it underneath the post. It's from Perfectblend.net
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most recasts really don't work. Declan is such an iconic character in neighbours I don't know how it could succeed. Some of the few exceptions were Scott and Flynn/Pipper in H&A, but mostly because they were they for such a long time after.

This one... oh noes.

I'd hardly say he's iconic.

I'd be very surprised if this were true, though. Neighbours have been very unwilling to recast in recent years, even when it was the obvious choice (Dan and Joe Scully both spring to mind), and I can't think of any re-casts that haven't either been children and/or following a long absence from our screens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think iconic is going OTT, but he is one of the shows better characters at the moment. He is also well connected to other characters on the show, and has great chemistry with them.
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jadelyn09 wrote: »

Very sad that James Sorenson is leaving. He is a likable guy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the source is an Austrailian newspaper (The Herald Sun) so is pretty much 100%. Very surprised to be honest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LDN wrote: »
    please also recast that awful acress who plays Kate

Kate's good. Ashleigh Brewer is a good actress.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    What a shame if true, James Sorensen is probably the best actor out of the teen bunch and Declan often seems like the only teenage character worth watching simply because he's so much more mature than any of the rest.

I don't think a recast would work, James has great chemistry with the other actors and especially Jane Hall who plays Rebecca, their scenes are always great.

The Neighbours producers should use his departure, whenever it comes as an opportunity for a good exit for both James and Declan, not a recast.
  • Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like James as Declan. However, times change. Disadvantage for Erin is that he'll be compared to James, even though if his acting style may be different. He'd probably have a better reception playing a new character. Still, I hope for the best. Good luck to both men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie x wrote: »
    I'm suprised Neighbours decided to re-cast Declan considering how long James has been playing the character for. Personally i think it's a stupid mistake on there behalf. If James wants to leave then they should of just written Declan out.

I take it this is the new actor who will be playing Declan?

http://www.facebook.com/people/Erin-Mullally/1517986230

Not sure what to think.

I reckon it must be. He is a good looking guy mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This one... oh noes.

There have been many re-casts in Neighbours, and they have worked only because the character concerned was written out for a while. I am thinking...

Scott Robinson
    Beverley Marshall
    Lucy Robinson, re-cast twice
    Philip Martin
    Darren Stark (the original Darren Stark now plays Lucas)
    Toby Mangel
    Sky Mangel
    Charlie Hoyland
    Libby was re-cast temporarily as was Cheryl Stark
  • emmalou78emmalou78 Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear that James is leaving, like lots of people have already said, James is Declan and to replace him just won't work for me. I remember when they did it with Libby when Kym was ill for a month and I just couldn't get used to Michaela Banas.