Exeter Bus Station - right to evacuate?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On Wednesday, Exeter Bus Station received a threat of a bomb on the site. The threat was hand-written on nearby toilets.

The police maintained they warned Stagecoach (who run the bus station) and told them there was no need to evacuate, though Stagecoach deny being told not to evacuate.

Yesterdays article is here and a follow up article in todays paper (containing a comment of mine :) ) is here.

It's worth noting before replying, Exeter was the location for an attempted bombing two years ago when just the culprit was injured when it inadvertently detonated in a toilet. Another one was located nearby.

So, were Stagecoach right to evacuate?

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wish it had gone off and demolished the bus station, Paris Street and most of Sidwell Street, surely some of the ugliest urban areas in England.

It always seems strange that Exeter was the location of an attempted suicide bomber. I mean, Exeter, of all places!

I wonder if my sister and her husband were caught up in it. I dropped them off at the bus station on Wednesday morning at 11.15am because they were catching a coach to Heathrow and then a flight to Los Angeles. She would've been savage if they'd had to drag their luggage along the concourse only to drag it back to Bampfylde Street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish it had gone off and demolished the bus station, Paris Street and most of Sidwell Street, surely some of the ugliest urban areas in England.

It always seems strange that Exeter was the location of an attempted suicide bomber. I mean, Exeter, of all places!

I wonder if my sister and her husband were caught up in it. I dropped them off at the bus station on Wednesday morning at 11.15am because they were catching a coach to Heathrow and then a flight to Los Angeles. She would've been savage if they'd had to drag their luggage along the concourse only to drag it back to Bampfylde Street.

Lol. I always thought that back when Princesshay was targeted.

I doubt they'd had been affected. I'd finished college at 12:15, I know people who caught buses at 12:30 from the bus station who were unaffected but those who caught buses at 12:45 were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I guess all threats need to be taken seriously.

I worked in a building where someone left a bag outside. It was opposite the town hall and outside of the tallest building in the area. Someone said it might be a bomb and the entire town centre surrounding the building was evacuated. It was great because I just went shopping in the other part of the centre for 3 hours. They even called in the bomb squad who found out it was just... a jacket in a bag!

This was in Middlesbrough, probably one of the least likely places to be victim of a bomb (in the centre, at least) because the locals ruin the place without the need of terrorism.
    Forum Member
    nthorn wrote: »
    Lol. I always thought that back when Princesshay was targeted.

I doubt they'd had been affected. I'd finished college at 12:15, I know people who caught buses at 12:30 from the bus station who were unaffected but those who caught buses at 12:45 were.

Oh ok. I think their coach went at 12 so they must've been unaffected. I did my A levels at Exeter College, a long time ago now.

:o

I hate Exeter though. I think the people are really thick and, apart from a few fragments of the old city, it's as ugly as sin!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has Exeter done to either Northern Ireland or the Middle East? :confused:
    Forum Member
    What has Exeter done to either Northern Ireland or the Middle East? :confused:

That's why the suicide bomb attack was so utterly bizarre, lol. I think Exeter is the only place outside London to have had someone attempt a suicide bomb attack.
  • TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Exeter though. I think the people are really thick and, apart from a few fragments of the old city, it's as ugly as sin!

My son lives in Exeter.:rolleyes:
    That's why the suicide bomb attack was so utterly bizarre, lol. .

If you were bright enough to do a little research it's not really so bizarre.

The "bomber" was a lad from Plymouth with aspergers and a mental age of 10.

Muslim extremist scum took advantage and groomed him online.
    Forum Member
    TheDonk wrote: »

If you were bright enough to do a little research it's not really so bizarre.

The "bomber" was a lad from Plymouth with aspergers and a mental age of 10.

Muslim extremist scum took advantage and groomed him online.

So? My original point was that it was bizarre that it happened in Exeter. The fact it was a special needs person from Plymouth is irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope you don't mean the people of Exeter are really thick :confused:
    Forum Member
    nthorn wrote: »
    I hope you don't mean the people of Exeter are really thick :confused:

Not all of them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all of them :)
    Good :D
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes- threats have to be taken seriously..
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So? My original point was that it was bizarre that it happened in Exeter. The fact it was a special needs person from Plymouth is irrelevant.

Two RM bases nearby, an army barracks and capital of county. Nope nothing there at all.
    Forum Member
    Graathus wrote: »
    Two RM bases nearby, an army barracks and capital of county. Nope nothing there at all.

Despite all that, there really isn't anything here, lol. It's the backside of England. The people shuffle and shamble about and get on with their lives in McDonalds and Poundland. It's the most innocuous and docile place really.
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite all that, there really isn't anything here, lol. It's the backside of England. The people shuffle and shamble about and get on with their lives in McDonalds and Poundland. It's the most innocuous and docile place really.

So apart from 3 military bases, County Counci, City Council, regional Central government offices, major university and international airport there is nothing.

Right...
  • TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graathus wrote: »
    So apart from 3 military bases, County Counci, City Council, regional Central government offices, major university and international airport there is nothing.

Right...

Plus the newly built Met Office.

I just don't know how any of these places manage to function given that they are all run by really thick people.;)
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why the suicide bomb attack was so utterly bizarre, lol. I think Exeter is the only place outside London to have had someone attempt a suicide bomb attack.

Apart from Glasgow.

I assume you are talking only in terms of teh UK though, otherwise I could be here a while listing all the suicide bombing attacks that have taken place outside of London ;)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in Exeter back in the 80s. I can't think of a better place to evacuate than the bus station. What a dreary dump that was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having said that - Glasgow Airport was attacked by suicide bombers.

No doubt outraged at the cost of a bottle of Fanta from WH Smith.
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also written on that wall was

"Agnes take it up the gary glitter all are welcome"

poor Agnes:(
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I used to live in Exeter back in the 80s. I can't think of a better place to evacuate than the bus station. What a dreary dump that was.

I've lived in Exeter on and off for nearly 40 years and I know the city, and its history, like the back of my hand. The whole place is a dreary dump. There are pockets of true picturesque beauty, like the medieval charm of the Cathedral Close, the stupendous cathedral itself of course, the quay area and the stunning Georgian townhouses of Southernhay, but they really are a tiny proportion of what once existed 100 years ago and which has been willfully destroyed by the city council, planners and of course the Baedeker attack of May 1942. What was once the perfect English cathedral city is now a wasteland of post-war crap, rat runs and bypasses. A sad state for a city founded by the Romans and formerly one of the most important cities of the middle ages.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    I've lived in Exeter on and off for nearly 40 years and I know the city, and its history, like the back of my hand. The whole place is a dreary dump. There are pockets of true picturesque beauty, like the medieval charm of the Cathedral Close, the stupendous cathedral itself of course, the quay area and the stunning Georgian townhouses of Southernhay, but they really are a tiny proportion of what once existed 100 years ago and which has been willfully destroyed by the city council, planners and of course the Baedeker attack of May 1942. What was once the perfect English cathedral city is now a wasteland of post-war crap, rat runs and bypasses. A sad state for a city founded by the Romans and formerly one of the most important cities of the middle ages.

But the uni is one the prettiest in the country and in terms of rankings is one of the best in the country.
    Forum Member
    But the uni is one the prettiest in the country and in terms of rankings is one of the best in the country.

True. The campus is lovely and some of the buildings are terrific. It does have a reputation (or at least it used to) of being for Oxbidge rejects and the green welly brigade.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always used to like Rougement Gardens. Not many people used to go there for some reason.

I think I'll always have a soft spot for Exeter because that's where I spent my school years. I left just before they started rebuilding the centre and got serious with traffic congestion.

I can also claim to have attended Exeter College and since I now live just up the road from Oxford it sounds more impressive than it really is :)
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I left just before they started rebuilding the centre and got serious with traffic congestion.

And yet they still allow those stinking buses to trundle down the High St by the dozen.