Every finalist totally screwed up their duets tonight

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I cringed watching the duets tonight. Where was the raw talent of Leona and Take That? The sheer magic of Alex and Beyonce?

Instead we had:

Rebecca: Totally upstaged by Christina. She looked like a lost puppy and sounded completely unprepared and amateur.

Matt: Couldn't take his seedy eyes off Rihanna to pull out a decent performance. Very poor indeed.

Cher: Probably the best of the lot - she was actually better than Will.i.am and his lame 'singing' - it was him who let her down.

One Direction: FYI, Robbie, pulling that 'cheeky grin' may have fooled us ten years ago, but not now. Meanwhile, these kids continue to fail at any harmony or charisma.

Time for SyCo to start signing up bigger and/or better.

Comments

• RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,235
    Forum Member
    I completely disagree...I enjoyed all 4 performances.

yes Rebecca was a bit overwhelmed, yes Matt was eying Rihanna up (which straight male wasn't??) yes One Direction did little after Robbie arrived on stage, and William didn't sound great...it was great entertainment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Your thread title is a little misleading as Cher in no way screwed up her duet... as you eventually point out. Matt did ok (you're obviously not a fan). Robbie & 1D I enjoyed cos it was like singing with your mates down the pub and a light relief from the "tension" of the occasion. Rebecca was exposed as basically being good as opposed to absolutely brilliant as the judges keep trying to convince us.

Can't believe you favourably refer to the Alex and Beyonce duet where Alex lost it & uncontrollably blubbed only to be saved (well not quite) by the incredible input & presence of a real star.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I completely agree with the OP.

What an absolute shambles tonight was, especially when compared with previous years.
    Forum Member
    I completely agree with the OP.

What an absolute shambles tonight was, especially when compared with previous years.

which previous duets were any good??

Beyonce-Alexandra is a classic moment for the show
    Kylie briefly made Leon interesting
    Joe and George were ok last year.

but apart from that all i remember are bland duets by JLS and Westlife, Jason Donovan and Same Difference:eek:, Ryhdian and Katherine Jenkins not living up to the hype...

I felt this years were better on the whole than previous series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else see the coke up Robbie's nose?:eek:
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the duets were dire but the stars (and the producers) were equally to blame. You can't sing a duet unless you have equal status and the star rehearses it at length and let's you showcase what you can do. The 2 American female stars showed zero interest in anything other than themselves, I thought they both came across as mean and selfish performers. If they just wanted to appear to promote themselves this was not the show on which to do it. Matt and Rebecca are both the most talented singers but they were given stars who made them feel and look awkward and gave them nothing back. It wasn't like that say when the likes of Leon Jackson who is an inferior performer to Matt sang with Kylie because Kylie worked it for him to look good, not herself. Same with Alex and Beyonce.

Cher already knew Will.I.Am from her audition and she said she felt comfortable with him. I thought she outperformed him actually. 1 Direction with Robbie exposed all 6 of them as being unprofessional, looked like they had never thought for a nanosecond what they were supposed to be doing. In that sense it was less tense than the others because 1 Direction couldn't be any worse than they normally are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved matt and rihanna .. It was very sizzling and they sang it really well. I love that song as well so it was great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up on YouTube and I am shocked at the quality. Really poor. Nobody of the class or quality of a Beyonce or GM this year.
    Forum Member

Just different opinions on singing abilities, chemistry and performance I guess, because I think your last comment is positively preposterous!! :eek: Seriously edging on the same madness expressed by the judges when constantly telling Wand Erection how amazing, unique and special they are :D

It's just different opinions :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Anyone else see the coke up Robbie's nose?:eek:

I didn't see it but it wouldn't surprise me. He was bouncing at the end of the performance and his pupils were massive (but that could just have been the studio lighting).

---

All of the performances had a lot to be criticised.

Rebecca's was a disaster when Christina completely over powered her and made he look like a school child who has just been told off.

The so called "chemistry" in Matt's performance was all from Rihanna. Matt looked like an uncomfortable pervert and was clearly nervous, especially at the start.

One Directions was like a dad and his kids at a wedding karaoke contest.

Cher's was strange because she actually done better than the guest, and that's saying something!

The problem is that they put Matt and Rebecca with proper superstar performers so it makes everyone on the show look completely amateur.

It pains me saying this because I don't like Joe McElderry's music and voice much, but his performance in last years was better than any of these tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    Cher didn't at all.
  • outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    which previous duets were any good??

Beyonce-Alexandra is a classic moment for the show
    Kylie briefly made Leon interesting
    Joe and George were ok last year.

but apart from that all i remember are bland duets by JLS and Westlife, Jason Donovan and Same Difference:eek:, Ryhdian and Katherine Jenkins not living up to the hype...

beyonce gave Alex the win ..but she deserved it..but thry never sand together at all ..alex just had tears:D
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Your thread title is a little misleading as Cher in no way screwed up her duet... as you eventually point out. Matt did ok (you're obviously not a fan). Robbie & 1D I enjoyed cos it was like singing with your mates down the pub and a light relief from the "tension" of the occasion. Rebecca was exposed as basically being good as opposed to absolutely brilliant as the judges keep trying to convince us.

Can't believe you favourably refer to the Alex and Beyonce duet where Alex lost it & uncontrollably blubbed only to be saved (well not quite) by the incredible input & presence of a real star.

I've seen this a few times tonight and I don't get it. Alex didn't lose it at all really. She got very emotional when Beyonce first got on stage (and sang the part she was most likely going to sing solo anyway) but when the time came for her to actually sing, she did sing, and she sounded as good as she ever has.
  • outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    beyonce gave Alex the win ..but she deserved it..but thry never sand together at all ..alex just had tears:D

Great the duets ..but pleasse rate the singer
    Forum Member
    Just different opinions on singing abilities, chemistry and performance I guess, because I think your last comment is positively preposterous!! :eek: Seriously edging on the same madness expressed by the judges when constantly telling Wand Erection how amazing, unique and special they are :D

It's just different opinions :)

Other series have had better individual duets...but have also been lumbered with lazy and forgettable duets such as Westlife, Boyzone, Jason Donovan..which all looked like they had been booked the night before, and did nothing to help their finalists chances of winning.

at least this years looked like they had planned and booked all of the acts in advance.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    The problem with Rebeccas was partly that she was so nervous that she totally lost her way which made the situation with Christina worse.

That Cher had meet Will.i.am previously obviously worked to her advantage as she was more comfortable and less intimidated by performing with him.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Cher and One Direction were pretty good, held their own - Cher in particular.

Rebecca was great to begin with but then she was upstaged, she lost focus and forgot to actually sing once Christina turned up.

Matt was just awful though, completely out of tune, vocals all over the place and the performance was awkward - shame as Rihanna was brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree...I enjoyed all 4 performances.

yes Rebecca was a bit overwhelmed, yes Matt was eying Rihanna up (which straight male wasn't??) yes One Direction did little after Robbie arrived on stage, and William didn't sound great...it was great entertainment

I actually agree with this. Althought the producers really need to start using thier brains a bit more in terms of who the pairings are for the act to benefit and work well with rather than simply for the show and viewing figures.

They also need more time to rehearse with the person in question and gel, rather than a few hours on the actual day of the live show! Cher had the easiest of the night as she knew Will I Am and clearly felt comfortable duetting with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I actually thought the duet that worked best was ID/Robbie, i enjoyed it, they seemed to gel well together.
  • Rick_JRick_J Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I don't like Cher or her "type of music", I have to give it to her I thought her duet was the best. She looked totally at home and unfazed by performing with Will.I.Fancy.Cheryl and it looked like she was just stepping in for Fergie in the black eye peas!

Second for me was Matt and Rihanna which really had the sex factor/chemistry

Vocally I thought 1D and Robbie was ok but it was just ridiculous to watch, I remember Robbie from his young cheekie chappie days and now he looks like a grandad who has spent his life on hard drugs.

Rebecca - Christina was a total let down for me...I had high hopes of this being great performance but such a mismatch in volumes, missed vocals from Rebecca, no chemistry at all between them (those stupid steps didn't help), and it looked like they hadn't even practiced or met each other before -just embarrassing

Nothing tonight came remotely close to what I think as the defining, iconic and most powerful XF duet of all time which was Alexandra and Beyonce
    Forum Member
    Other series have had better individual duets...but have also been lumbered with lazy and forgettable duets such as Westlife, Boyzone, Jason Donovan..which all looked like they had been booked the night before, and did nothing to help their finalists chances of winning.

at least this years looked like they had planned and booked all of the acts in advance.

I agree, but like many have said before me, it's seems that that's all they did care about: Having huge names as guests, without giving any thought to how it will make the contestants look. Exempt Robbie from this analogy because he's just as recycled and boring as the examples you listed above, but the others (again, minus Cher because she did manage to hold her own/show will.i.am up even if she was just shouting) didn't look rehearsed enough or comfortable enough with their partners. Rebecca more so than Matt obviously, but even Matt looked scared out of his mind.

All of this points to what we've been saying for weeks now, it's not about the singing, the talent or the contestants at all any more, it's about entertainment, the egos of the judges, and most importantly...ratings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought the duet that worked best was ID/Robbie, i enjoyed it, they seemed to gel well together.

I think you might be right. It was the least awful.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the duets were good apart from Cher's. Both Cher and Will I am were crap.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the duets seemed very under rehearsed. Maybe they should book more modest artists next year - that way they could give up more of their time to actually come up with and practice a half decent performance.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Will.i.am and Cher looked like the only pair who had reherased at all. Matt/Rihanna was just kinda creepy.