Options

Aiden's departure - proof positive that the judge's vote failed this year

_elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
One of the main arguments I've heard from people defending the decision to send Aiden home in Week 6 was that he polled the lowest amount of votes and deserved to go home before Katie. So I looked at the actual percentages between them with great interest and this is what was revealed:

Week 1

Aiden 9.78%
Katie 1.55%

Week 2

Aiden 8.82 %
Katie 4.32%

Week 3

Aiden 6.58%
Katie 5.95%

Week 4

Aiden 6.70%
Katie 2.73%

Week 5

Aiden 5.85%
Katie 3.22%

Week 6

Aiden 5.01%
Katie 5.29%

As you can see, Katie was polling lower than Aiden EVERY week up until his departure, and even on that week she only beat him by a few 0. of a % (Although let's not kid ourselves; if she had gotten lower than him, Louis would have voted in a different way.)

The judge's vote, if used correctly, should have been there to prevent acts who had had one 'off' week from immediately going. These statistics clearly show that Aiden had had an off week: before Week 6, he'd been pretty much comfortable in the middle and then lower middle, but still rarely near the bottom 3. Most weeks, it wasn't even close between him and Katie; the only time there was one percent in it was Week 3 when Katie was given the pimp slot and Jungle Book song.

The judges have been MASSIVELY out of sync with public mood this year, and Aiden going when he did proves that. He clearly had at least one or two more weeks left to give. How Simon didn't recognise this (or want to recognise this) is beyond me. He absolutey let Aiden down and considering he originally named him as his prediction to win, I'm even more stunned by his attitude.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense, he was very awful and painful to watch.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grogdog wrote: »

That might be so, but he was still doing better than Katie and better than quite a few of the other contestants in every week up to his departure.

Look, I've posted a fairly constructive thread here using real statistics. It would be nice to generate some actual discussion beyond the usual 'He woz rubbish LOLZ' that permeate Aiden threads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,950
    Forum Member

No that was Katie :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,334
    Forum Member
    Aiden was brilliant, so fascinating to watch and there's definitely a niche out there for him!! It was terrible he went when he did, I was shocked and gutted that week!! I'll be looking out for him as I'm really hoping that's not the last we see of him!
  • Options
    SunnySunshineSunnySunshine Posts: 5,399
    Forum Member
    I stopped voting after Aiden went and I was very interested to see those percentages. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges have been MASSIVELY out of sync with public mood this year, and Aiden going when he did proves that.

Your post makes no sense.

Aiden 5.01%
    Katie 5.29%

He got the lowest percentage of public votes. He went. Good thing too before he murdered another classic song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had Aiden pulled more votes, he would not have been in the bottom two for the judges to pick from. No matter what you think of what was fair or not, the show is now and has always been about the judges deciding from the two lowest. Remember, that week it went to deadlock, so Aiden leaving was ultimately the public's decision!!!

Further to this, had Aiden stayed, he was only averaging overall 7% of the total votes cast, so wasn't even on the same ground as Matt, Mary or Rebecca's average vote pull. He would not have won.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with what you're saying, but fact is he got the least votes. I think had he stayed in and had they let Paije stay in over Cher we would have had a very different competition. I think the manipulation of the votes that Mr Cowell chose to do in a more obvious way this series led the way to a rubbish final.

Had Aiden consistantly polled nearer the top of the voting figures, they might have saved him. But Katie pulled more press to the show, and proved more valuable than a contestant who didn't pick up many votes or headlines.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the results also show was that Aiden lost support week on week so To be fair his leaving for me was fully justified.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Who cares anyway it's not like anyone really knows the contestants. it's a stupid little talent show
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - Kaii - wrote: »
    Who cares anyway it's not like anyone really knows the contestants. it's a stupid little talent show

Aiden supporters blame Katie for the Aiden injustice, unfortunately they seem to care way too much and anyone can twist facts, but I agree with you here.
  • Options
    GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Look, I've posted a fairly constructive thread here using real statistics. It would be nice to generate some actual discussion beyond the usual 'He woz rubbish LOLZ' that permeate Aiden threads.

Agreed, some people seem incapable of responding adequately to an opinion that differs from theirs.

Aiden was a victim of the publicity machine that is Katie Waissel, they wanted to keep in the person who guarantee ratings.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This...
    ardwark wrote: »
    Your post makes no sense.

Aiden 5.01%
    Katie 5.29%

He got the lowest percentage of public votes. He went. Good thing too before he murdered another classic song.
    And this...

He was an absolutely awful singer and sounded like a dying cat. I actually think Wagner was a better singer than him - I had to mute Aiden whenever he came on. The only shame was that he didn't leave earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the main arguments I've heard from people defending the decision to send Aiden home in Week 6 was that he polled the lowest amount of votes and deserved to go home before Katie. So I looked at the actual percentages between them with great interest and this is what was revealed:

Week 1

Aiden 9.78%
    Katie 1.55%

Week 2

Aiden 8.82 %
    Katie 4.32%

Week 3

Aiden 6.58%
    Katie 5.95%

Week 4

Aiden 6.70%
    Katie 2.73%

Week 5

Aiden 5.85%
    Katie 3.22%

Week 6

Aiden 5.01%
    Katie 5.29%

As you can see, Katie was polling lower than Aiden EVERY week up until his departure, and even on that week she only beat him by a few 0. of a % (Although let's not kid ourselves; if she had gotten lower than him, Louis would have voted in a different way.)

The judge's vote, if used correctly, should have been there to prevent acts who had had one 'off' week from immediately going. These statistics clearly show that Aiden had had an off week: before Week 6, he'd been pretty much comfortable in the middle and then lower middle, but still rarely near the bottom 3. Most weeks, it wasn't even close between him and Katie; the only time there was one percent in it was Week 3 when Katie was given the pimp slot and Jungle Book song.

The judges have been MASSIVELY out of sync with public mood this year, and Aiden going when he did proves that. He clearly had at least one or two more weeks left to give. How Simon didn't recognise this (or want to recognise this) is beyond me. He absolutey let Aiden down and considering he originally named him as his prediction to win, I'm even more stunned by his attitude.

I was a fan of TreyC who also polled more than Katie the week when she went home.

The facts are that neither Aiden or Treyc for that matter were getting enough votes so debating whether an act left a week early is pretty irrelevant at this stage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the drama leading up to the final left me exhausted and I really didn't give a sh*t who won to be honest, that's why xfactor is going to pot. I keep harping on about alexs year but that was the year that was most 'magical' for me.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Week 1

Aiden 9.78%
    Katie 1.55%

Week 2

Aiden 8.82 %
    Katie 4.32%

Week 3

Aiden 6.58%
    Katie 5.95%

Week 4

Aiden 6.70%
    Katie 2.73%

Week 5

Aiden 5.85%
    Katie 3.22%

Week 6

Aiden 5.01%
    Katie 5.29%

The only thing any of this proves is that you don't seem to understand the purpose of the judges vote.

Iain
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people forgetting that it was the PUBLIC that effectively voted Aiden out?

He went out as a result of a deadlock situation.

Aiden went because of complacency, as nobody thought he'd ever be in trouble at such an early & probably didn't think they needed to voted too heavily for him as others would do so.

I believe that as we saw with Wand Erection, any act that relies predominantly teenage girls for votes, can only go so far as they have to rely on others to pay their phone bills, whereas an act like Matt tends to be voted for by those who pay their own phone bills.

Well, that's my theory & I'm sticking to it:p
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget Katie...fact is as the number of contestants went down so did his percentage of the vote ..in other words he was not "gaining" in any popularity...quite the reverse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotham wrote: »
    Agreed, some people seem incapable of responding adequately to an opinion that differs from theirs.

Aiden was a victim of the publicity machine that is Katie Waissel, they wanted to keep in the person who guarantee ratings.

This!
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the sing off was used correctly:

Aiden should have been saved over Katie who had consistently polled lower votes and been in the bottom 2 twice before.

They should have sent Paije vs Cher to deadlock - both competent sing off performances, both first time in bottom 2.

They should have sent Mary vs Cher to deadlock - both competent sing off performances, both first time in bottom 2. In fact, there shouldn't even have been a sing off at ALL that week.

There isn't a problem with the principle of the sing off. There is a problem in the fact that the judges have abused the privilege.
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »

Aiden should have been saved over Katie who had consistently polled lower votes and been in the bottom 2 twice before.

They should have sent Paije vs Cher to deadlock - both competent sing off performances, both first time in bottom 2.

They should have sent Mary vs Cher to deadlock - both competent sing off performances, both first time in bottom 2. In fact, there shouldn't even have been a sing off at ALL that week.

There isn't a problem with the principle of the sing off. There is a problem in the fact that the judges have abused the privilege.

Other than Aiden, I think the judges saved the person with the lowest votes every week.

I was a bit disappointed with the judges this year to be honest. Cher and Katie definitely outstayed their welcome while the likes of Paije and Aiden were only on the bottom 2 once.

Not that it mattrs though of course, Matt was always going to win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the judges liked Cher's sing-off better, then they voted for her. Simple as that. There's no rules that say, "If Unigal thought both singoffs are the same, then the judges should send to deadlock." They both sang, the judges were more impressed with Cher, they chose to save her. Besides, it's not like Paije's career is going anywhere after this show, and Cher will do better than Mary in the market, if only going by the buzz she's getting from A-list industry stars.

As for Aiden...he butchered the Crowded House in his singoff. It was goddawful. They didn't even need to send him to deadlock...they should have just sent him straight because of that.

For all his fans...if he looked like Storm Lee, would you still be such ardent fans? Probably not. He was a good looking kid and was getting votes because of that, not his actual abilities (apologies to Storm Lee, who was 10x the singer Aiden was).
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    If the judges liked Cher's sing-off better, then they voted for her. Simple as that. There's no rules that say, "If Unigal thought both singoffs are the same, then the judges should send to deadlock." They both sang, the judges were more impressed with Cher, they chose to save her. Besides, it's not like Paije's career is going anywhere after this show, and Cher will do better than Mary in the market, if only going by the buzz she's getting from A-list industry stars.

As for Aiden...he butchered the Crowded House in his singoff. It was goddawful. They didn't even need to send him to deadlock...they should have just sent him straight because of that.

For all his fans...if he looked like Storm Lee, would you still be such ardent fans? Probably not. He was a good looking kid and was getting votes because of that, not his actual abilities (apologies to Storm Lee, who was 10x the singer Aiden was).

Excuse me, I wasn't suggesting that what I think has to be what they do at all.

I was saying that logic suggests that you send home the person who's been in the bottom 2 the most (LISTEN TO THE PUBLIC as Simon has preached for years and years), and if both sing offs are good, send it to deadlock. It's the fair thing to do.

As for the buzz about Cher, I'd be surprised if it continues now that the XF is over. Everyone has an opinion on XF while its on but then it gets forgotten about. She's got a lot of work to do, and considering she is so disliked by so many people, it will be a struggle for her regardless of who wants to work with her.

So you're one of these amazing FMs with psychic powers. I agree that Paije may not have as good a chance at success as Cher, but if that's the case, Cher wouldn't have lost out by being eliminated. Paije would have really benefitted considering he got slated needlessly most weeks by Simon.
    As for Mary, she got over 10% of the votes in pretty much every week she performed, and was close to Matt and even above him in week 1. I think she'd surprise you. I mean Susan Boyle is doing alright for herself.

A chart full of all the same generic crap is my worst nightmare and why I hate the charts anyway. Matt, Mary, Paije, Aiden, Cher, Rebecca, 1D are all very different. Suggesting that Cher deserves success the most when the public really didn't like her (only 6% of the vote when it was final 4 despite her putting in arguably her best performance) and the charts are already saturated with her type of crap is just stupid. No offence :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Simon didn't save Aiden, especially considering that he thought at the bootcamp stages that Aiden would WIN.

Ridiculous getting rid of a genuine talent like that just to keep tabloid fodder Katie in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me, I wasn't suggesting that what I think has to be what they do at all.

I was saying that logic suggests that you send home the person who's been in the bottom 2 the most (LISTEN TO THE PUBLIC as Simon has preached for years and years), and if both sing offs are good, send it to deadlock. It's the fair thing to do.

As for the buzz about Cher, I'd be surprised if it continues now that the XF is over. Everyone has an opinion on XF while its on but then it gets forgotten about. She's got a lot of work to do, and considering she is so disliked by so many people, it will be a struggle for her regardless of who wants to work with her.

So you're one of these amazing FMs with psychic powers. I agree that Paije may not have as good a chance at success as Cher, but if that's the case, Cher wouldn't have lost out by being eliminated. Paije would have really benefitted considering he got slated needlessly most weeks by Simon.
    As for Mary, she got over 10% of the votes in pretty much every week she performed, and was close to Matt and even above him in week 1. I think she'd surprise you. I mean Susan Boyle is doing alright for herself.

A chart full of all the same generic crap is my worst nightmare and why I hate the charts anyway. Matt, Mary, Paije, Aiden, Cher, Rebecca, 1D are all very different. Suggesting that Cher deserves success the most when the public really didn't like her (only 6% of the vote when it was final 4 despite her putting in arguably her best performance) and the charts are already saturated with her type of crap is just stupid. No offence :)

That's just it...to your ears, the singoffs involving Cher were comparable. Who's to say the judges didn't prefer Cher? It's not like she messed up her singoffs. They were actually quite good. The only instance where I was scratching my head was voting Katie over Treyc. Katie's sing off that week was a hot mess, Treyc's was beautifully sung.

And you don't need psychic powers to see what's in front of you. Industry bigwigs have their eyes on Cher. No one's talking about Paige. And the only similarity between Mary and Subo is their build. Susan has a much, much better voice and a more heartwarming story. And as evidenced by a gaggle of previous X-Factor/American Idol winners...voting patterns does not translate to sales. You need the right backing...and right now, Cher has it. Is this guaranteed success? No...but she's got an awfully good shot because there seems to be people that are willing to market her. She'll do well with the music that's charting in the USA right now.

For your bolded statement, the reality is that tried and proven formulas work...hence "popular music". If it was 1998, my bet would be on 1D for the greatest success, but the boyband thing in the USA is kind of done. Cher fits in better with what's popular now.

Curiously, if you hate the music on the charts, why do you like X-Factor? Not in a judging way, but it just seems as if X-Factor would be a living nightmare for someone who doesn't like pop music :confused: