Options

One Direction record deal signed. Working with Steve Mac (JLS)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/12/13/x-factors-one-direction-sign-1m-deal/

X Factor star Liam Payne and his bandmates from One Direction today signed a lucrative £1 million contract with Simon Cowell.

Despite believing in all of his new acts, Cowell is particularly backing One Direction, saying they could make it big in America.

Producer Steve Mac, who is known as “Mr X Factor” in the music industry, has already shaped the careers of former contestants Leona Lewis and JLS and is tipped to help propel Liam into the charts.

Comments

• Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, I'm pleased for them. Not bad for third place.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were whispers about this already. I think they will do extremely well. I can see a few acts doing well next year including Rebecca.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I would love it to be true , that doesn't look like a confirmed deal but more of a Daily Fail non story
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Even if it's not true, it won't be long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite believing in all of his new acts, Cowell is particularly backing One Direction, saying they could make it big in America.

aaaaaahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    While I would love it to be true , that doesn't look like a confirmed deal but more of a Daily Fail non story

It's not a "Daily Fail" (Daily Mail) article.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honolulula wrote: »
    aaaaaahahahahahahahaha

Speaking as an American, there is a huge hole in the market for a new boy band. Look at the insane success of Justin Bieber. He hit it big because before him there wasn't a male teen artist on the market.

So I believe the market for them IS there - it will all depend on what kind of music they put out and how they'll be marketed. And if Simon wants to to break in the US, he'll probably feature them on the US X-Factor next fall.
  • Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Good luck to them.

As much as I like them, it is only Liam and Harry that can sing.

Don't think I've heard Louis sing or Niall, as for Zayne, he's very weak and awful.
  • Options
    CaudlehalbardCaudlehalbard Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, good luck to them - if this is true.

I suspect it is - they looked very chirpy on Xtra factor.

But they may have to ditch one or two passengers for long term success. Niall and Louis for the chop, maybe. But the problem is they can't do it immediately otherwise it will be seen as an epic fail. Quite a dilemma!
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is good news on two counts.

It's good for 1D and their fans (obviously)

It's also good because hopefully it will mean Matt will get to work with a less formulaic producer :)
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to them, but bring out some okay material please. Unlike JL ****ing S.

Plus he does say that loads of acts could break america (JLS, Alexandra Burke, Rebecca a few weeks ago, 1D) It gets a bit boring. When everyone knows that Americans hate british and most worldwide countries in terms of music. They say its the accents, but have you heard Miley Cyrus speak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Good luck to them, JLS have set the bar regarding boybands. Anything is possible with the right team!
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to them, but bring out some okay material please. Unlike JL ****ing S.

Plus he does say that loads of acts could break america (JLS, Alexandra Burke, Rebecca a few weeks ago, 1D) It gets a bit boring. When everyone knows that Americans hate british and most worldwide countries in terms of music. They say its the accents, but have you heard Miley Cyrus speak.

I imagine Miley Cyrus sounds to Americans a bit like Olly Murs does to us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah...us Americans TOTALLY hate you Brits. :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Cute boys with British accents? The little girlies will SCREAM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who thinks that One Direction is an awful name for a boyband?
  • Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    What concerns me is how they'll meet each other?

Like, remember, they all live in different places. Niall is in Ireland.

How would they work that out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    madlh100 wrote: »

I thought that. They're a bit young, but maybe they'll move in together...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that One Direction is an awful name for a boyband?

I agree :D I love them, but bad name :p

I don't like that article, Liam's not the only one in the band!
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madlh100 wrote: »

Like most boy bands McFly, Wanted they will start off in a shared flat/house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll probably be living out of hotel rooms for the next 6 - 9 months while they're on tour and recording their album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snuffles22 wrote: »
    Speaking as an American, there is a huge hole in the market for a new boy band. Look at the insane success of Justin Bieber. He hit it big because before him there wasn't a male teen artist on the market.

So I believe the market for them IS there - it will all depend on what kind of music they put out and how they'll be marketed. And if Simon wants to to break in the US, he'll probably feature them on the US X-Factor next fall.

Also speaking as an American, I don't think 1D has a chance in the USA. Boybands are past their sell-by date here, unless it's New Kids on the the Block or Backstreet Boys if only for sentimental reasons. There hasn't been a massively famous boyband here since NSync disbanded, and to be honest, they haven't really been missed.

Justin Bieber is, in my eyes, an anomoly. I don't necessarily think he can be recreated anytime soon in the USA. Very strange phenomena that one is...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When everyone knows that Americans hate british and most worldwide countries in terms of music. They say its the accents, but have you heard Miley Cyrus speak.

Americans have always LOVED British music: punk rock, new wave, and pop exports have fared pretty well...at least in the major markets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RE: Article focus on Liam

I think it's because they talked to his family and they were the ones quoted

RE: Will they make it in America

Boy bands in or out? Trends ALWAYS come back around at some point Boy bands have been around since the 1950s. They will always come in and out of fashion but they will never truly die (as much as you wish they would) ;)

It's been almost a decade since N Sync was last riding high. Might be time for a new group.
  • Options
    SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a crazy comment that I think is way off the mark. I actually think there is a natural inclination to like British artist by Americans....But obviously not just any musician (and the right mix is probably hard to predict at times). Also, British and Australian accents are always popular with Americans. (at least certainly more than not).

JLS/ A Burke - (Don't really see it based on the music I've heard)
    Cher- (probably a good chance based on her type of music, but not quite as much of a guarantee as people think- but very likely)
    Rebecca- (could see her having similar, maybe not quite as big, success as Leona. She has a good persona for US as well).
    Matt- (Although not a 100% guaranteed "Star", He will probably would do well in US- Bruno Mars, etc type of radio songs. Matt's voice & selling records will be his key, as I don't see the US being fanatical over Matt as a persona- not bad, just probably won't be his ace card.)

1Direction- (Could be Huge). The perfect image with the sort of "All American" feel. They have the sort of good looking, preppy, good guy angle, yet still a little mischievous. Even Vocally I think Liam & Harry have vocals that appeal to US. They could roll over Bieber (with the public- JB is tied in tighly with the "music world") if they play it right. They need to make sure they have less "Boy Band" feel. And more of a wierd mix of (Beetles, Jonas Brothers, One Republic). It would certainly be a mistake to try and follow the Bieber plan of the past 3 years- which i think has peaked. They need to get ahead of his curve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I read an article where Louis (Tomlinson) said the style of music they want to do is in the vein of One Republic and Kelly Clarkson.

So - pop rock

ETA: I agree about JLS. I feel like they were too old for the teen demographic and not "urban" enough for the African-American demographic.

And with Alexandra - when you have gorgeous pop/R&B divas like Beyonce, Rihanna and Keri Hilson, who needs Alexandra?