Hyundai replacement key cost

PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
Forum Member
✭✭
Good afternoon, folks!

Appear to have lost a key for a Hyundai i10. I have a spare. Any idea roughly (I don't know whether I'm looking at £10 or £1000) how much an additional key might cost? It's a normal key, no electronic transmitter or whatnot.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was all I could find for you, which seems to be saying ~£65-£100 back in 2002, not great but it might give you some idea.. although this seems to relate to the remote key so presumably less if you don't need the remote version.

Link:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=3896

To:
    Citroen spare key - Tony Coote
    I have just purchased as a second car a 1998 Saxo 1.1 SX. The previous owner only had one key and the car is fitted with an immobiliser. I have the key number, so i am able to purchase another key from Citroen. However, I am told it then has to be reprogrammed which can only be done by Citroen, cost for a spare key in total £100+VAT. I know i will have to buy the key from Citroen but does anyone know if the it is only the dealer who can programme the key, or can i do it myself, or is there an independent who can do it for me.
    Reply to this message | Report message as offensive | Link
    Wed 6 Feb 2002 10:25 Re: Citroen spare key - Ian Cook
    Tony

Is it the immobiliser type that is activated by the remote (i.e. not the keypad type)?

If so I am assuming that Citroen use the same system on the Saxo as they do for tha Xantia - in which case, you can't programme it yourself. You need to take the existing key/remote to a Citroen dealer and they do the job in about an hour. Cost seems about right. It cost me £65 for a replacement remote (using existing key).

Sorry I can't be of more help - the message to us all is that key replacement is now very expensive!

Ian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it has a transponder in it then it will depend if you have the master key or any other key I would imagine. I would think around the 100 quid mark to have to key cut and programmed from a dealer. You could try phone independants if they can deal with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    My Hyundai Accent key cost me £85 four weeks ago

It does depend on the type of key, while yours may not have a transmitter or whatnot it may still have to be programmed.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Good afternoon, folks!

Appear to have lost a key for a Hyundai i10. I have a spare. Any idea roughly (I don't know whether I'm looking at £10 or £1000) how much an additional key might cost? It's a normal key, no electronic transmitter or whatnot.

If it doesn't have buttons on it for remote locking/unlocking then you may be able to get one done at a car accessory shop that has key cutting facilities, providing their machine can recognise the chip in the key. These usually cost between £15 to £20.

A key from a dealer can cost just about anything, my son's Astra was £85 including recoding.
    You would need to ring the dealer.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks folks, I appreciate all of the help! :D Will look into the sugestions given. Not pleased with the idea of it potentially being £60-100, but also slightly relieved that it's not more...

Going to check a car accessory shop first, though. Is this something that's done on the level, or is it more like sneaking around a market stall and getting a phone cracked ten years ago?
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local accessory shop do keys for customers of mine, their machine will make a key if the machine will recognise the chip.
    It's all above board and legal.
    The shop you go to must have the proper machine.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great, thank you! :D Will investigate and see if there's anywhere around with the correct equipment. Is there any risk to the key they're copying from?

Sorry for the questions. I know this must seem awfully immature, but it's my first new car and my first lost key.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Great, thank you! :D Will investigate and see if there's anywhere around with the correct equipment. Is there any risk to the key they're copying from?

No risk unless they accidently swap the blank and the orginal around, lol
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 6,885
    Forum Member
    I recently bought a used Hyundai Getz for my son which only had one key. The replacement spare cost me £200 but it was one that had remote locking so needed programming. I hope yours isn't as ridiculously expensive.