Global io-link - cant tune TV to find SKY

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
Forum Member
Hi Folks

A relative has just got a brand new wi-fi style 2TB HD box from sky.
His old set up was sky+ box downstairs with a 2nd TV upstairs connected to the RF2 port using a magic eye to control it.
The old set up worked fine with no issues.
He has just bought an io-link and I have just tried in vain to get it working.
Things done and tried so far.
1. io link installed and RF2 output on sky menu turned on.
2. The red led on the magic eye upstairs is on.
3. freeview on upstairs TV works fine on digital tuner
4. Problem is i cant seem to tune the TV to find the sky signal.
5. The TV is definitely on analogue tuning.
6. I have changed the sky rf2 output channel number a few times and tried re-tuning to no avail.
7. I have tried moving the tv downstairs on a short length of coax with no magic eye and still the TV wont find the sky signal.

any ideas anyone ?
my next course of action was to try another tv or perhaps the io link could be faulty
thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    It does sound like you've tried all the obvious things.
    Does the magic eye still control the box OK?
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    no - the magic eye does not work now either
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im assuming the downstairs TV as an analogue tuner, try putting an rf lead into the rf2 feed from the box and try tuning in the TV that way, if its ok, then the link is faulty. Is the RF2 power switched on? services 0,0 select (the screen will not change until you do hit select)
    Forum Member
    The RF2 power must be OK or the red light on the magic eye box would not light.
    Sounds like the IO link add-on box isn't putting out any modulated signal, although it is looping through the signal from the aerial.
    I have no experience of these units, but I would have thought that it should just work!
    Maybe it is actually faulty.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    teletv wrote: »
    Im assuming the downstairs TV as an analogue tuner

As there's only ONE obscure TV (from Argos) that doesn't, it's pretty well guaranteed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Have now tried another old analogue only TV that I set up at my house on a specific channel number that I then set the new Sky HD wi-fi box RF2 output channel to as well.
    Just for good measure I also used a different short co-ax cable
    direct into the port on the io link.

Still nothing, so have just phoned Sky and have now packaged it up ready to send back tomorrow for a replacement.

I'll post an update in due course when the replacement unit arrives.

thanks for your help
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    I too am having difficulty finding sky channel on second tv in dining room via the IO link with my new Sky+HD box.

I have followed all the instructions which came with the "link" and set up the main TV re RF output and switched it on. I had to change the rf output channel to 47 as the default picked up nothing.

Second tv shows 22 channels detected on rf47 but I can't find them. Any ideas please.

Like everyone I am disgusted with the lack of empathy from Sky. I spent ages on the Live Help Chat to no avail. The new products should not have less functionality than the old ones. A ploy to get us all to subscribe to Multiroom I suspect. as if the monthly subscriptions aren't high enough.>:(
    Forum Member
    jos wrote: »
    Second tv shows 22 channels detected on rf47 but I can't find them. Any ideas please.
    If your TV is finding 22 channels on UHF channel 47, that channel is carrying a Freeview multiplex, and you certainly shouldn't have your Sky modulator set to that channel, or anywhere near it!
    Try a low channel number on the modulator, as that will carry best and if you have a Freeview transmission on 47 the lower channels are probably clear. Try say channel 25.
    The default channel on Sky box modulators is about as high as it can be, and in my experience doesn't perform very well. Lower channel frequencies are better if you can use them.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reply and the info'.
    I have tried all the channels listed on the IO link instructions and they all came up with 0 channels detected.

I'll have another go later. I have to fiddle about when husband and son aren't watching the main TV.

Just a thought, maybe I should try it with the aerial cable disconnected from the IO link to eliminate freeview.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried all the channels listed on the IO link instructions and they all came up with 0 channels detected.

I'll have another go later. I have to fiddle about when husband and son aren't watching the main TV.

Just a thought, maybe I should try it with the aerial cable disconnected from the IO link to eliminate freeview.

are you trying to tune an analogue rf output in on a digital freeview receiver? try switching to analogue on the TV your trying to tune!
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    are you trying to tune an analogue rf output in on a digital freeview receiver? try switching to analogue on the TV your trying to tune!
    Good thought!
    That seems so obvious, but you never know.
    :D
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Definitely.
    Forum Member
    Thought I had done that but maybe I didn't do it properly.The set up menu on 2nd tv is a bit complicated.

Wish the rest of the household would go out and then I can try again !!

Thanks for all the help.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to look on this website, http://www.ukfree.tv/closedown.php, and find the transmitter you are using, and make sure you have not set the output channel to one that is used for transmitting Freeview.

You want to use the lowest output number you can as this gives a better picture.

I had this issue when I set mine up, it was trial and error to find the correct output channel t0 get a decent picture that wasn't affected by, or affect the Freeview signals. I eventually found 22 was best. (Although this is from the Bilsdale Transmitter, so it probably will be different for you).
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it says 0 channels detected, then it is scanning for DIGITAL channels.

You need to scan for analogue channels. As there will only be ONE analogue signal on each UHF channel, the tv will either show a picture, or it won't. It won't tell you the number of channels it has found because that will only ever be 1 on analogue.
    Forum Member
    Many many thanks for all your help.

Finally got to have a fiddle and success I have a watchable (not perfect) picture from channel 21.

You were all quite correct I did not tune to analogue the first time around even though I knew it should be analogue.

My main problem was the 2nd tv finding my way around the complicated settings menu and the analogue channels are not where they used to be above channel 1 on the DTV list. I now have to go to channel list button and scroll down.

But hey I'm thrilled to bits and can't thank you all enough for your hints, tips and assistance.:):):):):)

By the way I'm on Emily Moor transmission.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you got it sorted.

You may be able to get a better picture on another channel, Emley Moor transmits on channels 32 and over, so at some point if you wish you could try the channels up to ch31 to see if they give a better picture.
    Forum Member
    I've gone downwards from 29 and 21 is the best so far.

May try again at some later date but it's good enough for now.

Thanks to all again.
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all again.
    The lower the channel the better in my experience, and 21 is as low as you can go!
    Glad you got it sorted.
    BTW when you say that it's not "perfect" what do you mean?
    It will never be as good as a direct video connection of any description, but should be perfectly watchable as long as the UHF connection is good. Is it noisy? If so check the connections. The plugs should be soldered ideally. Is it a direct UHF cable connection between the modulator and the remote TV, or is there something else in the path like a splitter?
    Forum Member
    When I say it isn't perfect it's ok, a bit like the US programme I'm watching on freeview upstairs, but it is not as sharp as it was through the old Sky Box.

It goes through a powered signal booster splitter.

As you say 21 is the lowest to go so I will stick with this.

I'm just really annoyed, like many others, that the new "improved" equipment with wifi and On Demand doesn't perform as well the old when it comes to the basics.
    The Sky forums are full of dissatisfied customers regarding these new boxes.

It's a good job you guys are there to lend a helping hand to those of us who thankfully don't have to mess with our set ups every day.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks to all again.

Have you tried tuning it in on the main TV, with a short cable, see if the picture is better?

If it is, then it will be the wiring, if not, then the wiring is ok.