Options

Bad weather approaching

Comments

• Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had pretty bad weather for about a week where I live. Had one extremely bad day last week, think today is gonna be more of the same. Hope the wind eases in time for Santa going on his epic journey tomorrow night - not sure the reindeer will like flying in this weather too much! :D
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Since you are persisting with this, how about telling us your location? Perhaps somebody will be able to account for your obvious disappointment at being excluded by the storm.

I'm not persisting with anything. I'm replying to your posts on here.

And who said I was disappointed? :confused:
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, you seem a bit cross about something. As I understand it (and there are others here who pay closer attention to forecasts), the Met Office's amber wind warming included all those areas at risk from damaging winds subject to small variations in the storm's predicted track. In the event, it followed the most likely forecast track quite closely, so some of those areas will not have been badly affected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do not persist! I insist!

I just got drenched just answering the door.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a danger at the coast, with these conditions
    Don't get too close. This man died.
    Video shot by James Reynolds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbKZC4knzbM
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Stagnant? I presume you or they meant standing?

the BBC guy,,,it cracked me up
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not happy. This was said to completely miss us, but we are taking an absolute battering here in West Yorkshire right now.

We are not strangers to heavy wind up here, but I'm actually fearing for my roof right now.

Does anyone know if it shifted from its original course?
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a danger at the coast, with these conditions
    Don't get too close. This man died.
    Video shot by James Reynolds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbKZC4knzbM

Oh dramatic video. It shows the dangers very well.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the many weather models used by meteorological agencies such as the Met Office, NOAA and JMA to name three.

Well how come the met office are forcasting conditions for friday that are not as bad as for tuesday?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My electricity just cut out for a split second. :(
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    Anyone prepared for this?
    Never mind it approaching, as it's been here for days, thunder, lightning, very strong winds, stronger gusts, some outside damage, and heard that we're getting more of same. :p Rain I don't mind that much, if it goes away for a day or two, but today clouds were very overcast and menacing, and wind's picked up, booming through the roof, and all one can do is hope for better times. Oh yeah,it's chilly too, but that's a minor detail.

No sign of snow, and I bet we get more rain and wind for Christmas day, when I had plans for going out too. -sigh-
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    No. It's not coming here, limited to the South which is disappointing as I bought a pedalo

But rest of UK, have fun.
    (Weather thread number 5000000 today)
    South as in South East where we are, and very exciting.. not. A pedalo on the high waves would be fun though, if one was brave enough that is. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    It's REALLY windy in Hampshire right now, haven't gone out yet but will have to soon. I'll avoid my tree lined riverpath, I think :D Bit nervously eyeing the really tall tress close to my house, one of which will for certain ruin our Christmas should it fall, although they do have some protection from the wind, so fingers crossed. To be fair I always eye those trees nervously, so no change there :D
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to bad where i am in the NthEast (Houghton-le-Spring), bit windy, but not that strong, and raining.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Im sorry, but statements like this annoy me.

For my area, the storm was every bit as severe as predicted. Huge trees down, damage to property etc.

Consider yourself very lucky that it didnt track to your area.
    I remember the David Lloyd tennis club, which had one of those fixed tent-style roofs, blowing away lol. It was a terrible storm, devastated a lot of areas. At least 22 people were killed in England and France,.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right now here in Bath it's very windy indeed, and the rain is literally bucketing it down. It's going to be fun driving to Asda at midnight tonight :D

By bucketing I mean it's as if somebody is chucking buckets of water down rather than mere raindrops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winds picking up here now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit breezy here but the rain is lashing down.
  • Options
    cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Pretty rough here on Cambrian coast, we've had awful thunder, hail and even a tornado over the last couple of days, drove back from Midlands through snow last night and today its been lashing down and the town of Dolgellau has a flood warning on it. Glad I dont have to go out today
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this storm Emily?
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    Really windy here in Essex :o I hate the wind tho :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Rain lashing on the leaking windows with high winds.

Can barely hear the telly

My room is shaking as well

Was woken up by a loud thunder crash yesterday at 6am, sounded like an explosion.

Not relaxing at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blowing a bloody gale here now
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Not where I live.

We were forecast huge storms like we did back in the 80's....my hairdryer blows harder than the wind that day!
    But that's my point. It WAS tracked to my area but never materialised.

If you mean the October 28th storm this year, you can see how windy it was near you, here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/2013-octwind

Speeds are displayed in knots, so add 10 at the top end, to get to mph. The strongest winds were IIRC to the south of the track, and it developed later than expected so in the south west, winds were less strong than forecast.

Your hairdryer is likely to push air out at between 30mph and 40 mph if it's a powerful one. I can blow air from between my lips faster than that but not as fast as the storm. ;)
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I,m in Watford (south east) and hardly anything here. I've just come back from a pleasant walk (needed the brolly up once) and it is nice and mild. I cycled into work and no problems at all. Perhaps it is not hitting the south after all. I'm not compaining though!