The Spice Girls

rayoflight110rayoflight110 Posts: 45
Forum Member
Do they have a place in music history?
All be it, a minor place?

Comments

• PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Well they sold millions of records and are the most successful all female group ever so i guess they do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I thought Destiny's Child has sold more records/CDs.
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    well, the mos successful uk group anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JRS01 wrote:
    I thought Destiny's Child has sold more records/CDs.

Actually, TLC had (i think)
  • rayoflight110rayoflight110 Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    nah, spice girls have sold more records than destiny's child or TLC.
    TLC were an amazing girl group, I loved every one of their songs.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member

RIP Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopez. :cry:

I was gutted when she died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member

I know its Wikipedia but they claim DC have sold more than Spice Girls and there are 3 sources that back it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they have a major place in history...they made fab music in the 90's!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred The Supremes myself ...
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote:
    Well they sold millions of records and are the most successful all female group ever so i guess they do.

Pity it was all totally manufactured and they were too hyped up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were incredibly popular in the States and sold a truckload of records.
    What more do you want for a few chavs from the U.K??
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly I think the Spice Girls will be remembered in music history. They were one of the most successful all-girl groups of the 90s.

Shame the music was crap though!
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Sadly I think the Spice Girls will be remembered in music history. They were one of the most successful all-girl groups of the 90s.

Shame the music was crap though!

Rather them than Girls Aloud. Although, I am a guilty fan of the Spice Girls :o It was my era.
  • DillholeMcGintyDillholeMcGinty Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Yhey have gone a long way with so very little talent, a triumph of hype and marketing.

They deserve thier place if only to illustrate that you dont have to be musically good to make the big bucks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I thought they were dumb simple fun, I was a big fan of theres when they first came out. Got bored of them around the same time most did, when they tried going RnB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they had their time. They got away with it in the 90s but once they tried to go all 'grown-up' by releasing Holler it just didn't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eva Leigh wrote: »
    Rather them than Girls Aloud. Although, I am a guilty fan of the Spice Girls :o It was my era.

True. I can't stand Girls Aloud - utterly charmless! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Of course they will always have a place in music history! the proof is that they still make headlines and there is a lot of interest in a possible reunion... I remember that in 2005 when they were in talks for a reunion concert at Live8 the world went crazy...the news was EVERYWHERE!

And yes they were iconic, they really made an impact not only with huge record sales but also with their image their ideas (Girl Power)...
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they have a place in music history?
    All be it, a minor place?

No. A couple of them were definitely "lookers" but as for talent they were a below average group. Thanks to the teen audience, they became huge for a brief time. And we all know through personal past experiences that teens lack taste in pretty much everything. :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends whether you were 12 at the time or not.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in my early teens when they became big and I never liked them at all. Thought they were talentless and their songs average. They just had a very good PR machine behind them.

I actually prefer the music of Girls Aloud:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rite, I was like 6/7 when they were at their most popular and I loved them, had everything of theirs, cassettes, videos, books etc... but now obv, I can't listen to their music, it just drives me mad but they will have a place in history, being the biggest girl band and oblivious to if people think they could or could not sing they were a perfect example of PR and therefore they were big! They are all still in the headlines to this day and there are not many pop singers from broken bands from the 90's who can say they are still spoken about.
  • wrigleyswrigleys Posts: 2,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yhey have gone a long way with so very little talent, a triumph of hype and marketing.

They deserve thier place if only to illustrate that you dont have to be musically good to make the big bucks.

What must be remembered is thAT they made thousands, millions even, of young people happy, not to mention a lot of mums, dads, nans and grandads....so don't knock them. Its all about entertainment and that's what they did..entertain. Who determines talent anyway, its all a matter of what you like, what I like, what they like - if you see what I mean. Just like art, antiques etc, no two tastes are the same, rarely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were iconic back in the day :o
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iconic my arse!