Options

Next Labour Leader?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
Forum Member
Assuming Brown fights on till the next election and loses, he would probably go.

Who would you like to see as his replacement?

Comments

• Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it won't be Ed Balls, Jaccquie Smith, Ed Milliband, James Parnell, John Denham or Ruth Kelly, as all would have lost their seats if the election were held yesterday.

I can't think of anyone obvious who has the qualities to be PM, maybe Alan Johnstone. I dislike David Milliband, I think he lacks charisma and warmth, we don't want a quasi-intellectual apparatchik leading our country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming Brown fights on till the next election and loses, he would probably go.

I talked about this scanrino in some depth on a different site once before, (who will be the next leader of opersition once Cameron becomes PM)

I previously said Ed Millband, but if he'd lost his seat. Who know's
  • Options
    JeromeJonesJeromeJones Posts: 3,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmy saville
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know enough of the party members, but I think they need a completely new direction and have to find a leader that will help obliterate memories of Blair and Brown.

No female leaders from this party either please. And before anyone accuses me of sexism, I thought Maggie Thatcher was ace! But the female Labour MP's who I've seen on political talk shows are terrible. So wishy-washy and far too soft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone obvious who has the qualities to be PM, maybe Alan Johnstone. I dislike David Milliband, I think he lacks charisma and warmth, we don't want a quasi-intellectual apparatchik leading our country.

I agree about Miliband, though why they trot his brother Ed out to defend Labour all the time flabbergasts me. He's a instantly dislikeable charisma vacuum.

More so than the others, I mean...
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    It will be someone who we haven't seen in a high profile job I think-presuming that events go bad for Brown.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God knows. I don't think it would be Alan Johnson. It was always supposed to be David Miliband. When John Smith died, it was pretty predictable it would be Blair, and, if not him, then Brown. Now, I just don't know.
  • Options
    Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harriet Harman, she seems like a very articulate and capable politician (from the Labour bunch anyway). She did very well in PMQs.

David Milliband is too ugly for my liking, lol
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be a toss up between Tessa Jowell and Hazel Blears, they may even job share :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know. there doesnt seem to be anyone with a personality. they are all so bland & boring.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Blair.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always liked Alan Milburn

Did some work for Kevin Rudd lately but might not fancy the frontline after he quit the Cabinet for family
  • Options
    Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Did some work for Kevin Rudd lately but might not fancy the frontline after he quit the Cabinet for family

The Prime Minister of Australia!?!?
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Prime Minister of Australia!?!?

Yeah, he was an Advisor just before the election and during the first few months in power

I was over there at the time, he kept popping up on TV all the time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know. there doesnt seem to be anyone with a personality. they are all so bland & boring.

Too right!

They are an uninspiring lot. No oomph, no passion, no character, no identity.

Labour are finished. They are doomed. They need to go back to their roots, stop pandering to the rich and look after their core voters once more.

God it felt good to get that off my chest :D
  • Options
    Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this time, I just can't see past it being anyone but David Miliband.

I would expect Jack Straw and Alan Johnson to put themselves forward too, and probably Harriet Harman.

There's a shocking lack of big personalities in the present Cabinet (hardly surprising given who's in charge).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Too right!

Labour are finished. They are doomed. They need to go back to their roots, stop pandering to the rich and look after their core voters once more.

Then they will be unelectable and spend forever in the wilderness....Erm I mean yes please do that then, go back to your socalist routes and stick with them guys :D:D
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Milliband. I wanted him to get it over Brown previously, but that was never going to happen.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    John McDonnell? I've got no doubt he'll put himself forward to be the next leader, and I think he'll get more support from the MPs after Brown's debacle.

He'll be up against a New Labour candidate - but what is worth noting for New Labour when in poppsition is what happened to William Hague. I think many people feel he'd be a good PM, but by becoming Leader of the Opposition too early, he basically destroyed his chances. I can see the possibles - like Johnson, Straw, Miliband - to hold back, and allow someone else to fall onto their sword before taking over. That someone could well be McDonnell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    Well it won't be Ed Balls, Jaccquie Smith, Ed Milliband, James Parnell, John Denham or Ruth Kelly, as all would have lost their seats if the election were held yesterday.

To me it would either be Jack Straw or Alan Johnson. I can't decide between the two. Alan's plus points are that he had no 'O' levels yet became education secretary - brilliant. Also, everyone loves their postie!

Jack Straw was a bit of a leftie rebel but has seen sense since then. IMO he has great charisma (as does Alan Johnson).

Either of these should be PM before the next election.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think it would happen but Alan Johnson would be a good option. He's acceptable enough for the media (it's sad that this is the first consideration really) and seems to have a good political head on his shoulders.
    Harriet Harman would probably be a front runner, but she's had far to much bad publicity if late IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    It will be a toss up between Tessa Jowell and Hazel Blears, they may even job share :D

Ugh! Both of these women set my teeth on edge although there have been a couple of really good female labour MPs - Mo Mowlan and Gwyneth Dunwoody - RIP.
  • Options
    storminmikestorminmike Posts: 46,928
    Forum Member
    Tony Blair.

Seconded

I just don't get what the labour party were doing by hanging their best leader for years in favour of the spoilt kid feet stamping egotistical Brown
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    It's got to be Harriet Jones - unless she's looking a bit tired

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Jones
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Galloway. :D