Lily Allen reply song!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
Forum Member
This whole thing has really backfired on her. This is a great little song from one of the poster over at B3ta.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9-esIM2CY

Comments

• Dolby KidDolby Kid Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a pop star, she has a quirky thing going on which is attractive, in spite of her idiot unfunny dad, but what she knows about the music business I could write on a grain of rice.

The business is changing and she has to keep up with innovation or quit. Looks like she's plumped for the latter.

All the arguments disputing her daft point of view have been made, but for her to throw the toys out of the pram now and quit music, expecting people to beg her to reconsider (when they clearly don't give a toss) is only going to make her look as big of an idiot as her dad is.

Oh and b3ta.com is the collective work of pure genius. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    manikman wrote: »
    This whole thing has really backfired on her.

The exact opposite is true. Incredibly, Lily Allen has managed to obtain the support of the Featured Artists Coalition (FAC). Two weeks ago, this influential group of musicians remained steadfastly opposed to current government proposals on file-sharing. Today, they accept that serious counter measures are needed to protect the music industry.

“We the undersigned wish to express our support for Lily Allen in her campaign to alert music lovers to the threat that illegal downloading presents to our industry and to condemn the vitriol that has been directed at her in recent days.

“Our meeting also voted overwhelmingly to support a three-strike sanction on those who persistently download illegal files, sanctions to consist of a warning letter, a stronger warning letter and a final sanction of the restriction of the infringer’s bandwidth to a level which would render filesharing of media files impractical while leaving basic email and web access functional.”

This is unprecedented. Bandwidth throttling could be implemented in as little as six months. The whole process will be automated:

P2P filesharing >> IP detection >> warning letters >> Dial-up era Internet access!

The vitriol directed at Lily has had the unintended effect of uniting musicians.

Artists Back Lily, Call For Three-Strikes Law (Billboard magazine)
    FAC supports three-strike action (Music Week)
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolby Kid wrote: »
    For a pop star, she has a quirky thing going on which is attractive, in spite of her idiot unfunny dad, but what she knows about the music business I could write on a grain of rice.

The business is changing and she has to keep up with innovation or quit. Looks like she's plumped for the latter.

All the arguments disputing her daft point of view have been made, but for her to throw the toys out of the pram now and quit music, expecting people to beg her to reconsider (when they clearly don't give a toss) is only going to make her look as big of an idiot as her dad is.

Oh and b3ta.com is the collective work of pure genius. :D
    Lily first stated she was 'quiting music' before this album came out, saying she doubted she would ever make another album.

She didn't claim that decision had anything to do with this piracy campaign.

She acknowledged the music business was changing and actually called FOR innovation. She is suggesting people look for another solution - one where people can enjoy music free or cheaply, but that will still support new artists - e.g. Spotify.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole thing has really backfired on her. This is a great little song from one of the poster over at B3ta.com

I wonder if this was an actual email that got sent to her? I did think it was funny, but halfway through it I started to wonder if this was actually something that they were going to send to her. Unless this was something that they were just doing for a laugh for youtube perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Cent wrote: »
    Lily first stated she was 'quiting music' before this album came out, saying she doubted she would ever make another album.

She didn't claim that decision had anything to do with this piracy campaign.

She acknowledged the music business was changing and actually called FOR innovation. She is suggesting people look for another solution - one where people can enjoy music free or cheaply, but that will still support new artists - e.g. Spotify.

I'm afraid she didn't. She stated on her blog before she deleted it that music can't be free, how can it be.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    poor lil lily - she's out of her depth here with the big boys.
    Forum Member
    This how the three strikes idea will work:

Warning letter - user ignores it.
    2nd warning letter - user sets up encrypted VPN account, encrypted newsgroup account or downloads an anonymous p2p application.
    No third warning letter and filesharer continues, this time without his ISP or anyone else knowing what he is doing.

It wont make the blindest bit of difference in the longer term and we will all still be here arguing about this in 2 or 3 years time :)
    Forum Member

That's great. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    That youtube response is so great.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolby Kid wrote: »

Well, I'll be sorry if she does quit music, because I've really loved her work.

I don't really know enough about the argument to venture an opinion except that there are no free lunches and music obviously has to be paid for somehow.