What other names could UK DTT have been called instead of Freeview?

2»

Comments

• riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    2 have steerable dishes.

Which are VERY unlikely to be there to receive Sky, aren't they.
    many other channels Sky have like Sky Arts all in HD.

Yes, 2 WHOLE channels of highbrow stuff out of 100s of populist low rent rubbish.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Which are VERY unlikely to be there to receive Sky, aren't they.

Yes, 2 WHOLE channels of highbrow stuff out of 100s of populist low rent rubbish.

Your first point, maybe, maybe not, but what I did not make clear they also have a Sky dish fitted. The steerable dishes which are large ground mounted are in their gardens. The owner of one has a TV/electrical business and the other dish is on his son's property. They were fitted recently after the Sky dishes

Your second point you just selected 2 channels, fair enough, but I also mentioned Sky Sports but of course there is also Sky Sports F1 covering all the GP, Eurosport. They all cater for far more sport than anything on Freeview and all are in HD.

There is a plethora of film channels many in HD and nature, history and other documentaries most in HD too. Low rent rubbish it is not. HD is also very limited on Freeview.

If I look at Freeview I see valuable space taken up with shopping channels crud, adult channels and other rubbish taking up valuable space. They do have crap on Sky but that is not taking up valuable space.

The comments about Sky dishes being associated with council flats might be funny, to those just with Freeview, but that is all it is, just a joke with little truth. Look around you will see just as many Sky dishes on up-market private houses but because of the house design they can usually be put in less obvious places.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 have steerable dishes

To steer away from the council tv shows on Sky presumably. ;)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    To steer away from the council tv shows on Sky presumably. ;)

No I doubt it, I know they are there because I visit their houses but from the road neither the Sky dishes or steerable dishes can be seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I look at Freeview I see valuable space taken up with shopping channels crud, adult channels and other rubbish taking up valuable space. They do have crap on Sky but that is not taking up valuable space.

To be fair, if you don't watch them, they are a waste of space everywhere. There's just a lot more of them on Sky. They aren't actually wasting space unless there's a vast amount of broadcasters lining up to get their channels onto the platform. The fact is, they simply aren't lining up.
    The comments about Sky dishes being associated with council flats might be funny, to those just with Freeview, but that is all it is, just a joke with little truth. Look around you will see just as many Sky dishes on up-market private houses but because of the house design they can usually be put in less obvious places.

The Sky dish / council estate stereotypes existed long before freeview came onto the scene, they are just stereotypes. Any amusement is from seeing Sky users trying to apply a term long associated with themselves to freeview users.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I doubt it, I know they are there because I visit their houses but from the road neither the Sky dishes or steerable dishes can be seen.

The simple fact here is that, if they have steerable dishes, they aren't totally satisfied with what is on offer from Sky and are looking elsewhere for extra content.
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freebee would have been a good name
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Love the pauperview lol!
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTMUP.TV ( How to mess up public tv ) would be the right name for DTT.

We gave up our old channel to allow Digital TV but what have we got from it ?
    A national/public tv network were not all UK can pick up all old 6 muxes and no new muxes from the space given up for more TV channels, that was the main reason for a new digital tv network, not for Ofcom to sell space to non tv companies and give space to europe ... SAD

OnDigital started on Sunday evening at 7pm on 15th November 1998 with six muxes and in those years we were told that there was no more space until old network was given up and with that they could put power up on all muxes to give 98% of the UK digital TV services.....

Yes Ondigital ( two ITV companies owned it ) had 3 tire packages and were taken fully over to make ITV Digital and with bad power levels and high cost of sports and giving free boxes as SKY did with there very large pockets and many press to pump out good press for sky.... ITV just could keep up with the costs, even with them having e-mail,( On-mail ) and internet on your TV before any other platform could ever do it,

We now have news that OFCOM is to allow a new mux BUT it's is allowing for local tv channels ( 8 epg or 45 channel number ) and it will be on very low power from transmitters so we will have the same trouble with only half people in the transmitter area being able to see the channel and only 1/3 of the UK will get the new mux and it will only be able to hold a local tv channel & 1 HD or 3 SD channel (s) .....

We need a real UK Digital TV network for 100% of the nation that has room to allow any TV company that has free to air channels that wish place on the platform to be able to do with out very high bidding and re bidding like the HD slot we have now spare......

Freeview 6mux if you are in the area of a transmitter and cheap freeview if near to relay transmitter with 2 sd muxes and one HD..... The EPG is a mess too .....with shopping & betting all over and +1 channells too, with sister channels also over epg....

I was there before start day of DTT and kept with it over the years, but now I have moved to FreeSat were we have a clean EPG and Iplayers and more choice of channels then on Freeview and i virginmeda too, so freeview has become a back ground system on my five LCD HD tv's as I have three tv with freeSat & virgin ...

So a re name would not help it as the system is a mess now thanks to MP's & OFCOM ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, spectrum allocation is and has to be co-ordinated internationally. This is happening everywhere, not just in the UK.