Options

Adults who have never learnt to drive

Comments

• Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good point about partners actually - I drive so I don't care if a woman does it not. I've never had a girlfriend who drives come to think of it

But I couldn't imagine having to go for a date on the bus - ladies do you/ would you/wouldn't you date a grown man who doesn't drive?

My boyfriend doesn't drive and it hasn't made any difference to our relationship... In fact him being a non-driver is a blessing, if either of us were drivers then we wouldn't have met, since I was walking to the bus stop and he was walking home when he chased me down the road to ask for my number.

A couple of my ex's were drivers but they wouldn't bring their car when we were going out as they wouldn't have been able to drink and they didn't want the hassle of finding somewhere to park plus the cost of parking is extortionate.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never driven, nor learned to drive.

I live about a mile from my local train station and don't think twice about catching a train and travelling for several hours to get somewhere I want to go. I've been known to walk several miles to and from the station at the other end as well.

More interesting is whether or not young people tend to think it's weird, even suspicious, for older people not to have a driving licence at all, as the youngsters have grown accustomed to needing one to buy alcohol, cigarettes etc and to get into clubs.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave driving a go in the mid 8os when my dad gave me a few lessons. I didn't like it. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything. I have my legs and a bike. I wouldn't have the cash needed for a car and all the trappings anyway. My husband is a taxi driver, his insurance costs are so high, there's no way we'd have the money to insure me too.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drive. Have never had the slightest inclination or want to learn.

I live in central London, I walk to work and it really is easier and cheaper for me to get anywhere I need to by public transport.

Not to mention the cost of insurance in my neck of the woods, it would be double the cost of a second hand car :o:o

We get our shopping delivered, taxi's if need be and we have family members who drive so we're not stuck in an emergency.

Have had the odd bit of hassle (cat had to have several trips to the vets recently and I have had to impose on my Dad but I booked the appointments to suit him) but on the whole I don't feel at all disadvantaged.

That said my non driving OH is going to do an intensive course soon - he had lessons years ago but never took his test - as he will need to drive for work soon.

A bloke not driving has never been an issue for me before though, it's just not something that bothers me.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never bothered, I live in London and I think our transport is good
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I DO drive but have a friend who just doesn't have a desire to. She lives in the country and her husband is actually a driving instructor lol but she can afford taxis if she wants to go out when her hubby is working. I guess driving isn't that important to some people.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 23 and don't drive. I don't really have a desire to. I had five lessons and really didn't enjoy it. I don't have any interest in cars or anything, and I'm happy enough getting the bus or train to places.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I started learning when I was a student in Scotland but never got round to sitting a test since living in Glasgow or London. Now I cycle or walk everywhere within London or use public transport.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in my 60s and have never driven

I've lived in central London since I was 18 and it's never seemed necessary to drive.....but maybe it was just me as all the people I shared flats with as a student and afterwards all learned to drive

There again most of them , in fact all of them, have moved out of London and I stayed here.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the saying goes, you are less a man if you can't drive.:p
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I've never bothered, I live in London and I think our transport is good

It should be, the amount of subsidy it gets, if only the rest of the countries public transport systems had the amount invested in it that londons does, the desire for cars would be reduced greatly.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Gosh. Seems an odd thing to require in a partner!
    If anyone bases the whole crux of a relationship purely on their partner having a mandatory requirement to drive, in my view as a non-driver, I'd suggest that person is being purely superficial and that I would be thankful I dodged a bullet!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find it but there was a thread about it a while ago - women who won't date non drivers?
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    It's a good point about partners actually - I drive so I don't care if a woman does it not. I've never had a girlfriend who drives come to think of it

But I couldn't imagine having to go for a date on the bus - ladies do you/ would you/wouldn't you date a grown man who doesn't drive?

I'll be whatever you don't drive I don't drive so it don't matter to me. I don't see what's so weird about it
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live it unusual to find anyone over the age of 20 who can't drive. Most people I knew couldn't wait to get their provisional licence when they turned 17. I was 19 when I passed my test.

It's not odd that people can't drive, it's up to them if they learn or not, but I do think it gives you more freedom and independence.

I don't understand why some posters are saying "I'm not cut out for it"? It's something that anyone can learn to do if they put minds to it, unless there is a medical reason for not being able to drive than there's no reason why you can't learn. It takes some people longer than others, but that excuse sounds like a cop out to me.

I was so ecstatic when I stopped driving, I'm richer, healthier as a result. What I do find laughable is the idea you can get to places that are restricted for those that can't drive, I have been to many places that cars cannot get to, the polar regions, Snowdonia, Ben Nevis ect.
  • Options
    Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 40 and have never learnt to drive! Only one in my family who doesn't (Mum Dad and Brothers all do). It was never something i was interested in plus I'm a danger to myself on my mountain bike never mind a car lol
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    My grandad has never driven but was a train driver, my nan had lessons in her 60s but was to nervous to continue. I am a driver, I couldn't imagine not having a car, but I agree it is an expensive privilege. My partner also drives, he didn't when I first met him and it was a nightmare as a driver to run him around, it's better for both if us that we drive and have separate cars.

It's amazing how a car journey can test your relationship to beyond its limits.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never been able to drive & unless a miracle cure comes along to stop my blackouts, then I never will learn. Yes it does get annoying sometimes when I see all my friends on the road, but another part of me is fine with it, due to the expense & having to have eyes out of your arse due to some of the careless drivers on the road. Strange thing is that as I am not on any medication for my condition, the DVLA have said in the past that I am welcome to learn how to drive, but I still class myself as a danger on the road & refuse to put others at risk, with the possibility of me losing consciousness suddenly while driving.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    urm not everyone wants to drive.
    I don't and have never been interested at all.
    Same with university and clubbing. I don't have to be a sheep and copy everyone and i am not unusual for doing so. Plus like others have said there are buses , trains , bikes. I live in a small village and even i am able to travel to most places by public transport with little problems.

I don't want to drive and put myself or other people in danger - i am bad a geography and would be rubbish driver. We cannot afford for my fiance to drive let alone both of us or run two cars. He wants to drive and i am happy for him to , just him driving suits us and we could eventually run one car not two. Me driving isn't needed.
    My fiance's mother drives me up the wall sometimes saying to me i should drive to when i damn well don't. I am not any worse off for not driving. Why waste money on lessons and passing if i am unlikely to ever get behind a wheel. Paying my bills are more important.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be lost without my car, although I live in a town I run a village community hall and some times I have to lock up late. It is a quiet unlit village with no transport at night and if the security alarm sounds I would have no way of getting there.
    My two eldest do not need to drive so have been casual about learning, my two youngest have both needed vehicles for their jobs and passed when they were 17.
    So it seems it is all about locations and professions!
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    urm not everyone wants to drive.
    I don't and have never been interested at all.
    Same with university and clubbing. I don't have to be a sheep and copy everyone and i am not unusual for doing so. Plus like others have said there are buses , trains , bikes. I live in a small village and even i am able to travel to most places by public transport with little problems.

I don't want to drive and put myself or other people in danger - i am bad a geography and would be rubbish driver. We cannot afford for my fiance to drive let alone both of us or run two cars. He wants to drive and i am happy for him to , just him driving suits us and we could eventually run one car not two. Me driving isn't needed.
    My fiance's mother drives me up the wall sometimes saying to me i should drive to when i damn well don't. I am not any worse off for not driving. Why waste money on lessons and passing if i am unlikely to ever get behind a wheel. Paying my bills are more important.

Is there some kind of bonus prize for use of the word sheep on DS that I am not aware of?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I don't get it as to why people don't learn this basic skill. I can't imagine not being able to drive or not owning a car.

The standard answer is "I live in the city and don't need it as buses/tube go to my workplace" etc.

Well what if you won't live in the city all your life? What if there is an emergency and you need to get somewhere far away very fast? What if you decide you want a quick visit to the seaside for a few hours only? What if you want to visit your parents in another county?
    What if you need to get to a wedding at a remote church?
    It'd all be a time consuming nightmare, especially as public transport is so shit and unreliable.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I have never been able to drive & unless a miracle cure comes along to stop my blackouts, then I never will learn. Yes it does get annoying sometimes when I see all my friends on the road, but another part of me is fine with it, due to the expense & having to have eyes out of your arse due to some of the careless drivers on the road. Strange thing is that as I am not on any medication for my condition, the DVLA have said in the past that I am welcome to learn how to drive, but I still class myself as a danger on the road & refuse to put others at risk, with the possibility of me losing consciousness suddenly while driving.
    Regardless of what the DVLA say, if you're having blackouts, there's no way you should be driving. Thank goodness you realise this. I hope you get free of them soon.

I have a friend with epilepsy who has never managed a siezure-free year since diagnosis, and I see her frustration.

Driving is convenient, it's an asset for a lot of job opportunities, and makes life a little bit easier, but it's not an absolute necessity.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    As a driver I have never entertained the idea of a partner who couldn't drive too (without a valid medical reason).
    jjwales wrote: »
    Gosh. Seems an odd thing to require in a partner!

Is it? I wouldn't go for a partner who (could have but) hadn't learnt to cook or dress themselves, or hadn't learnt to tie their shoe laces either. It's all basic skills.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Is it? I wouldn't go for a partner who (could have but) hadn't learnt to cook or dress themselves, or hadn't learnt to tie their shoe laces either. It's all basic skills.

What nonsense. Simply bears no comparison whatsoever.