When and why did it become trendy to hate the royal family?

Comments

• Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    They are no different to anyone else who have inherited wealth but they are probably in a lot more danger.

Nobody else who has inherited wealth is my Head of State. That's a big bloody difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps not, but living in Republic doesn't either. People seem to think a Republic is the answer to all our woes...well, LOL.

Except not one single person has said that have they?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »
    How about because it's unfair and unjust. Is that not enough?

Is it? Do I feel slighted or put upon because we have a monarchy? No, and I doubt very few people do. If it's unfair on anyone it's the poor devils who are born into it and have to do the job. I know I wouldn't want to for all the money in the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we have a Republic tomorrow, how would it actually affect your life?

I'd start my campaign for the top job :cool:
    Forum Member
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Except not one single person has said that have they?

You implied it.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Well I've yet to read any 'relevant' arguments in support of ditching it, apart from 'I hated Fergie in It's a Knockout' and some fluffy stuff about equality and fairness.

:sleep:

If you regard equality and fairness as fluff then I can understand why you support an institution that could not survive without privilege.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd start my campaign for the top job :cool:

You expect the electorate to take you seriously with an alias like 'Stiffy'? ;)

I do agree with your point however. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it? Do I feel slighted or put upon because we have a monarchy? No, and I doubt very few people do. If it's unfair on anyone it's the poor devils who are born into it and have to do the job. I know I wouldn't want to for all the money in the world.

I feel similar.

I would rather continue to be an unemployed peasant than be a royal. Even with all the wealth and perks I know I'd find it a ghastly way of living.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You implied it.

No I didn't.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Perhaps not, but living in Republic doesn't either. People seem to think a Republic is the answer to all our woes...well, LOL.
    I've never heard republicans propose that getting rid of the monarchy will lead to more pleasant motoring.
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    If you regard equality and fairness as fluff then I can understand why you support an institution that could not survive without privilege.

'Power to the People!'
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I believe for most of their history the Royals weren't particularly well loved. The portrayal of them as a model family is a mainly late 19th/20th century invention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Power to the People!'

Indeed, which is what a monarchy does not represent - I mean our laws are passed from a "House of lords" - you don't get more ego-maniacal than that?
    Forum Member
    Indeed, which is what a monarchy does not represent - I mean our laws are passed from a "House of lords" - you don't get more ego-maniacal than that?

You can have an elected second chamber without resorting to the abolition of the monarchy.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine why anybody would consider being a royal "privileged"
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... If it's unfair on anyone it's the poor devils who are born into it and have to do the job. I know I wouldn't want to for all the money in the world.

And we mustn't forget that the current Queen wasn't born into it.

If it wasn't for her uncle abdicating, so he could marry a divorcee, I doubt we would know much about the minor Royal called HRH Princess Elizabeth of York.

She was born the same as Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie of York.

She is someone who has had "Greatness thrust upon them".
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Nobody else who has inherited wealth is my Head of State. That's a big bloody difference.
    I don't understand why you seem to be attaching so much importance to the Queen being the "Head of State". It's a ceremonial position.

Parliament and the Prime Minister wield the power in the UK.

Like I said, I'm not defending the Royal Family, I just cant garner any ill will towards them.

But I'm open to suggestions why I should hate them! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    I don't understamnd why you seem to be attaching so much importance to the Queen being the "Head of State". It's a ceremonial position.

Parliament and the Prime Minister wield the power in the UK.

Like I said, I'm not defending the Royal Family, I just cant garner any ill will towards them.

But I'm open to suggestions why I should hate them! :)

I already said I don't hate the Royal Family. The character of those involved is completely and utterly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    The fact that they represent a world where one person is judged better than another purely because of accident of birth?

So they represent reality then, is that your problem?

I sometimes wonder whether the royals get so much flack because they are priviledged and there isn't the hypocrisy about it.
    They undermine the hypocrisy that's so often on display.

From the smallest incidents, right through to really big things people want to display their worth, their individuality, their superiority to others around them.

Fairness and equality, don't make me laugh.

Go to a job interview with 10 other people, yeah right, nobody wants to be the "chosen" one and get the job, of course not.
    Who really believes that they are exactly the same as the person standing next to them as opposed to being more suited to the job, able to do it better.
    "oh, but my qualifications are better", ok, lets examine why that is and lets remove all the advantages you were born with, from having a higher IQ, to having better parents, to being taller, better looking ect.

We put each other down all the time to strive for ourselves, even here on DS, the competition to be the most articulate, the one who makes the best posts, the one who gets the most people to agree with them.

Perhaps if people accepted the royals they might not be so short sighted about what they do themselves to gain priviledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can have an elected second chamber without resorting to the abolition of the monarchy.

True but the monarchy is undemocratic by nature, our very own head of state comes down to mere hereditary. We should abolish the monarchy. The royals will not cease to exist. They will continue to get married and have children. Hell, the queen can still stay on our money and stamps.

Just no longer unelected elite rulers. :)
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I sense difficult times ahead for the Royal Family. Cracks in the support of the Monarchy from the CofE; a less than overwhelming sense of excitement about the coming Royal nuptials and polls showing a minority in favour of the next in line even becoming King.

I sense a turn in the tide.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was the Royal Family or President Cilla or President Clarkson then my vote goes for keeping the monarchy. It's totally flawed, of course, but it's far preferable to the alternative. Look at the French - they got rid of their monarchy and it would be harder to find a more angry, self-hating bunch of people.

Too right Can you just imagine if we'd had President Tony & the First Lady Cherie :eek::eek:
    I'm sure with some people that if Charles had married Camilla first & then seen Diana on the side, they would have said good luck to him, because she was lovely to look at !!
    We've had a monarchy for centuries why change
    People seem to forget they are all human beings with the same flaws & weakness's as the rest of us
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Was it something to do with the death of Princess Diana?

I can't think why else there has been such a big U-turn in how the British public feel toward them or when it really started.

I'm not a huge fan of them or anything but I find the amount of royal bashing on here pretty tedious. A lot of the time it reminds me of students trying to be edgy by going against something mainstream, for some reason. :D
    It's not trendy. It's a matter of opinion, just as it is the other way around. You're trying to de-legitimise sincere republican feelings with a very obviously loaded question . Doesn't wash (as the disclaimer in the last paragraph doesn't, either, otherwise you'd have no doubt noticed the large amount of pro-royalist sentiment, too).
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of my country being based on equality and fairness. How can we claim to really be a democracy when the top job is decided through an accident of birth?

Because the "top job" in our democracy is Prime Minister. The Queen is something different. The Monarchy isn't supposed to be democratic.

Democracy has its uses but it's not ideal for all jobs and positions.

Yes, it's an accident of birth. The fact the you were born to your parents not to Fred and Rosemary West, Bill and Melissa Gates or Liz and Philip Windsor is an accident of birth too.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't expect the soap-loving, tabloid-reading, Jeremy Kyle-watching British public to come up with something sensible, do you?
    Oh i see. You know best and people are so stupid to make a sensible choice. Maybe we should stop having general elections as well has the public are too stupid to vote for the right person.:rolleyes: