BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Yet another science slot ruined by Radio 5 cutting away to some fat useless politician waffling away in Parliament. This could be covered in the news.

You beat me to making exactly the same point.

What is the point of having any interesting feature if they are going to be dropped just to hear the wafflings of yet another here today, gone tomorrow politician?

Why can't we have this summarised by their political correspondent? Having it shoved down our throats live does not make good radio. It's times like this when I wish that scene in the recent Sherlock episode earlier this year could come true...
  • JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else feel the urge to throw something (preferably heavy) at the radio every time that awful trailer for the Winter Olympics comes on? Or is it just me?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else feel the urge to throw something (preferably heavy) at the radio every time that awful trailer for the Winter Olympics comes on? Or is it just me?

No I agree, it's typical BBC over hyping an event that most people probably couldn't care less for.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    SJM978 wrote: »
    You beat me to making exactly the same point.

What is the point of having any interesting feature if they are going to be dropped just to hear the wafflings of yet another here today, gone tomorrow politician?

Why can't we have this summarised by their political correspondent? Having it shoved down our throats live does not make good radio. It's times like this when I wish that scene in the recent Sherlock episode earlier this year could come true...

It seems to happen every Monday with the science slot. I don't know why they bothered. Lucie green was on for about 30 seconds.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    There's something even worse that drives me INSANE with that woman. Her incessant tip-tapping on her keyboard whilst she's interviewing someone. You can hear every goddamn key press on DAB.

Google is her friend. Lost when spontaneity is required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    deivu74 wrote: »
    There's something even worse that drives me INSANE with that woman. Her incessant tip-tapping on her keyboard whilst she's interviewing someone. You can hear every goddamn key press on DAB.

No, it is just her pressinthe down arrow on the keyboard to see her script tell her to say "errrm", or "how does that make you feel" or "that is awful"...
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member

Completely agree. I have to turn it off. Poetry is very much a personal taste thing, so having the same piece constantly rammed into your ears is excruciating!
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think that the BBC's summariser for tonight's match between Chelsea and Manchester City might know how to pronounce the Jose in Jose Mourinho. But then it is Robbie Savage!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    You would think that the BBC's summariser for tonight's match between Chelsea and Manchester City might know how to pronounce the Jose in Jose Mourinho. But then it is Robbie Savage!

I fail to see what Savage brings to the BBC.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,279
    Forum Member
    Loud opinions and cutting through people it seems..
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LBC has far too much advertising on it, I can't see many 5live listeners changing to it.

With the endless (and often over loud)trails for BBC 5 programmes and adverts for themselves and BBC shows and the Olympics I actually find LBC breaks far less annoying than the BBC self promotion.....not to mention interesting potentially articles broken up by parliament and press conferences or wickets or goals....

Well apart from the maroosh restaurant/galliard homes one's that is... :p
    But other than that I don't think it would put 5live listeners off that much
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Goldie doing 5 Live cover from Salford or Birmingham, as he's still listed for doing his Wm show as well, according to Radio Times?

I know he did Wm from Salford last time.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all seriousness, after listening to quite a bit of Five's output over the las two weeks, if with all the massive budgets afforded to it - Five cant get abetter bang for its buck (e.g. Derbyshire, Savage and Wright) god help it in its new battle with LBC/Talksport..
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vic's programme seems to be all about early onset dementia today.

It's a serious subject I know, but I really can't take 2 hours of it :(

I can't wait til LBC goes nationwide !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Oh look yet another deeply depressing show hosted by Derbyshire on 5 Live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe8979 wrote: »
    Oh look yet another deeply depressing show hosted by Derbyshire on 5 Live.

I gave up on MISERY long ago - however it still dont make it right that this tripe is churned out. There are helpline no.s to give out however two full hours of her faux concern and empathy.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Programmes like Woman's Hour and You and Yours on Radio 4 treat similar topics much more appropriately in a shorter time then move on to something else. But I suppose it is a cheap way of filling air time until the next big sports event to cover.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put some Jazz CDs on and rejoined at twelve and that was at 9.30 am, I have all the sympathy for the guy and his poor sons(they have played trailer and part of interview yesterday)but I couldn't take listening to this today....:(

As for the Olympics trailer Simon Mayos implied the same line of thought when the trailer was played on the Friday film show,he asked what ever possessed them to give the trailer a demonic voice!! (theres a pun in there) :)

Will be LBC instead of Jazz after the 11th and I may not go back that day.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Another thing that annoys me about 5 live is that it always has to break away every 10 mins to do travel updates or the news. Why not have the news every hour rather than every half hour?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing that annoys me about 5 live is that it always has to break away every 10 mins to do travel updates or the news. Why not have the news every hour rather than every half hour?
    I don't mind the news every half hour. Plus the news on the half hour features sport news in more depth while on the hour it's news in more depth and just the sports headlines. It sounds like a good balance to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come 11th February Five wont know what has hit it that's for sure. Can say it has not been warned...
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I'm looking forward to hearing LBC
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the half hour news were ever on time I could see the point for people to tune in specifically to hear them, but usually they might just as well not bother and wait 20 minutes for the main bulletins.

As for the travel reports, I could hardly ever see the point in the pre satnav and social media days, but today even less so. Fair enough give news of serious delays on major national routes and motorways, but when you get a report on a minor jam on the outskirts of Sunderland which is only going to delay anybody in the immediate vicinity by about 10 minutes, why bother? I'm sure these would be better on local stations.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another science slot ruined by Radio 5 cutting away to some fat useless politician waffling away in Parliament. This could be covered in the news.
    I didn't hear the item so if the sequence of events is as you describe them I don't blame you for your annoyance.

As a non Bacon fan though can I put the following to you.

Let's suppose you are the duty news editor at 5 live. You are under pressure from people here and Talksport to increase the news content of your programmes. The science slot on Bacon's show is a feature rather than a news item. You get word that the Minister is due to make a statement to the House of Commons about flooding in the Somerset levels. This item has of course been very much in the news.

Bearing in mind the above wouldn't you at least be tempted to go with the House of Commons statement live?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Maybe so, but I would shove the science feature along to later or earlier so it could be broadcast uninterrupted. I wouldn't let it start knowing it would be interrupted.
This discussion has been closed.