Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    JackFoley wrote: »
    But every 2D/3D production has different commentators and presentation, I'd be very surprised if that is not the case for F1.

It's not going to be a proper Sky Sports production.

It's an F1 test, it's a good opportunity for Sky and FOM to test out 3D technology, nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Like all their sports coverage there'll be a separate production. Cameras, vision mixing, graphics, commentators etc.

You think? I'd be amazed if they set up two sets of cameras, considering the fact they've never even set up one full set of cameras to televise the testing with before.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVPaulD wrote: »
    You think? I'd be amazed if they set up two sets of cameras, considering the fact they've never even set up one full set of cameras to televise the testing with before.

It would be very difficult to do with one set of cameras. Sky do tend to splash the cash, though. With the last Ryder Cup, Sky produced the coverage from the US (in partnership with James Cameron) and it wasn't even broadcast on US TV.
  • Options
    LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *comes down from the ceiling* OMG just finished cleaning myself up, had a .....err moment when I heard F1 testing will be in 3D just like I predicted!!

must buy a 3D TV......TO THE SHOPS!!!!.......
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Keith Huewen on Twitter saying that as it stands, neither Indycar or Speedway GP (ok it's 2 wheels not 4 but some people may be interested) have anything signed with Sky, and no news on it either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    must buy a 3D TV......TO THE SHOPS!!!!.......

LG Cinema 3D is the way to go!!
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D is awful in my opinion.

I have already run away so there in no point abusing me! :D

Ken
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I was also informed about other exciting news, yet to be revealed, about the Sky Sports F1 channel, which I think we will all like. :)

I'll look forward to full classic GPs then...? ;)

On today's announcement. Have I understood correctly that Sky Sports F1 will have two continuous hours of live coverage from each day of each of the remaining tests? If so, that's a very interesting move and it'll be intriguing to see how they manage it.

Not overly fussed about the 3D, but I'd be interested to know if FOM/LG's judgement on it was correct.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On today's announcement. Have I understood correctly that Sky Sports F1 will have two continuous hours of live coverage from each day of each of the remaining tests? If so, that's a very interesting move and it'll be intriguing to see how they manage it.

No - only third test from Thursday 28th February to Sunday 3rd March. :)
  • Options
    chrisf1fanchrisf1fan Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I'll look forward to full classic GPs then...? ;)

No, just the final test I believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D HD onboards WOOOP
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    It would be very difficult to do with one set of cameras. Sky do tend to splash the cash, though. With the last Ryder Cup, Sky produced the coverage from the US (in partnership with James Cameron) and it wasn't even broadcast on US TV.

The Ryder Cup is a completely different kettle of fish.

It's one of Sky's absolutely prime, marquee events. The rights cost £15m for 3 days. Not far off 40% what Sky is paying for a whole F1 season.

This is an F1 test - the total audience (ie 2D) will be what - approx 20,000 maybe? The Ryder Cup would generally be around 1 million and lasts far, far longer - approx 30 hours in total.

The two events (and broadcasts) are in a completely different league in every way - importance, profile etc.
  • Options
    HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3D HD onboards WOOOP

Yep. Really looking forward to it.

I said when it was announced that Sky were going to cover F1 that 3D would be great, but everyone pooh poohed the idea as all the coverage would be from FOM.

But this is clearly just a first step. As well as testing the cars, they are testing 3D.
    If it is successful I would think it will be done in a real race before long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D HD onboards WOOOP

Your assuming the teams' will give Sky permission to put cameras on the cars.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    A familiar face hanging on during Ben's interview with Hamilton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21353306
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Your assuming the teams' will give Sky permission to put cameras on the cars.
    And that Sky have 3D cameras able to be placed on the cars as well as all the other equipment required for OnBoard cameras (Transmission & reception systems for instance).

To be honest im not expecting anything other than the bare minimum. 1 camera per-corner just to ensure the whole track's covered, No proper timing/position graphics, No OnBoards & no other data (Such as team radio & telemetry).

Im also expecting super low viewing figures for the 3D/SD & HD channels as im not sure there's the general interest in watching testing outside of the real big f1 fanatics who watch everything there able to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no no noooo, 3D is done differently, there should be lots of car level cameras, cameras in the kerbs & if there was a Jib crane thingy to wooosh across the track that would be super spectacular!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no no noooo, 3D is done differently, there should be lots of car level cameras, cameras in the kerbs & if there was a Jib crane thingy to wooosh across the track that would be super spectacular!

I'll have to quote this post come the time, because the chances of that happening is very remote in my opinion - but there almost certainly won't be cameras in the kerbs at a test.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3D is done differently, there should be lots of car level cameras, cameras in the kerbs & if there was a Jib crane thingy to wooosh across the track that would be super spectacular!

If you visit somewhere that sells Panasonic TVs, ask them if they can show you their Panasonic 2012 3D Demonstration Disc Vol 2.
    It has footage from Edmonton Indy featuring exactly that, plus onboards, inc 5.1 audio.
    Its really good.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

Cameras level to cars yes, Don't expect cameras in kerbs - the good 3D cameras are FAR too large, Cranes doable but unlikely.

Personally if Sky are the ones doing it, I expect maybe 5 or so cameras, Probably focus more in the pits. Id be very surprised if they bring enough to show every corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, yea I doubt eveything I want will happen, but I DID predct 3D ! and now it's come to pass.
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A familiar face hanging on during Ben's interview with Hamilton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21353306

They showed that interview on Sky Sports News (from their camera obviously), including one of Ben's questions. Bit strange that, when Ted and Rachel/Craig were there.

Good news about the testing coverage and 3D, will have to phone a friend to watch it though :)

Thanks for the information regarding Indycar, I think it would be good if ITV 4 got it, would fit neatly with other motorsports rights that they have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    The Ryder Cup is a completely different kettle of fish.

The two events (and broadcasts) are in a completely different league in every way - importance, profile etc.

Point taken. But whether it's a high profile event like the Ryder Cup or showjumping from Hickstead which gets 20k viewers on SS3, Sky don't do half measures with their 3D coverage.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cocarroll wrote: »
    Just assuming that the speculation here was true. Having said that, you seem to know something the rest of us don't, so is this an implication that Indycar is not leaving Sky Sports ;)

Where did I say that?
    All I said was that it'll happen.
    If not, I bet you know where to find it anyway...
    Jp
  • Options
    DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    3D is awful in my opinion.

Ken

you're not the only one Ken - but as I have been told you have to have two good eyes to see how good it is then that could explain why I find it not very impressive with my one decent eye.
This discussion has been closed.