Options

Funny things that have happened at work

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
I used to work at McDonald's and three funny things happened while I was there.

1. A woman came to the speaker at the drive-thru where you order and asked how much a large coffee was. The employee told her and she seemed so disgusted by the price that she opened her mouth with shock, reversed back out of the drive-thru and drove off without saying anything.

2. Two men thought they would try to be tough and funny by attempting to steal a dessert from the little cabinet on the front counter. My manager almost immediately confronted them like a hawk when they squared up to them. They were in his face and about to literally jump on him when my manager ran outside to get the police who just turned up for their coffee (luckily). They came in and asked the two men what they had done to which they started to give cheek back and almost pounced on my manager once again. This time the police had had enough and threw the man against the wall and everyone in the store went "wheeyyy". He was then dragged off shouted at everyone which got him into more trouble.

3. There was a deaf man who'd worked at McDonald's for over 10 years. He was a really nice guy and would help you all the time. There was also this fat Asain lad who was useless and slow. One time I was on my break with about 5 other employees when this Asain lad goes past us in the crew room through to the toilets. He was in there for a long time so it was evident what he was doing. Then the deaf guy came in and tried to open the door to the toilet to which he was greeted by the Asain lad sat having a poo and he slammed the door and started screaming and running about. It was brilliant!

Have you had anything funny happen at work?

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a laugh-a-minute. Wish I worked there.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    How did you spell Asian wrong 3 times?
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More to the point, why has the typing font on my reply changed?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital spy members for you right there. Bloody hell.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    Digital spy members for you right there. Bloody hell.

Sorry, sorry, you're right. Now I'm over the font shock I shall reply to the thread.

I have many funny things that happen to me at work, as well as horrid things, exciting things and downright scary things. And the occasional smelly thing.

One day I am going to write a book.

One example of a funny thing: guy came in asking how much for this cabbage. I run a record shop, so that was pretty funny.

Ooo oooh, another one along the same lines, chap came in and asked me, "do you sell records?". That was very funny, considering.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Sorry, sorry, you're right. Now I'm over the font shock I shall reply to the thread.

I have many funny things that happen to me at work, as well as horrid things, exciting things and downright scary things. And the occasional smelly thing.

One day I am going to write a book.

One example of a funny thing: guy came in asking how much for this cabbage. I run a record shop, so that was pretty funny.

Ooo oooh, another one along the same lines, chap came in and asked me, "do you sell records?". That was very funny, considering.

Was it funnier than the time that bloke came in asking if his glasses were ready. The opticians are next door and he didn't realise.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Depends on how you see it, but they filmed some of 'Miranda' in my office..
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a woman yelling down the phone at me absolutely livid that one of our motorbike couriers had refused to take a job she had booked with us. After ranting at me for 5 minutes without giving me a chance to speak (or stopping for breath) she asked me "give me one good reason your bike would refuse to carry my job or I close my account"?

Me: "It's a piano".
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all of the above mentioned are "you had to be there" moments, and my one is no exception:

When I worked in Sainsburys Local I had a woman come in with an open bag of flour and an open bag of sugar. There was no one else in the store, she just came right up to the counter and asked "I'm making apple crumble at home and my scales are broken, do you mind if I use the scales on your till?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    The short version of the story is that I had a very annoying customer on the phone, while working tech support.
    I'm not sure if I could blame him or not; the problem was that he seemed to know nothing about computers other than using the single program he wanted help with. For example, he didn't know that the square things on the screen are called "windows", didn't know how to delete a file, or how to minimise a window etc. But I digress.

I had been on the phone with him for about 20 minutes, for a 1-minute job. After we hung up (once he realised that there was no way I could explain to him what to do) I had the following discussion with my coworker.

Me: ...Does [boss] have a customer in his office?
    Him: No, it's just us. Why?
    Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I can't really explain it, but I really, really needed to scream. Everyone (it was a small company) came running.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing remotely funny has ever happened in my job. I'm Jim Davidson.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A client once rang my office and when I asked for his name he said it was Jesus Christ, so thinking it was a hoax I put the phone down. I later found out he had changed his name by deed poll.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all of the above mentioned are "you had to be there" moments, and my one is no exception:

When I worked in Sainsburys Local I had a woman come in with an open bag of flour and an open bag of sugar. There was no one else in the store, she just came right up to the counter and asked "I'm making apple crumble at home and my scales are broken, do you mind if I use the scales on your till?"

And did you let her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    There's a website, by the way:
    http://notalwaysright.com/
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went arse over tit when putting in extensions today. The girls in the salon found it funny. Me not so much. I asked for a stool as my back was aching. I stood up did some more went to sit, someone had taken my stool/>:(
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    I went arse over tit when putting in extensions today. The girls in the salon found it funny. Me not so much. I asked for a stool as my back was aching. I stood up did some more went to sit, someone had taken my stool/>:(

Oh dear, as long as you're OK.

I've had some amusing encounters at work, some of our clients are/have been interesting to say the least. Ignoring stupid/ridiculous requests and people who are just funny or crazy in their personalities, a few that spring to mind are...

We had a client on the other side of the world, on the first meeting I had with him (video conferencing over Skype) he pops up... semi-dressed. He immediately said "it's 11pm here and I've only just gotten out of the shower, are you cool with this?"

My mind was saying "seriously?", my mouth went "yeah sure, no problem". So progressed the most inappropriate client meeting I've ever had.

He is a really cool guy though and was a great client, he on more than one occasion wandered around with his phone giving me "mini tours" of his house... like something out a movie; beautiful place overlooking a bay.

Another awkward one, well potentially...
    I had a client call me one evening, a woman, and I am pretty sure she was in the bath. I didn't dare (nor have the desire) to ask as it would have been really, really awkward if she was and I would have sounded weird if she wasn't.

Another one...
    We created the branding and a marketing campaign for an entrepreneurial guy. In the lead up to the launch of this start up company he said "ah I've got the car branded to promote us, the car is eye catching so it'll be good".

He then sent me a photo of a Lamborghini... defaced it was! :o:D:o

His reply to my "you did that to a flipping super car"... "yeah, it's only a car".

I know, the branding can be removed, it was just unexpected and I suspect more about showing me his Lambo than the fact he branded the thing.

ETA:
    I wasn't going to tell this one as it could sound cocky and show off'y but none the less, it's one of my highlights for several reasons, so I will.

I had done some work in the past for a very successful freelancer. One Saturday morning at about 10am I got a flustered, panicked call from him. Long conversation short, he had this client who had migrated to Amazon's cloud and he had somehow managed to delete their partition and it was unrecoverable, all he had was the sources and DB still on the old server.

To make matters worse, this client was VC backed (talking big money) so he was in deep shite.

I'm an artist, I personally have no idea how to setup cloud servers, I know general stuff; but most stuff is done by my admin who was away over the weekend and I couldn't get ahold of anyone capable, so if I took it on, it was down to me; and as far as he was concerned I was his only hope and nobody else was available on his end either.

I pretty much laughed at the idea of me doing this, he offered me any amount of money I wanted, I named a silly amount of money (sarcastically), he agreed, I questioned his seriousness, he was serious, I said yes, took a deep breath and into the depths of doing something and not having a clue what I'm doing.

Somehow, by a miracle, I managed to create an AWS partition, set it all up, get the database recovered, get the site uploaded and sorted in the same day; having never touched server setups in my life. How I do not know. I'm quite proud of that and made a few grand for a days work.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been known to play jokes on each other a fair bit. One time my mate left his car keys on his desk. It wasn't the first time he'd done it and we'd told him he shouldn't leave them lying around. On this occasion we moved his car from where it was right round to the car park on the other side of the building. When he walked out of work and his car wasn't there his face was priceless.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working with people with MH, drug and alcohol problems, most of our humour is of the bleak variety.

We used to have a client who had a strange reluctance to use the lav, he used to crap on the floor and blame his cat. When my mate slipped on a turd at his flat and had to go home and change her trousers, we found it hilarious. Cue many jokes of the "I hear X has been in the sh!t again" variety.

One colleague had so many clients die in the first few weeks he was with us, he was nicknamed Shipman. We got loads of laughs out of that, and any "challenging" client (no clients are difficult, merely challenging) was the subject of many mirthful attempts at horsetrading.

My co-workers all found it hilarious when a client tried to jump out of my moving car on a busy main road. They claimed it was down to my driving. I wasn't amused, it lead to loads of risk assessment and incident form-filling.

My best laugh was having a meeting with a very wrecked,disabled heroin addict in a room with glass doors , off an office that was being used temporarily by a very correct director who is a stickler for things being done properly. When the meeting was over, he got up to leave and his trousers fell down, in full view of the bossy boss.

Before I'd even got upstairs, she'd beaten me to it and demanded my boss speak to me about his inappropriate conduct. I got back in the office to find everyone shaking with silent laughter and I was nicknamed "Drop 'Em" for a few weeks.

If we had a thread of sad things that have happened at work, I could write a book.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    They're currently shooting the sequel to the series 'Twenty Twelve' in my building. That should be quite funny.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A restaurant I used to work at had a starter on the menu that included sliced beef tomato. A customer ordered it. I took him his starter and he called me over after a few minutes.

He complained that his beef tomato didn't contain any beef.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was working in an open plan office with phones going left right and centre. Someone rung me and eventually I said 'I really must go - we are really busy and I have my finger in the dyke (for those who don't know it used to be a well known expression with dyke referring to a construction to hold water). Fortunately the staunch lesbian activist working opposite saw the funny side of it :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The short version of the story is that I had a very annoying customer on the phone, while working tech support.
    I'm not sure if I could blame him or not; the problem was that he seemed to know nothing about computers other than using the single program he wanted help with. For example, he didn't know that the square things on the screen are called "windows", didn't know how to delete a file, or how to minimise a window etc. But I digress.

I had been on the phone with him for about 20 minutes, for a 1-minute job. After we hung up (once he realised that there was no way I could explain to him what to do) I had the following discussion with my coworker.

Me: ...Does [boss] have a customer in his office?
    Him: No, it's just us. Why?
    Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I can't really explain it, but I really, really needed to scream. Everyone (it was a small company) came running.

I phoned TalkTalk support desk for my dad, the guy at the end of the phone said he could only deal with the account holder so I gave the phone to my dad. After 2 minutes of trying to talk my dad through the computer checks the IT helpline guy was begging for me to take the phone back from my dad.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    We had a bunch of cleaners at our work and every morning, the one on the ground floor would clean the lift. Then she'd send it up to the first floor where the cleaner there would clean it, then she'd send it up to the next floor.

They used to drive their supervisor mad, no matter who many times it was explained to them it was the same lift they were all cleaning it just didn't sink in.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And did you let her?

I did!
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a bunch of cleaners at our work and every morning, the one on the ground floor would clean the lift. Then she'd send it up to the first floor where the cleaner there would clean it, then she'd send it up to the next floor.

They used to drive their supervisor mad, no matter who many times it was explained to them it was the same lift they were all cleaning it just didn't sink in.

Now that is funny!!!! :D