Anybody else irritated by the current Royal tour down under?

kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
Forum Member
I don't normally lay into the royal family as a rule, but for some reason, William and Kate grinning their way around New Zealand is really annoying me. No different to any tours by past royals of course, but I do wonder just what the reciprocal benefit is to the UK versus what it's costing.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't irritate me in the slightest as i haven't paid a jot of attention to it
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I've been abroad where there is zero coverage of it so haven't seen a thing. The only reason I know baby george has been working extremely hard and will need a holiday soon, as will his parents, is because of a DS thread a couple of days ago. Sounds like they're all grafting and I really think that people who are prepared to walk and talk, or indeed pick up a toy, for a living ought to be given a million pounds a minute and 380 days off a year. God bless 'em, every one!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it hasn't bothered me at all what has irritated a bit is the negativity about it, if people don't like it or them why not just ignore it ?
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Why would it bother anyone?? It's not as if there is wall to wall coverage?
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    I don't normally lay into the royal family as a rule, but for some reason, William and Kate grinning their way around New Zealand is really annoying me. No different to any tours by past royals of course, but I do wonder just what the reciprocal benefit is to the UK versus what it's costing.

My understanding is that New Zealand is paying for the trip.

From a recent article in the Daily Express ...

"Their visit, which will cost New Zealand taxpayers an estimated £500,000, will throw the international spotlight on the nation ..."
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know they were touring New Zealand! I don't take much notice of their holidays really.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    No it hasn't bothered me at all what has irritated a bit is the negativity about it, if people don't like it or them why not just ignore it ?

Well I watch the news and read the news websites etc, so when I do, they invariably pop up meaning that my best efforts to ignore them are for nought. So I see them grinning and pointing, and I just think, "Hey, there's Kate in her contrived nautical themed top for a nice day out on a boat no less" and then immediately afterwards "Who is paying for this lot?" i.e. taxpayers.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a blessed relief from the endless wall-to-wall coverage of the Pistorius trial.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Royal visits aren't necessarily about promoting the UK or doing it for the UK's benefit. On this occasion it's to promote NZ which, as part of the Commonwealth, is part of the remit of the Royal Family. As such the tour is being funded by the NZ Govt. (read: taxpayer). So, no reason for you to feel at all irritated really. (Unless you pay tax in NZ, I suppose.)
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it really gets my hakas up
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Seems like the tour has gone down a bit better than my thread then :D

"MODS!!"
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Royal visits aren't necessarily about promoting the UK or doing it for the UK's benefit. On this occasion it's to promote NZ which, as part of the Commonwealth, is part of the remit of the Royal Family. As such the tour is being funded by the NZ Govt. (read: taxpayer). So, no reason for you to feel at all irritated really. (Unless you pay tax in NZ, I suppose.)
    I have nothing to add really, this just about covers it....

It is also quite obviously beneficial to maintain strong ties to other countries in that part of the world and these visits help cement that relationship.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I love all the pictures of little George, he's such a cutie.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

Indeed. This trip is getting headlines around the world. It's the sort of global promotion of NZ that is priceless and shows that the country isn't just full of hobbits and dwarves.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Indeed. This trip is getting headlines around the world. It's the sort of global promotion of NZ that is priceless and shows that the country isn't just full of hobbits and dwarves.
    At least not all the time... :D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like the tour has gone down a bit better than my thread then :D

"MODS!!"

Haha!

Dont go turning into one of them sad sacks now!
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    There are people on Facebook commenting on a photo of Kate holding George and criticising what her elbow looks like! :o
    Seriously WTF?!
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's a blessed relief from the endless wall-to-wall coverage of the Pistorius trial.

Totally agree. If Reeva Steenkamp had simply taken a shit with the door open, then none of this palaver would be happening.
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. If Reeva Steenkamp had simply taken a shit with the door open, then none of this palaver would be happening.

I'm not convinced that would be the case myself......
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I watch the news and read the news websites etc, so when I do, they invariably pop up meaning that my best efforts to ignore them are for nought. So I see them grinning and pointing, and I just think, "Hey, there's Kate in her contrived nautical themed top for a nice day out on a boat no less" and then immediately afterwards "Who is paying for this lot?" i.e. taxpayers.

I do the same but somehow manage not to get irritated by the Kardashians and other celebs I just don't read past the headline. As for who is paying I believe NZ is so it's not something we need to worry about although looking at how many people are getting joy out of their trip it wouldn't bother me if we were paying for it.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not convinced that would be the case myself......

Meh, take it up with garrygwizz on Sickipedia.
    Forum Member
    Meh, take it up with garrygwizz on Sickipedia.

:p
    Meh to you too!
    My son quite likes that site. But in his defence he is only 19 ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I change channel as soon as I see their grins pop up.

I have nothing against the royal family but I wish they'd go away.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »

And stop paying them with OUR money?

If they wish to be private then live privately and don't take public money or else people will have a vested interest in what it's being spent on.