Brown - not going to the Olympics Opening Ceremony now.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
Forum Member
Just heard this on C4 news now, and I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT A DITHERER BROWN IS.

Does he know his own mind on anything?

His last U-turn was the embryo vote. It's no wonder members of his party want him to change his mind on 10p tax, he goes with the wind . He is totally inconsistent.

I just can't believe it, honestly. What will he back down on next, ID cards have already gone on the back burner....

Bottler, ditherer, whatever - he is hopeless!

No doubt his new, super-expensive PR guru will spin this to show what an iron man he is. Good luck.

Comments

• bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His last U-turn was the embryo vote. It's no wonder members of his party want him to change his mind on 10p tax, he goes with the wind . He is totally inconsistent.

I just can't believe it, honestly. What will he back down on next, ID cards have already gone on the back burner....

No doubt his new, super-expensive PR guru will spin this to show what an iron man he is. Good luck.

But Tessa Jowell going in his place:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    damn, I thought a ticket was going spare
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well let's face it he only has 25 months at most to dither!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    It reminds me of the farce with signing the EU constitution. Do we have a Global leader to represent us, or Howard Hughes going mad in the attic. I think he's making the country a laughing stock.

The excuse that taxpayers won't get value for money / global warming is the biggest load of crap ever. Where's the value for money from the Iraq war, flying troops back and forth etc. They'll say anything :sleep:

Oh well, at least Tessa Jowell could have a jolly. Take her mind off the new neighbours - the Chinese could give her a few tips about how to move them on. But how is she going in a way that represents value for money? on a pack of Camels?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical Brown fudge - "I'm not going to the opening ceremony but I'll go to the closing" - which, of course, gives him the opportunity to see how it goes. If it is successful and the UK wins medals, he can go basking in the glory - if it's a disaster he can stay in hiding.

See the "Constitution" signing - "I'll sign it, but not at the start"
  • Donny_Odd_LegsDonny_Odd_Legs Posts: 416
    Forum Member

Err, a politician changes his mind largely on the basis of public opinion, and you say this is a bad thing?

If only politicians ignored the public and stuck things through no matter if they were wrong, is that what you want? :rolleyes: Sorry, its pretty obvious you don't have a clue what you want, apart from to moan.

Its a good decision from Gordon Brown, thank goodness minimalistmatt isn't in charge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Well I did want a moan, but it has always been said that he was going, they played his comments (made when Sarkozy was here) that he would be at the ceremonies.

Changing your mind is often really sensible, but Mr Brown likes to posture with Lady Thatcher ("U-turn if you want to...." / The Iron Lady) when he is nothing like her. Does he believe in a free Tibet? Apparently the reason he isn't going has nothing to do with public opinion anyhow.

Thank goodness I'm not in charge, well yes I agree. But I have a vote and an opinion - I am not saying I should be prime minister am I ?

And as for politicians changing their mind due to public opinion, well I wish they would. Our local post office closed down 3 weeks ago, nobody wanted it to. Our MP (labour) repeatedly voted with the government to back the closures - whilst campaigning in our village to keep it open.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What message is he sending out? There is no requirement for any politician to go other than the Mayor of London to accept the handover. The closing ceremony is still a huge event and he will be meeting and endorsing his Chinese counterparts in a purely social situation. I'm confused as to what this means Britain stands for over Tibet and other human rights issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should have been a bus driver. The amount of time his bus has beeped it's reverse warning is beyond belief.
  • JazzyPJazzyP Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the phrase 'in office but not in power' comes to mind with Gordon Brown.....
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UTTER NONSENSE

he NEVER indicated he was going to the opening ceremony, only the closing ceremony!

get your facts right
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is he again?
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    He wasn't going in the first place, the media just didn't bother reporting it and then made it look like a u-turn.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure they will miss the presence of his company;)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I presume Brown has to go to the closing ceremony when London (as host for 2012) will have a slot to herald the 2012 Games and the host city. It would be hilarious to see Boris Johnson receiving the flag from the Mayor of Peking as they hand over the Games to London in the stadium.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Brown has made the right decision in not attending the opening ceremony, imo he shouldn't attend the closing ceremony either. The IOC have made a huge mistake in awarding the games to one of the most oppresive regimes in the world. The only reason western countries are not boycotting the games is because they are frightened of missing out on lucrative trade deals. Human rights come a poor second to making a profit.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I think Brown has made the right decision in not attending the opening ceremony, imo he shouldn't attend the closing ceremony either.

But the closing ceremony is also London's showcase too - someone from London (probably Mayor Boris:D) has to be there to accept the Olympic flag and lots of young Londoners will have to perform in the display. I cannot see how Brown can miss the closing ceremony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    But the closing ceremony is also London's showcase too - someone from London (probably Mayor Boris:D) has to be there to accept the Olympic flag and lots of young Londoners will have to perform in the display. I cannot see how Brown can miss the closing ceremony.

Sadly I agee, it's a dilema innit! Awarding the games to China has, and will continue to cause lots of embarrassement and there is bound to be more trouble in the pipeline for the Chinese authorities from demonstrators before and during the games. This will only tarnish the name of the Olympic Games even more.

I don't want the games in 2012, it's a disgraceful waste of money. Undoubtedly the games will generate income but the disruption and cost just isn't worth it and when it's over what on earth are Eastenders going to do with an Olympic velodrome?

I think there are a lot of French people who were relieved when London won the bid.

I hope Boris is the next Mayor btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Sadly I agee, it's a dilema innit! Awarding the games to China has, and will continue to cause lots of embarrassement and there is bound to be more trouble in the pipeline for the Chinese authorities from demonstrators before and during the games. This will only tarnish the name of the Olympic Games even more.

I don't want the games in 2012, it's a disgraceful waste of money. Undoubtedly the games will generate income but the disruption and cost just isn't worth it and when it's over what on earth are Eastenders going to do with an Olympic velodrome?

I think there are a lot of French people who were relieved when London won the bid.

I hope Boris is the next Mayor btw.

An American Mayor in London is just what the Olympics need - Boris dressed as Uncle Sam at the opening ceremony, should bring the stadium down.