How do jobless people in the countryside sign on?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Picture this, you don't drive and you live in the middle of nowhere that doesn't have a bus service or even a Jobcentre for 50 miles how do you sign on? Do you really have to make a 100 mile round trip in a taxi to get your dole?

Comments

• Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    By post.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i live only 5 miles away but we have a very iffy bus service. and offcourse to get a job you need public transport.. but its not the signing on there that the problems its the monthly going to the JSA monthly meeting yu have to do, in my case it was a round trip of 24 miles and there is no public transport direct there
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to walk 3 miles, any farther away or if you physically cant and you can do it by post.
  • gem2626gem2626 Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I don't think there is anywhere in the UK that is that remote that you'd have a 50 mile journey to get to the 'local' job centre.

No I haven't! Probably better to avoid the job centre they mostly talk s**t.
  • j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no unemployed people in the countryside, they are quite wealthy.
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    It's 12 miles and 2 buses to our nearest job centre. The buses at the other end are fairly regular but the ones serving our village only come through every 45 minutes and timing can be unreliable. Realistically, allowing for waiting time/connections plus the actual run you're looking at 90 mins to 2 hours each way.
  • gem2626gem2626 Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Do the job centre pay you extra money to get there if you live far away?
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    It's 12 miles and 2 buses to our nearest job centre. The buses at the other end are fairly regular but the ones serving our village only come through every 45 minutes and timing can be unreliable. Realistically, allowing for waiting time/connections plus the actual run you're looking at 90 mins to 2 hours each way.

Do you have to go there to sign on? Or can you do it by post?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gem2626 wrote: »
    I don't think there is anywhere in the UK that is that remote that you'd have a 50 mile journey to get to the 'local' job centre.
    You've obviously never been to northern Scotland, especially in the islands. Some jobcentres are a day trip away.
  • Flossie64Flossie64 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I sign on at a Network Centre.. My fortnightly trip to the Job Centre is a 52 mile round trip, i get my train fare back..
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gem2626 wrote: »
    Do the job centre pay you extra money to get there if you live far away?
    They do, if you live more than a certain distance away. If it is too far you can sign on by post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here it would be a 50 mile round trip.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    husted wrote: »
    Do you have to go there to sign on? Or can you do it by post?

I'm not sure, I've been lucky enough never to have been out of work. There used to be one in a town about 5 miles away but they closed it a few years back. I know folk have to check in regularly for meetings/interviews but I'm not sure about signing on itself. I'll ask my mum, she used to work there.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    j4the1 wrote: »
    There are no unemployed people in the countryside, they are quite wealthy.

I know plenty of poor Londoners now living in the countryside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a cross etched with mud.:D
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    They do, if you live more than a certain distance away. If it is too far you can sign on by post.

And the certain distance is? Is there a regulation for this?
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure I agree with distance issue, its as much the public transport in your area, depends on if you can get to a sign on, at the time they set.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely they should have something set up that you can sign on online if you are too far from your jobcentre
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    surely they should have something set up that you can sign on online if you are too far from your jobcentre

No you have to physically sign a piece of paper, well you did last time I was in one.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Carrier pigeon
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go via horse and cart, or if it was a sunny day I'd often go horse back.