Options

11-5-1985

HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
Forum Member
Bradford City

EDIT: porkpie is probably right so be warned: distressing scenes.

Comments

• Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's the video I think it might be, I think a warning should be posted with it, not nice viewing at all. Horrific tragedy, made all the worse because of the exits at the back of the stand being locked. I seem to remember a story about a woman helping her grandkids to safety, but had to find another way out for herself, and she lost her life. Horrible.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    The Bradford fire was as bad as Hillsbrough in my opinion i have seen the footage before and it is shocking and it must of been one of the most horrendous ways possible to die it seems to be the forgotten tragedy in many ways and it shouldn't be the case RIP to all those who lost there lives and best wishes to all those who are still suffering from the effects of the Bradford fire today.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the way that stand just went up in what seemed seconds,
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Agreed.

There's a longer version of that video that I watched a while back but it's now been censored. The horrifying thing was the rapidity with which the fire took hold and spread. It was an inferno within minutes.
  • Options
    Stilton CheesewStilton Cheesew Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    The Bradford fire was as bad as Hillsbrough in my opinion i have seen the footage before and it is shocking and it must of been one of the most horrendous ways possible to die it seems to be the forgotten tragedy in many ways and it shouldn't be the case RIP to all those who lost there lives and best wishes to all those who are still suffering from the effects of the Bradford fire today.

I find it odd that Hillsborough needs to be mentioned at all, not just by you here but by most people when discussing Bradford. Bradford was a tragedy but I don't think it has been forgotten any more than the Ibrox disaster or the Munich plane crash. Obviously the clubs involved with each tragedy will lend it a certain profile but Hillsborough is a completely different thing for obvious reasons. Had the police started the Bradford fire, blamed the fans and then spent almost 30 years denying it then it would have the same profile as Hillsborough I'm sure, and had Hillsborough not had those things happen then it would probably be marked in the same way as other disasters and be fairly low key in the news by now.

These things become distant in peoples minds as time passes unless there is a reason for it not to be, that's just the way life goes, I'm sure no one means any disrespect.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's that forgotten anymore. In recent years it's gotten coverage whenever the anniversary comes around. Maybe clubs should have had a minutes' silence for it though. It might not have had the same publicity as some others but people recognise it for the horrible tragedy it is.

As said above I don't know why Hillsborough (and Heysel) get mentioned whenever the anniversary for the Bradford City fire comes around. I don't like the idea of comparing tragedies, or thinking one gets an unfair amount of publicity compared to another. It's disrespectful to both tragedies, the one being compared to and the one being discussed. They should be respected and viewed in isolation. It's not a competition.

It's sad that these kind of disasters have had to happen for football to improve to become the way it is now.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    I was at Birmingham v leeds that day and after gsme a 15 year old leeds fan attended his first ever game died after a wall fell on him
    What an awful day that was all round
    Rip to the 57 fans who went to a game and didn't come home thst day :(