Manager Merry go around has already started?

13»

Comments

• Mark FMark F Posts: 53,969
    Forum Member
    Not sure he'd want to work in the Pozzo system anyway..
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Rodgers has been Watford manager and left rather acrimoniously. They wouldn't have him back.

Well then his options at a top level club are narrowing day by day it seems then, perhaps a Championship club will offer him his next managerial job back in football?
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I think your both wrong personally....it's the Everton fans that don't want him, because of his connection to LFC and comments he has made about EFC in the past, I very much doubt the LFC fans would actually really care.

As for the Hillsborough family links, the connection is there between both clubs, football rivalry is irrelevant regarding the tragedy, it effects the city as whole.

You think LFC fans would not care if Rafa became EFC manager - all I can say is that you cannot know many LFC fans
    Alan, how did that look in doubt? Certainly as a Chelsea fan I never thought so. We were in exactly the same league position (3rd) when he took over as we were when the season ended. The difference being we went from being 4 points off the top when RDM left to being 14 points behind by the end of Rafa's tenure.

Fair enough you will know more of the ins and outs of the CFC situation he inherited and maybe it was a bad decision to sack RDM, who knows. All I do know is that under RDM CFC had not done well in Europe (CL group stage) and when Rafa was manager that changed (he is better at European comps than domestic ones). His PL record at CFC was OK with many good results but also silly points dropped like at home to QPR if I remember rightly but you were never going to win the PL that season and he at least made sure you got into the top 4 safely - which at the end of the season with the inevitable fixture pile up due to the EL campaign and FAC semi final involvement could have been a problem.
    Personally I don't think it was a virtually impossible job at all. He had enough games to keep them up, but they only won 2 in 9. Drawing at home to Sunderland, losing at Norwich, drawing at already relegated Villa.... just not good enough results at the end of the day. Perhaps his lack of experience in being involved in a relegation battle didn't help, but the writing wasn't already on the wall for Newcastle when he took over.

Probably fair enough again in that as NUFC boss he has had a few poor results (the ones you highlight) and if they had gone his way the story could have been different but I think moistly under Rafa NUFC have been a bit better I think NUFCs big mistake was hiring SMc. It was a strange one - he was poor at Derby a Championship team and yet pre season was rated a shoe in for the NUFC job which he duly got. Was his agent a mate of Mike Ashley? :D
    How sad to see Hillsborough being brought up as a reason why Benitez wouldn't go near Everton. The one thing which has seen rivalries put aside for the greater good and where the city of Liverpool came together as one is still being used for the purposes of division. Ok maybe he wouldn't manage Everton I dont know for certain but Im reasonably sure you dont either. The reason I mentioned Chelsea was not to compare rivalries , but to show that Im sure people would have said it was a no-no until it actually happened.

I also note that that you mention instances of "people" going between Liverpool and Chelsea but focus on 'managers" managing both Liverpool and Everton. Why ignore players? Is it because you dont actually dislike Peter Beardsley who made the crossover? Or how about the late Gary Ablett? Did Liverpool erase these guys from their memory when the crossed the divide? Abel Xavier, Nick Barmby also played for both. Its far from taboo for people to be associated with both sides of the fence.

In each of the managerial instances I have acknowledged that its possible to mitigate his departures from almost all the clubs but what I was trying to say was that in at least a couple of those appointments his back was against the wall from day one. He was hated at Chelsea but he still took the job. Its far from impossible that he would be interested in Everton if they were interested in him thats aside from how either set of fans would feel about it.

EFC have been fantastic over Hillsborough, far better than any other club, nobody least of all me has ever said otherwise. What I am saying is that the Hillsborough families are all LFC fans and they have in many cases become close friends with both Rafa and Montse his wife over the years and I think some of them may find it hard to accept him as the manager of the local rivals.

I do think the rivalries are different in nature - with MUFC it is often pure hatred (why that is the case is another debate and I will not comment here on it except to say that imo there are clearly faults on both sides) and nobody would ever be associated with both clubs. With EFC it is also very intense but players have been at both clubs and that is not really a problem and also there can be split families. With CFC it is not really a rivalry tbh, maybe under Jose it was a bit of an issue with his constant digs at Rafa and the 'ghost goal' ...etc but now he has gone I think it is all pretty normal. No current CFC figure stirs up any big emotion from LFC fans and I think most LFC fans will totally respect Hiddink (who doesn't?). Maybe some of the CFC fans can annoy LFC fans at times with some of their attitudes - I hasten to add that does not apply to any DS CFC fans (before any of you get too on my case!!), it is just what is seen and heard at SB sometimes.

In conclusion I think time will tell that I will be proved right but if Rafa ended up as EFC boss I will be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafa says there's a "good chance" he'll remain at Newcastle
    Speaking for the first time since their relegation was confirmed in midweek, Benitez said: "We want a strong team to be promoted to the Premier League again as soon as possible and that is the situation now.

"We have to talk, we will have more meetings and then we will see what happens.

"What we said in this meeting is 'we will have more meetings' so it was very positive in terms of the things we were discussing and I can say to the fans that we will continue.

"I am quite happy with everything here. Can we improve things? Can we change some things? Then it will be easier for me to make a decision. Obviously these conversations are with this idea.

"We are working as professionals and we are talking and I think in a couple of weeks maximum, maybe, we will have an idea.

"But if I am here and I am discussing these things it's because in my head it's a chance, it's a good chance."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3590421/Rafa-reveals-good-chance-stay-Newcastle.html
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On sunday supplement there was mention in the papers of Everton going after josè after man u dither over him. New billionaire owner so who knows, maybe José fancies a challenge especially if he's given the funds to go for the title.
  • Stilton CheesewStilton Cheesew Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'll also notice he mentioned discussions taking "a couple of weeks" i.e come and get me now if you're interested. He also refused to rule out an interest in the Everton job when he was asked about it.

If a better offer comes in the next 2 weeks Im sure he'd be off.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I can see him stalling, just waiting for the offers to come in, then he will pick the best one, and he will be off.

I really cannot see him willing to subject himself to managing anywhere but in the top division, wherever he goes.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    On sunday supplement there was mention in the papers of Everton going after josè after man u dither over him. New billionaire owner so who knows, maybe José fancies a challenge especially if he's given the funds to go for the title.

Don't think for a second we will get him, but it would be stupid not to speak to him and see where he is at.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was a Middlesbrough fan ( or Steve Gibson even!) , I'd go and get Rafa now

Good and successful managers in the Championship don't always equate to good and successful in the PL

Add to the fact that the current incumbent seems a tad emotional......
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    delete wrong thread