Idina Menzel backs a girlfriend for Elsa in Frozen 2

Comments

• acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    To say theres "no hint" of Elsa being gay is pushing it a bit...

What hints were there? :confused:
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    She wasn't interested in any of the men which pretty much always is a major plot in Disney films.

She wasn't interested in anyone.

I assumed her to be asexual and that's how I would I like the character to stay.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    People saying about the Disney prince. As many of them are based on fairytales they're not going to change them just for the sake of it.

In the Snow Queen Kay and Gerda were best friends, not lovers so the sister dynamic was just a slight variation of it.

I'm more than happy for Disney to bring in a same sex couple, just not with already established characters where there's been no hint of it beforehand.

Is this serious? Frozen is very loosely based on The Snow Queen. Disney change elements of fairy tales all the time and major elements at that. Did you forget how Ariel lived at the end of the Little Mermaid and how Elsa is not a villain?

There is no hint that she's not gay. Do gay characters need a neon sign to appear above them saying they are gay from the first time they appear on screen. Ever heard of character development or revealing things slowly?
  • bahbahbahbah Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lesbian Elsa can we please 'let it go!!!'.😁
    Seriously as per the other thread, create a new main character who is gay, and so not to pander to straight male fantasies make him a handsome gay Prince. If you want a female gay model just create a new character.
    I've always hated d the media hype with this film, it was good but there are much much better Disney films, the let it go song is the worst song from the film - it's just a power anthem song (Americans love that crap) and whilst I was delighted that Anna and Elsa had sister power and didn't need a man to save them, I was disappointed that Anna still fell in love with a guy in the end (I guess that ticked the ugly guy box and personality over looks).

Like I said if it wasn't the media constantly brainwashing the world into believing this film and song is amazing, the film would quietly disappear. My children liked this film, got the toys and got over it as per other Disney films. There are other films that they choose to watch again and again, frozen is not.one of them.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    acid rain wrote: »
    She wasn't interested in anyone.

I assumed her to be asexual and that's how I would I like the character to stay.
    That is what is been said on a few Asexual fourms I'm part of.

I still wouldn't care if they made her lesbian.
    Forum Member
    Is this serious? Frozen is very loosely based on The Snow Queen. Disney change elements of fairy tales all the time and major elements at that. Did you forget how Ariel lived at the end of the Little Mermaid and how Elsa is not a villain?

There is no hint that she's not gay. Do gay characters need a neon sign to appear above them saying they are gay from the first time they appear on screen. Ever heard of character development or revealing things slowly?

In the Sleeping Beauty book The Prince found her in the forest then raped her while she was still asleep and she gave birth to twins again while still asleep I think Disney left that bit out.

A lot of books Disney fairytails would be 18 rated if they kept to the book.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People, especially kids, seem to really identify with Elsa though, so I can see why fandom campaigners have latched on.

Personally, I thought Frozen was a very average movie and often rather dull. I honestly believe if not for Let It Go and Elsa's awesome sparkly dress it would not have been even half as popular as it is.

I really enjoyed frozen, but i dont understand the hype behind it and why its the most sucessful disney film ever. Lets face it, let it go is the only good song in the film. Tangled, zootropolis, big hero six, wreck it ralph and the princess and the frog were all way better
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a child's POV there's very little.

I'm 36 and gay, and saw nothing in the film to say she was a lesbian
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    For F*** sake!

Yes, I'm all for equal opportunity. But, trying to twist around something to serve a PC agenda is simply wrong. If it isn't squelched we'll likely end up with Jane Bond and Mr Marple movies!
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I'm 36 and gay, and saw nothing in the film to say she was a lesbian

Good on you for posting!
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For F*** sake!

the easy option for disney

how about a film with two prince charmings?
  • MadBettyMadBetty Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    By that logic no disney princess should have a boyfriend either.

Why not? children will see that as normal without questioning it, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

All this is being done simply to appeal to the same-sex lobby - this show is for kids, not adults.
    Forum Member
    MadBetty wrote: »
    Why not? children will see that as normal without questioning it, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

All this is being done simply to appeal to the same-sex lobby - this show is for kids, not adults.

So you brainwash the little girls into thinking having having her Prince is normal and all that matters and without him she's nothing (Well using the anti LGTB logic)

And what about the gay kids all it it tells them is they are not normal.

When I was a kid my Mum had gay friends I saw them together all them time I never questioned it or thought it wasn't normal it was just 2 people together only thing that did confuse me is why they couldn't get married as I did ask them if they were going to.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't going to happen, Disney aren't going to halve the potential box office takings for the sake of virtue signalling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you brainwash the little girls into thinking having having her Prince is normal and all that matters and without him she's nothing (Well using the anti LGTB logic)

And what about the gay kids all it it tells them is they are not normal.

When I was a kid my Mum had gay friends I saw them together all them time I never questioned it or thought it wasn't normal it was just 2 people together only thing that did confuse me is why they couldn't get married as I did ask them if they were going to.

'Gay kids'...? are you seriously telling me 6 and 7 year old children have sexual inclinations?:o

I can tell you're not a parent.

I believe there are some adults who prefer to believe that young children do....it is people like yourself who try to brainwash >:(

I wish people like you would leave the innocence of childhood well alone.
    Forum Member
    'Gay kids'...? are you seriously telling me 6 and 7 year old children have sexual inclinations?:o

I believe there are some adults who prefer to believe this....>:(

Yes ask any gay they knew at that time they were gay.

I knew I was diffrent to (Asexual) it's just something you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ask any gay they knew at that time they were gay.

I knew I was diffrent to (Asexual) it's just something you know.

I did not know I was heterosexual until I hit puberty and sexual awareness and choice kicked in....gays must be different then. Which is something they claim not to be.
    Forum Member
    I did not know I was heterosexual until I hit puberty and sexual awareness and choice kicked in....gays must be different then. Which is something they claim not to be.

Some people are slow starters when I was at school infants and junior many kids had boyfriends and girlfriends.

That was one of the reasons I knew I was diffrent.

But the Disney films still feed it into girls heads they need a Prince in their life many girls that age dress up as a Princess and wait for their Prince.

So why not cut both out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are slow starters when I was at school infants and junior many kids had boyfriends and girlfriends.

That was one of the reasons I knew I was diffrent.

But the Disney films still feed it into girls heads they need a Prince in their life many girls that age dress up as a Princess and wait for their Prince.

So why not cut both out?

Because the continuation of the species has always been about and always will be about the coupling of male and female.

Any parents out there whose 5 or 6 year old child is in a relationship? no, I thought not...don't know what school you went to but it sounds like the children were overtly sexualised and at-risk.

I suggest you stick to grown-up stuff and leave Disney for the kids. You're coming across as rather creepy to be honest.
  • Bored_At_WorkBored_At_Work Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    It's funny... Homosexuality is observed in every species ..

... Yet homophobia is only observed in one... humans!!! and we are meant to be the intelligent species!!!

So what if they make Elsa gay... or any other character gay. Surely for children to see that same sex relationships are normal is a good thing! Just like having a black princess or a muslim princess which nobody has an issue with.

It's not as if the characters are going to be recreating scenes out of Queer as Folk, at most its a kiss and a wedding!!
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can tell you're not a parent.

I believe there are some adults who prefer to believe that young children do....it is people like yourself who try to brainwash >:(

I wish people like you wouldn't become bent out of shape when it comes to this subject. I knew I wasn't straight when I was a kid and most of the gay people I know say the same thing.
    Forum Member
    Because the continuation of the species has always been about and always will be about the coupling of male and female.

And there we have YOUR real problem you don't care how overly sexual and in your face a relationship is it is as long as it's male and female.

Kids can understand from any age that but can not understand same sex relationships.
    Forum Member
    It's funny... Homosexuality is observed in every species ..

... Yet homophobia is only observed in one... humans!!! and we are meant to be the intelligent species!!!

So what if they make Elsa gay... or any other character gay. Surely for children to see that same sex relationships are normal is a good thing! Just like having a black princess or a muslim princess which nobody has an issue with.

It's not as if the characters are going to be recreating scenes out of Queer as Folk, at most its a kiss and a wedding!!

I think homophobes think more about gay sex than the homosexuals do they seem a bit well very obsessed with it.

If they have a same sex couple on screen it all of a sudden comes down to they will show them having sex rather than just a relationship.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Adults forcing their issues onto children. Kids don't think about relationship and sexual identity issues when at the cinema - leave it out ffs.

Yeah. The problem is Disney's Frozen is aimed at KIDS not adults. Its a cartoon so technically its not real. Now if kids in later life want to be interested in the same gender thats up to them but the fact the film is more for 3 - 9 yr olds and people wanting a gay princess is silly.

Sounds a case of preaching gays/Lesbiens on kids at a early age. Plenty of friends are into the same gender and even they think its silly.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    bahbah wrote: »
    create a new main character who is gay, and so not to pander to straight male fantasies make him a handsome gay Prince. If you want a female gay model just create a new character.

Considering the film is aimed at young children I dont really see why we need it.