Parks & Recreation DAVE

Comments

• montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was weird how much the actress who played the journalist in the second episode sounded and (to a lesser degree) looked like Sandra Bullock! She was cute in a slightly dorky way just like Sandra is as well.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I tried, but gave up after ten minutes, it seemed so laboured.

Quite. Started watching the first episode on iPlayer, someone came into the room and asked me something so I paused it, couldn't be bothered to restart it. Didn't laugh once, the whole thing seemed to be set up in the weird "are we looking to the camera Miranda-style or not" style which isn't quite sure if it's a sitcom or a commentary on sitcoms, and sometime around the "guy at meeting hitting on woman in the audience" scene I lost the will to live.

Perhaps the second series is better. It could hardly be worse. Shite.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK, but The Office has a lot answer for, the acceptance of the Mockumentary format as a vehicle that suits writers too lazy or unskilled to write a conventional Sit-Com is rather worrying.

Take away this aspect of P&R, the knowing looks to camera, the embarrassed silences, the cut away look, and it reveals the paucity of stand alone funny lines.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Jeez, some people sure are unforgiving with giving sitcoms a chance! Ten minutes?!? How can you even begin to form an opinion of a tv show (especially one that's already been running for 4 seasons already) after 10 minutes??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    Jeez, some people sure are unforgiving with giving sitcoms a chance! Ten minutes?!? How can you even begin to form an opinion of a tv show (especially one that's already been running for 4 seasons already) after 10 minutes??

If you watch an episode and there isn't a single laugh. It's reasonable to decide it's crap and drop it. If there's a few chuckles, I'd keep it up for a few more and see if it improves...

Thankfully, I was very generous with 30 Rock and kept it up for the entirety of it's appalling first season...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Caught the end of this when I switched over for The Art Of Tommy Cooper.

It's a rip-off of The Office.

Actually, in my opinion, it's more inspired by Arrested Development.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    jewelleryq wrote: »
    OK. Parks and Recreation = Funny.

Being Eileen = Garbage

Fine example of why people should give it up with the comparison game, especially when the shows bare no comparison in format/style.

I actually raised a smile at Being Eileen, wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again though, laughed once watching this, I'm more likely to watch Being Eileen again, than this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sticking with it, found bits funny.
  • GlenLGlenL Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the first episode was OK, not great but not terrible either.
    The 2nd episode was a lot better.

The painting/mural of the native American chieftan about to be executed by cannon had me in bits :D

Will definately be watching next week.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    I watched the first season online when it was first on in America and it was awful so I stopped watching. I'll give it another go to see if the buzz is right and it really does start to improve.

I watched it again and it was quite a bit better than I remember, I'm probably just more receptive now because I've been told how good it gets in future seasons. Still, I'll certainly stick with it this time around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    GlenL wrote: »
    Thought the first episode was OK, not great but not terrible either.
    The 2nd episode was a lot better.

The painting/mural of the native American chieftan about to be executed by cannon had me in bits :D

Will definately be watching next week.

Total agreement...the mural discussion made md laugh out loud too!!
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep.Liked it; watched all four episodes back to back on i-Player. Laughed out loud at the murals. And I'm hooked on the theme tune.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking it. Having worked in P&R over here some of the similarities are hilarious. Guess local government is the same all over the world. Loved the mural too :-)
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first season was badly affected by the writer's strike, so it seems quite redundant to complain about it. Just give it time and I'm sure most people that are criticising it here will love it. And the more you watch the show, the less you'll think it is like The Office.

I personally loved the second and third seasons. Season four was also very good. I've only seen the first episode of the fifth season as I've heard it gets worse so I'll take my time with that.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    The first season was badly affected by the writer's strike, so it seems quite redundant to complain about it. Just give it time and I'm sure most people that are criticising it here will love it. And the more you watch the show, the less you'll think it is like The Office.

I personally loved the second and third seasons. Season four was also very good. I've only seen the first episode of the fifth season as I've heard it gets worse so I'll take my time with that.

Season 5 is my second favourite season after Season 3, and I've only read good things about it, episode 14 is my favourite episode of the entire series and a real gift to all Parks and Rec fans, you really should watch it.
  • off the pageoff the page Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    just stumbled across this on BBC4, not having heard of it before. Caught an episode last week, and two this week. It's very funny, in an understated kind of way.

And the characters and their relationships actually appear three dimensional.

Can't believe I had to dig this thread up from a week ago. Hope viewing figures pick up!
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed tonight's episodes, and it keeps on getting better from there. Hopefully people have stuck with it (although going off its threads on here they haven't :() and if you haven't I'd strongly recommend watching tonight's episodes on iplayer.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i've been following and enjoying didn't realise there was a thread for it, i went to ustv to look for one and came up blank!
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoying it, find it funny, but it's also very tame compared to UK comedy - no rudeness, swearing or bluntness....Seems a bit of a kids show to me!
    Still enjoy it
  • Abigail88Abigail88 Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a mixture of Modern Family and The Office. I like it!
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely love this show. Watched the first 4 seasons on netflix :)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really into P&R :) One thing I've spotted are unexpectedly British reference points - tonight the peerless Squeeze got a name check - they had some cult success in the States about 25 years ago
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I just love this show. The mural episode last night was the funniest programme I've watched in ages!
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I love this show so much. I watched all four seasons in a matter of weeks on Netflix, and now I've had to start 'obtaining' Season 5. Great show.

"Dammit Jerry!"