The Late Late Show with James Corden – weeknights at 12:35am on CBS

Comments

• NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like James Corden is taking an extended summer break from The Late Late Show.

He’s currently back in the UK (he’s been at various events over the past week or so, as well as collecting his OBE) and is currently recording a new series of Sky 1’s A League of Their Own at Elstree Studios. Series 9 (recorded late last year) is currently airing on Sky so I’m assuming this is series 10? And as Sky air normally broadcast one series a year this might be for broadcast on 2016 unless there’s going to be two series this year...
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, he was spotted at Glastonbury. The last time he took a break he came over to the UK for the BAFTA TV Awards. It's funny that he comes over but doesn't make any tv appearances, even just for a chat. Will he be appearing on anything whilst over here? Wouldn't mind hearing from him how things have gone for him now that he's relocated and working in America.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Yeah, he was spotted at Glastonbury. The last time he took a break he came over to the UK for the BAFTA TV Awards. It's funny that he comes over but doesn't make any tv appearances, even just for a chat. Will he be appearing on anything whilst over here? Wouldn't mind hearing from him how things have gone for him now that he's relocated and working in America.

He was also spotted at Ascot.
    When he was last back in the UK (for the BAFTAs as you said) he was only here for 1 day, in fact he was on a plane for longer than he was in the UK. This time he’s over here for 3 weeks, but I’m not aware of him appearing anywhere on TV.
    To be honest I was surprised he was recording a series of A League of Their Own while he’s over here, I thought it would be a holiday and not a working holiday, especially as the next series of A League of Their Own isn’t due to be broadcast until 2016.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    To be honest I was surprised he was recording a series of A League of Their Own while he’s over here, I thought it would be a holiday and not a working holiday, especially as the next series of A League of Their Own isn’t due to be broadcast until 2016.

It might be the only time he gets off between now and Xmas to film the Sky1 show maybe. 3 weeks is a decent break but i imagine he'll spend most of it cooped up in a television studio. Do you know who his guests are once he returns?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know who his guests are once he returns?

For The Late Late Show? No, new shows don’t return until mid/late July so it’s too early for guests to have been announced (or even booked in some cases).

But there should be some big names being lined up for September. That’s when the new ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’ premiers on CBS at 11:30pm, which will get a lot of promotion and publicity, so ‘The Late Late Show with James Corden’ will want to capitalise on that lead-in. So expect some big shows around that time, and that will be good if the rumours of Sky One showing the show from the Autumn are true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An article on the Broadcast website about how Sky 1 are rethinking its policy of original commissions at 8pm also states that its ‘keeping its eye’ on Then Late Late Show with James Corden. So it’s sounds like nothing is official yet.
    Unfortunately you have to subscribe for the full article:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/sky-1-rethinks-8pm-strategy/5090530.article
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ratings for late night TV at the moment although surely they'll start again in September. He's sending himself and the show up a lot more at the moment and there's even a semblance of an awkward pause to close the show. Maybe he's not the polar opposite of Craig ferguson after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    No ratings for late night TV at the moment although surely they'll start again in September. He's sending himself and the show up a lot more at the moment and there's even a semblance of an awkward pause to close the show. Maybe he's not the polar opposite of Craig ferguson after all.

Ratings for the late night talk shows continue throughout the summer, although there are a number of weeks where they air reruns (or encores as the media like to call them) so it’s sort of difficult to get any real value from them.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/07/16/late-night-tv-ratings-for-july-6-10-2015/432126/

In the 12:35pm slot, ‘encores’ of ‘Late Night with Seth Meyers’ (0.37/2 share) are still beating ‘encores’ of ‘The Late Late Show with James Corden’ (0.25/2 share). Although ‘Late Night’ has ‘The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon’ as a lead in, which dominates the late night ratings, so it does have an unfair advantage in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratings for the late night talk shows continue throughout the summer, although there are a number of weeks where they air reruns (or encores as the media like to call them) so it’s sort of difficult to get any real value from them.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/07/16/late-night-tv-ratings-for-july-6-10-2015/432126/

In the 12:35pm slot, ‘encores’ of ‘Late Night with Seth Meyers’ (0.37/2 share) are still beating ‘encores’ of ‘The Late Late Show with James Corden’ (0.25/2 share). Although ‘Late Night’ has ‘The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon’ as a lead in, which dominates the late night ratings, so it does have an unfair advantage in my opinion.
    Sure, but that was the week before. Last week both shows were airing new episodes..
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Didn't realise new episode were back on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Carpool Karaoke with James and Rod Stewart! :D Oh and Cat Deeley from CD:UK fame. Remember her? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure, but that was the week before. Last week both shows were airing new episodes..

The ratings will come, but it takes time. It's always difficult to get complete late night overnight ratings whatever the time of year, it's not just because its summer.

Septembers ratings are going to interesting though...
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he eligible for the Emmys this year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

He was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I’ve just watched last week’s shows and I too like the fact he’s taken a somewhat ‘non traditional’ approach to the genre – such as the ‘Talking the...’ bits and the 50th show celebration. And previous bits like hosting the show from a member of the public’s house.
    None of these bits are original in my opinion, in fact nothing that he’s doing is really original – he’s just using the same ideas from various talk shows past and present. But when you put them all together it creates something unlike any of the current crop. Admittedly it’s probably most like ‘The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon’, but does do things that make it slightly different, for example Jimmy Fallon doesn’t do any bits outside of the studio (but I acknowledge that Letterman did, and Conan still does).

Speaking of Craig Ferguson – I’m still wondering whether that bell on James Corden’s desk was a gift from Ferguson.
    dodrade wrote: »

It’s probably a bit soon considering ‘for your consideration’ discs would have been sent out some time ago so there would only have been a handful of shows to present highlights from. Whether he gets a nomination next year will be interesting.

But in a bit of good news for the Brits doing will in late night television – Last Week Tonight with John Oliver has been nominated for an Emmy.
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But in a bit of good news for the Brits doing will in late night television – Last Week Tonight with John Oliver has been nominated for an Emmy.

Well, Oliver is funny. Mostly.

Your boy Corden is an unsavory little man. I wonder what Ferguson had in mind.

Saw two seconds of him at Pink's trying to sell the patrons on a Corden Dog - they gave him the same looks I would have.

Time for him to pack up and go home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw two seconds of him at Pink's trying to sell the patrons on a Corden Dog - they gave him the same looks I would have.

Time for him to pack up and go home.

Pack up and go home? Not a chance!

We must differ because his Take A Break series is one of the funniest things about his show! Consistently good and consistently funny. It cracks me up! :D Honestly.

Going to Pinks Hot Dog's was ace. Best line of the clip:

Anyone want a True Detective Dog?
    It's a real mess and no one knows what the f*ck is going on! :D

Brilliant! His Donald Trump one was also a cracker!
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We must differ because his Take A Break series is one of the funniest things about his show! Consistently good and consistently funny. It cracks me up! :D Honestly.

MrSuper, I believe you! :)

I just find him unfunny and unlikeable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Trevor Noah the new host of The Daily Show is his guest this Tuesday apparently alone. This could be a good way of seeing if James Corden can pull off the one on one interview as abily as his predecessor.
    Forum Member
    I see Trevor Noah the new host of The Daily Show is his guest this Tuesday apparently alone. This could be a good way of seeing if James Corden can pull off the one on one interview as abily as his predecessor.
    Odette Annable is listed on wikipedia
    Forum Member

He can't have been in the US long enough if he thinks he's invented the burrito/wrap dog.

Seen plenty of them on food shows. Some even go the extra mile and deep fry the whole thing aswell. :o
    Forum Member
    I felt a bit sorry for Amy Smart last night. She must have said about five sentences throughout the whole show and most of that was about one minute before the end of the show when her movie was very shortly plugged.

It's not the first time it's happened when a more precieved famous guest is on the show and who already knows one of the other guests.
    Corden seems to go into boys club mode, like he did the other night when talking about childbirth and Coby Smulders was sitting there quiet for several minutes while he had a laugh with the boys.

Maybe that's something that he'll have to look at.

Not saying he's the only chat show host who does that, especially on shows where several guests are on the couch.

It's happened on Norton many times when he's been fawning over one particular guest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 3 guests is too much for a show like his and is better suited to just 2.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Craig seems to be back on TV but i think it's just a one off. Like the new hair do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au9ICNXq97Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUnzZLXtdQg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Craig seems to be back on TV but i think it's just a one off. Like the new hair do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au9ICNXq97Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUnzZLXtdQg
    Shame it couldn't have been on Comedy Central but he has a long term deal with Lionsgate who co-own EPIX so there could be more material on its way. He also has Celebrity Name Game which won an Emmy as best gameshow but this is more 'him'. Although it's a shame the plans for his early evening talk show were canned earlier this year