american odyssey

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
At does everyone think of the series so far? I've seen the 1st episode and really like it.
What do you all think?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=Ie43VfriBoHKaKObgJAI&url=http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3551796/&ved=0CCMQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNGX8Unyqn90a540KJ2xbyv0Bpmwxg

Comments

• silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it like Homeland??
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Is it like Homeland??

I've never watched homeland but I believe it's similar in styke
  • Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    Is it like Homeland??

I think it's far more gripping. The first few episodes have been really tense. I got bored with Homeland after a while, so I've got high hopes that this series maintains momentum. Early days though and it has a lot to live up to with Homeland's constant high ratings.
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving it just watched episode 3 last night and it's intense. I'm on the edge of my seat the whole show,can't wait for more. Also The Messangers - just watched the first episode that looks good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried the messengers but couldn't get into it
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of this show feels a little contrived. Odelle aiding two complete strangers when discovery of her true identity meant certain death, was incredulous.
    But this and a few other niggling moments don't distract from what is a great story.

Got to admit, I'm enjoying it.
  • tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    i think its very good....seems to have gone under the radar a bit..
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ratings are *awful*.

It'll probably get cancelled... Or be re-branded as a "limited event series" as a way of pretending that they never intended to make any more episodes anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really liking it. Don't know if this is because I've never watched homeland but I think it's great.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC have bought the rights to this show and plan to air it on BBC2. Embarrassingly for them it looks very possible the show will be cancelled. Its ratings are terrible.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always had a thing for Anna Friel but I thought this was a strange piece of casting.

There will be inevitable comparisons to Homeland but it is an altogether different show - more ambitious and complex and something you have to pay attention to. I'm enjoying it but I'm not surprised the ratings aren't great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was really enjoying it (see previous post) but I stopped watching after ep 7 because
    her family STILL didnt know she was alive, 7 episodes in!
    became to annoying.
    I've tried the messengers but couldn't get into it

Yes stopped with that at ep 4 because nothing seems to be happening. They all just keep meeting in different bars to say "whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy". ZZZZz
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The BBC have bought the rights to this show and plan to air it on BBC2. Embarrassingly for them it looks very possible the show will be cancelled. Its ratings are terrible.

Just saw a trailer for it under the original title of Odyssey.

The BBC haven't had much luck with US imports in recent years, the last proper hit was Heroes and it was nobbled after S1 by the writers strike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Just saw a trailer for it under the original title of Odyssey.

The BBC haven't had much luck with US imports in recent years, the last proper hit was Heroes and it was nobbled after S1 by the writers strike.

Do you know when it starts?
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've done a terrible job of promoting it over here, this is the first I've heard of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've done a terrible job of promoting it over here, this is the first I've heard of it.

I only knew about it because I watch a couple of streaming channels of american shows so see all the new ones/pilots and if I like the look of something I give it a go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Do you know when it starts?

Next Sunday 9:15, feature length episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next Sunday 9:15, feature length episode.

Thanks. I wouldn't have known as yet once again BBC2 have done a terrible job promoting this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billed in the Radio Times as "a Cbeebies version of Homeland!"
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Got this on now, already feels like a cheap version of Homeland.

Also, it's exposition central! In the first minute we had "We've caught him, here in North Africa?" "We weren't even looking for him, we were looking for his wife!" Totally breaks the fourth wall when the dialogue is written in such an obvious way.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billed in the Radio Times as "a Cbeebies version of Homeland!"

That's spot-on thus far. Friel is a ****ing terrible actress - Brookside was too good for her.

Thirteen episodes of this shit and just as they've gotten rid of Jonathan Strange!
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the first episode. Total sh@te
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast paced for the sake of it. Most characters are plastic and one sided. Cuts too quickly to another scene. Guaranteed to give a headache because of the shaky cam type of filming. Not a patch on Homeland.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree its too fast paced and cuts weirdly. Also it doesn't do time well, I've no idea how long everything seems to take.

Having said that Homeland and crazy Carrie has to be one of the most overrated shows on TV anyway.

I already prefer the setup of American Odyssey but wish it had a cable channel type production values.