Options

Why the Hate?

2»

Comments

• Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After rewatch I've decided I absolutely LOVE the almost people to bits, especially the dialogue betwen the 2 doctors at the beginning
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Clearly all these posters could NEVER watch a classic who story :p:p:p
    Also, have any of you actually watched The Hungry Earth/ Cold Blood recently? *shudders*

It's got nothing to do with classic Who it's due to the fact that it could easily have been a 1 parter but the fact it was a 2 parter it dragged it on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After rewatch I've decided I absolutely LOVE the almost people to bits, especially the dialogue betwen the 2 doctors at the beginning

I've just rewatched the almost people on iplayer and I really couldnt disagree more with anyone who says it's bad or boring or should have been 1 episode. Not only has got to be 1 of the most under rated episodes in a while, but I'd argue the almost people has to be 1 of the best in series 6, it's certainly better than later episodes such as Closing Time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just rewatched the almost people on iplayer and I really couldnt disagree more with anyone who says it's bad or boring or should have been 1 episode. Not only has got to be 1 of the most under rated episodes in a while, but I'd argue the almost people has to be 1 of the best in series 6, it's certainly better than later episodes such as Closing Time

Just give it a rewatch and then tell me how it's a bad episode

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011lqwt/Doctor_Who_Series_6_The_Almost_People/
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just give it a rewatch and then tell me how it's a bad episode

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011lqwt/Doctor_Who_Series_6_The_Almost_People/

I accept you like it, so do other people. However, I said previously that after watching it twice now I find hardly any improvement in the episode. I still find it dull. It really is a case of different tastes for different people. I don't see how any amount of rewatching to try and like an episode can be that fruitful. It can be improved but not necessarily better, as I've said about The Beast Below in the past.

:)
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I HATE The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People, it ranks as my second worst Doctor Who episode,the plot demands time for creations although "creepy" shouldn't be I lcuded like those stupid eyes. The solar tsunami is just a diversion, it should've been a 1-Parter as it was extremely boring. the actors do seem pretty bored, even Alfie doesn't jump about enthusiastically. Matthew Graham has written incredibly rubbish Doctr Who episodes and I'd fire him on the spot for the beyond awful scripts he's written. En Masse, I hate the Rebel Flesh /The Almost People, and I've watched it time and again to see if it'll change my mind but it's just made me hate it even worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved these episodes. The end of the second episode is the best and works so well as a payoff!
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Wasn't that the entire point of the two-parter? That the Gangers were exactly the same as the people they were copies of? They were both the father, just in different bodies (one biologically the father, the other the physical embodiment of the father's mind - memories and all). And that was the conclusion.

Hello Sebbie
    To reply to your point the gangers looked the same,felt the same BUT at the end of the day they were copies of a human. They never acknowledged themselves as human but as a seperate but just as worthy of life creation.

Its purely a personal view that the ganger Jimmy couldn't really replace the human Jimmy. I was actually thinking how strange it would be for his wife and son to be living with a ganger without knowing he was a ganger. Its a little creepy sorry :D
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Series 6 structure let it down immensely. The opening two parter was such a big story, and then the whole arc was just left dangling there until A Good Man Goes To War. The real kick in the teeth came at the end of Day of the Moon, which even described the episodes to follow as 'some adventures'. With that line, it was almost as if the show has created a hierarchy of episodes, so that anything that followed this bold US-two-parter is merely "some adventure".

The Rebel Flesh / The Almost People was an absolutely brilliant concept. It was quite a deep, moral plot at heart and had a lot of character moments. The setting was also quite effective)

I agree with the heirachy point.Yes the story sufferedin reception because of the story arc.The first two episodesof the season were really like the climax to the show and each standalone episode outside the main story arch would probably have been unfairly compared against them.
    Joanne1938 wrote: »
    As for the Rebel Flesh/Almost People, this was again a change from the previous (and stunning) Doctor's wife into a more mature, darker episode with bags of psychological subtext. The whole principal was that the Doctor was there to see if Amy could be a ganger, he wanted her out of the way at the beginning as he already suspected, and he used her as a Guinea Pig to see how easily a ganger could assimilate into an environment, by using a ganger of himself. The "story" itself was purely the backdrop, his "accident" in creating a ganger of himself wasn't an accident. Two stunning episodes in the context of the series.

Yes agree with all of the above Joanne. Of course we didnt know she was a ganger initially so its really interesting now when she lets slip about the Doctor's death to the real Doctor we thinking he is a ganger and he explodes attacking her.He keeps watching her throughout have you noticed.
    it should've been a 1-Parter as it was extremely boring. .

Sorry I will disagree here that it is boring. The dialogue is quite character driven and introspective and explores moral ambiguities on cloning. I think two parts balances the action and characterisation fairly well ( not perfectly ) considering the small cast. I think one part would have been rushing it.
  • Options
    smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would agree with general disappointment with Black Spot. Good concept and great cast wasted with bad editing, extremely squirm - inducing "nice" ending, and slow pace.

On the other extreme, Rebel Flesh / Almost Humans was a classic. Beautifully written, great acting, truly scary at times.

Certainly much better than The Doctor's Wife, not a bad episode itself but probably, along with The Eleventh Hour, the most inexplicably overrated story of recent years.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Sebbie
    To reply to your point the gangers looked the same,felt the same BUT at the end of the day they were copies of a human. They never acknowledged themselves as human but as a seperate but just as worthy of life creation.

Its purely a personal view that the ganger Jimmy couldn't really replace the human Jimmy. I was actually thinking how strange it would be for his wife and son to be living with a ganger without knowing he was a ganger. Its a little creepy sorry :D

That's kind of the point of the two eps, it clings on to our natural assumption that the Gangers are somehow different or bad and that's what the humans in the episode assume. The Doctor spends the whole two episodes telling them differently but it's still difficult to get your head around the idea that they're human...when they're not.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with classic Who it's due to the fact that it could easily have been a 1 parter but the fact it was a 2 parter it dragged it on.

... which is exactly the kind of arguement most people make about classic Who (especially '60s stories, though personally I prefer the slower pace :))

One thing I have found negative about Matt Smith's tenure actually has nothing to do with Smith himsef.

Has anyone else noticed how different the series sounds now? Eccleston/ Tennant stories had dialogue recorded and delivered in a bog standard everyone-gets-the-same-volume style. But in Smith's episodes (Esp. the beginning of The Doctor's Wife, for example,) Auntie and Uncle are very muted, almost mumbling their lines in the background whilst Idris is being all shouty and the Doctor noisily reacts to it. I know this is basically how we hear things in reality, so this could be regarded as a step forward, but as a viewer watching and trying to listen to what is going on I find it off putting :o
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Much as I love Series 6, even I find this story rather boring. It might have worked as one episode but as two, it really doesn't.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Much as I love Series 6, even I find this story rather boring. It might have worked as one episode but as two, it really doesn't.

If it were a single episode story, IMO they would have had to cut out the Ganger Doctor, because the episode would just be too crowded. each episode has some great scenes that could not be stuffed into a single episode without a bit of padding* thrown in.

*brain blank means I cannot remember the media term for "the beginning of the journey" :confused:
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Hello Sebbie

I see your point now. And I agree, it would be a little creepy. I think the fact that the humans 'dehumanised' the flesh copies was why they considered themselves different, but that was during the show. At the end they were trying to prove they were the same. Our, that's what I got from watching it. I love the two episodes, and I've watched them quite a few times, but it could be me applying things to out that aren't there...
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Curse of the black spot I don't like, mainly because of the ending where a bunch of 16th (?) century pirates learn to pilot such an advanced starship in so little time etc. The two parter Rebel Flesh/The Almost people, I did enjoy. It was a slower paced episode told an interesting story with a difficult dilema to resolve. It was almost a story about slavery in a way as many plantation opwners just viewed their slaves as disposable assets that were easlily replaced. I would much rather watch this two parter again than sit through several other stories I couls mention.