The Great Gatsby [2012]

1234568»

Comments

• maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very surprised to see that the UK get the DVD release on November 11th, that's 2 and a half months behind America.

Also rumored that the UK won't get a bonus features disc (like the US are getting). Wow.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Very surprised to see that the UK get the DVD release on November 11th, that's 2 and a half months behind America.

Also rumored that the UK won't get a bonus features disc (like the US are getting). Wow.

Bit like the release of Les Miserables minus the Sainsburys double disc
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < Completely agree. I don't buy him as Gatsby at all. Robert Redford was the perfect Gatsby >

No he wasn't. Robert Redford has absolutely masses of charisma and could never be anything other than a star of the brightest hue. If you read the book you will realise that the title is ironic.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    < Completely agree. I don't buy him as Gatsby at all. Robert Redford was the perfect Gatsby >

No he wasn't. Robert Redford has absolutely masses of charisma and could never be anything other than a star of the brightest hue. If you read the book you will realise that the title is ironic.

Of course the title's ironic, that's fairly obvious from the plot. But I think you're wrong to say Gatsby doesn't have charisma, in fact that's about the only thing he does have - enough charm to be able to create a whole false web of a life.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost sales for the UK DVD no doubt as DVD and Blu Ray rips are now around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost sales for the UK DVD no doubt as DVD and Blu Ray rips are now around.
    It gives an opportunity for people to watch the movie, and then invest in the DVDBluRay in due course...producers of Game of Thrones have been pleased about the ranking of the show within those downloaded, citing the news as being better than winning an Emmy, and allows the show to achieve far greater reach than anticipated.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very picky about what films i watch and then buy on dvd. I don't buy every film i like on DVD. It has to have that re-watch factor and this film had it.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    I am very picky about what films i watch and then buy on dvd. I don't buy every film i like on DVD. It has to have that re-watch factor and this film had it.

Hi that's good to hear, I haven't seen the film, was curious what people were saying about it now the hype has died.
    I agree though about re-watching films, There are some "classics" that I really have trouble watching again, Then there are others I can watch over and over.

I think it depends what mood you were in the first time you see a film as to whether it will stick with you. Which is why sometimes hype is counter productive to sales in the long run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course the title's ironic, that's fairly obvious from the plot. But I think you're wrong to say Gatsby doesn't have charisma, in fact that's about the only thing he does have - enough charm to be able to create a whole false web of a life.

I think you must have replied to the wrong person, because of course I most certainly did not write that Gatsby does not have charisma, as anyone could see.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I think you must have replied to the wrong person, because of course I most certainly did not write that Gatsby does not have charisma, as anyone could see.

No, the reply was aimed at you. You said that Robert Redford wasn't the perfect Gatsby. You also said that Redford had masses of charisma, so the implication is then that because of that, he wasn't suitable to play Gatsby. Otherwise the bit about Redford having lots of charisma doesn't really seem relevant at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < No, the reply was aimed at you. >

Then you should not have said that I said Gatsby had no charisma, when I most certainly did not say that, and did not imply it, it was just your incorrect inference.

The substantive point was that Robert Redford is a very good actor but that I thought he had too much obvious star quality for Gatsby. Actually I did not really buy him as Sundance either, because Sundance was supposed to be a bit dim which is so far from Redford as to be off the planet - that worked fine of course because of the comedy and brilliant writing. DeCaprio, judging from other parts I have seen, seems to be an excellent choice for Gatsby.

To put it another way (I hope this is not a spoiler - I have read the book a couple of times but not seen the new film yet) Gatsby loved the girl of his dreams and rather stalked her (to put it in current terms) but failed to get her. If it had been Redford, she'd never let him out of her sight. DeCaprio? Possibly, if the rival were rich enough.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw this last night. had heard of gatsby but had no idea what it was about, i thought the story would be a bit more epic but enjoyed the film nontheless

it looks brillaint and the soundtrack is great imo

7/10 good film