would a revert regeneration work?

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
Forum Member
what would happen after season 7 as 11 regenerates something stranges happens and he turns back into 10?

could this be possible and would you like it?

Comments

• mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    No. Regeneration moves the show forwards... not backwards! Ten was great, but he's gone. He can come back for multi-doctor specials, but full time would defeat the main point of regeneration.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would we want that to happen? :confused:
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Ten Is GONE!!!!!!!
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More importantly, 10 himslef said he couldnt change back so that cant happen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would people like this? Is it because they don't like Matt Smith or just to have an interesting regeneration storyline, or to troll? ;)
    If it's the second one that can be done in a different way, and if it's the third one they can STFU :D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why anybody would want this to happen...... :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. Would destroy that sense of them being gone forever. That said, I do like the idea of those Doctors being able to live somewhere else, like an alternative timeline such as the one the 2nd Doctor is often talked about having (i.e. Two Doctors)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More importantly, 10 himslef said he couldnt change back so that cant happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63bEgDpvLyU
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if it would be possible to affect the outcome of a regeneration, maybe by introducing additional genetic material. Perhaps if the Doctor were to snog Rory as he was regenerating, he would end up looking like Rory. :D

Romana seemed to be able to control her regeneration to a very high degree, effectively trying out several different bodies before deciding on one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    korbany wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be possible to affect the outcome of a regeneration, maybe by introducing additional genetic material. Perhaps if the Doctor were to snog Rory as he was regenerating, he would end up looking like Rory. :D

Romana seemed to be able to control her regeneration to a very high degree, effectively trying out several different bodies before deciding on one.
    She didn't go backwards though, did she? :p We do not need what people in here are suggesting, good explanation or not!
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A "revert regeneration" back to a previous incarnation of The Doctor would be a regression, NOT a regeneration!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    There was a similar thread like this on GB a while.

There would be no point in this at all. When 11 regenerates, it ain't gonna be as 10 or any previous version. It shouldn't be.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I miss 10 SO much, but Who moves on and I'm now really looking forward to a new 12!
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what would happen after season 7 as 11 regenerates something stranges happens and he turns back into 10?

Is it Possible?
    Anything is possible in Doctor Who.

Would I like it?
    No.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    A "revert regeneration" back to a previous incarnation of The Doctor would be a regression, NOT a regeneration!

A degeneration?
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Ten Is GONE!!!!!!!

No need to be rude. The op asked a perfectly legitimate question.
    While I agree it would push Doctor Who back instead of forward, if done permanently. It maybe an interesting storyline for an episode or two. Depends how it is done obviously.

If you want something along those lines, keep your fingers crossed for the 50th, as that's when it's most likely to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Smith degenerated into Tennant, would Tennant definitely regenerate back into Smith?
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A "revert regeneration" back to a previous incarnation of The Doctor
    would be a regression, NOT a regeneration!
    TEDR wrote: »
    A degeneration?
    TEDR wrote: »
    If Smith degenerated into Tennant, would Tennant definitely regenerate back into Smith?
    Some folks need to pick up a dictionary once in a while methinks. It would be a regression, NOT degeneration.

regression

re·gres·sion [ri-gresh-uhn]
    noun
    1. the act of going back to a previous place or state; return or reversion.
    2. retrogradation; retrogression.
    3. Biology . reversion to an earlier or less advanced state or form or to a common or general type.
    4. Psychoanalysis . the reversion to a chronologically earlier or less adapted pattern of behavior and feeling.

degeneration

de·gen·er·a·tion [dih-jen-uh-rey-shuhn]
    noun
    1. the process of degenerating.
    2. the condition or state of being degenerate.
    3. Pathology .
    a. a process by which a tissue deteriorates, loses functional activity, and may
    become converted into or replaced by other kinds of tissue.
    b. the condition produced by such a process.

Degeneration is what we all go through as part of the ageing process. The only incarnation of The Doctor that
    would actually be degenerating, is the copy of The 10th Doctor in the parallel universe with Rose Tyler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some folks need to pick up a dictionary once in a while methinks. It would be a regression, NOT degeneration.

Degeneration is as accurate a term as regeneration. It also has the charm of being a playful deliberate misuse.

Based on your post, I'd suggest that charm is a completely alien concept to you; luckily it seems you have a dictionary to hand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the eleventh Doctor regenerated into a body that was identical to the tenth Doctors, he would still have become the twelfth Doctor with all the memories and experiences of the previous eleven Doctors. He would not be the tenth Doctor. Even his personality wouldn't be the same as the tenth Doctors, it would be an evolution of the eleventh Doctors, which itself was an evolution of the tenth's.

Therefore it would still be classed as a regeneration, and definitely not a degeneration or a regression. It would still be a step forward, just an unusual one.

I suppose such a plot device could be used as a way to fool the Silence, as when 11 does eventually regenerate, they will know that he didn't die by Lake Silencio. Still I would prefer to see a brand new twelfth Doctor, maybe working alongside some of his or her younger selves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be like humans evolving into apes, it's not going to happen and that wouldnt be evolution anyway
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote the 11th Doctor in The Almost People - "Let it go, we've moved on!" :D
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Actually i think it would be possible. It was suggested at the end of The War Games that the Doctor could choose his appearence. Also look at Romanas regeneration she tried out several possiblilities before deciding on one. Would it have the same characteristics though is a different matter. I don't want it to happen but I believe under certain circumstances it would be possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the very last episode that there will ever be that could get that Doctor to 'regenerate' into William Hartnell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member

I wish I'd seen this before you got some of the posts below. There is a large group of people here who proclaim in the name of "moving forward" that David couldn't return, forget it and don't you dare mention it again. Their reasons are their own, I'd like to comment but won't for fear of upsetting the few who geuinely believe it and are not strugging to seperate objective discussion from sexual obsession.

Yes it could be done, quite easily, given the right plotline and creative input, but why? As much as it would be nice to see David return (though I'd proffer Christopher myself) Matt is doing a great job at the moment, and if there is a problem with Who its with the writers, not the cast. Whether its Matt or David in the role, they still can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. So could it happe? Yes. Should it happen? Maybe (given the right circumstances). Will it happen, No. Why? Stephen Moffatt's ego.