Options

Insurance claim

Goodboy2686Goodboy2686 Posts: 76
Forum Member
Hi,
My computer fell and broke, the screen, hard drive, cd writer all broke. I claimed on my insurance and they asked for it to be sent to them. I packed it up and sent it to them. I got called today to say that they will pay out for the original damage but that further damage had happened in transit and now the computer is irreparable. The money they are offering will not cover the cost of a brand new computer to replace the one I sent them. I marked the box as fragile and labelled it correctly with which way it was supposed to stand. I asked the insurance company for pictures of the damage, they have sent me 3 pictures of them opening the box, no damage is shown to the box and no damage is seen to the computer in these pictures, I'm not sure what to do as i am confident it was packed sufficiently. I am thinking the insurance company are trying to save money and not pay out for a new one as they are offering what Apple had said was needed prior to me sending it to them, I put the apple invoice in with the computer. Do I have any rights with this?

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would write to them telling them that if they do not improve their offer you will refer them to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If they respond that they will not do so, make a complaint

http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk
  • Options
    mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to exhaust there complaints procedure first before ombudsman will get involved.
    Raise a complaint with them and if it's not satisfactorily dealt with after 8 weeks then you can refer it on to the ombudsman.
    I don't know how home claims work as I deal with motor but mostly they will pay out a current market value for a car. So in essence they would allow you to buy a similar age and spec car again less the excess on your policy.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point out to them that it was sufficiently packed and that their photos show no sign of transit damage to the box or computer. Inform them therefore that any damage caused to the computer must have been the result of the original event for which they are responsible.
  • Options
    Goodboy2686Goodboy2686 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice people. I called Barclays today (who the insurance was with) and told them what was going on, I threatened to go through the complaints procedure and then to the ombudsman, anyways, long story short, they called back within the hour and said they we would be in touch in the next few days about replacing the computer. Seems a bit weird to me how they changed their minds so quickly
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ Thats insurance companies for you quite happy to take your money, quite happy for there to be errors on forms, when it's in their favour, but you try and get them to pay out, and they'll wheel out every trick in the book to avoid paying.